AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old November 8, 2022, 01:19   #11
Somedorkhasmyname
Rookie

Somedorkhasmyname is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_hunter View Post
Any vote for adding feature for player to place items into empty chests , locking them and persisting their location when dropped?
I'm not sure I see why that would be handy in any way, we have a house in town and anything you drop on a level doesn't vanish does it? But I only recently started playing again so I am probably missing something.

Personally I would love to see an expanded item list, I found my way in to the debug menu today and was shocked to see just how few artefacts there are in some categories. Even just some basic items other than dragon mail getting some(1?) resistances to things that are usually only resisted by artefacts etc. Nether? Life drain? Chaos? etc, would be extremely welcome.

I'm wary of suggesting anything that would make the game easier but I do feel that some of those artefact categories could use a few additions.

Last edited by Somedorkhasmyname; November 8, 2022 at 05:29.
Somedorkhasmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2022, 03:56   #12
iggy_hunter
Apprentice

Location: Sunny Jacksonville, FL ... contact me @ marc-johnston@outlook.com
iggy_hunter is on a distinguished road
Actually ... your probably right about the home. And yes ... the items are a bit stale and needing a revamp.
iggy_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2022, 06:37   #13
Somedorkhasmyname
Rookie

Somedorkhasmyname is on a distinguished road
Maybe if we could use chests after we find them? Store chests full of items in the house instead of items themselves? It's sort of an immaterial change as it's not like you can really go back to town to gear up for specific enemies in most cases, but it would stop the need to toss artefacts you're not using. (Who doesn't hate that?) Also if we did gain access to using chests ourselves maybe some later or bigger chests could be resistant to certain things? Acid or Fire, the idea being that spell casters could put books in them while dungeon crawling to stop them being destroyed. Speaking purely for myself I find the fact that as a spell caster my most powerful and hard to come by books can be destroyed a bit too severe. A fighter that loses his weapon isn't as hamstrung. The inv space, the weight on classes typically not immediately concerned with Str, then the efficiency lost if just one item vanishes. They're essentially the exhaust port on the Death Star, can this empire not be that silly?

The shops could also use a kick, I feel like they're all a bit superfluous after about lv20. I'm not sure if their stock is supposed to improve as your level does. But I do know I've spent several thousand turns changing their stock only to find a similarly useless list replacing the old one and I'm not that well equipped to begin with. I could probably buy my entire kit twice over with the money I am carting around, makes me wonder if cash should have weight assigned?

(Combining the above: Perhaps if you sell an artefact/unique/ego item to a shop, the shop could permanently hold on to it? So when their stock changes the item does not go away. That way if you ever want it back you could buy it again. Just a thought, and yes imo if you get 0 for it when selling it you should be able to buy it back for 0, or a set maximum amount?)

I could be wrong here, someone please point out if I am as I was quite young. But I have extremely vague recollections of occasionally seeing an artefact or some hugely powerful but relevant item in shops from time to time when all that existed was the acii version of the game?
Somedorkhasmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2022, 12:22   #14
fph
Veteran

fph is on a distinguished road
To be honest, I'd find having to move items in and out of chests utterly boring. It is very tedious in Nethack.
And code to put items back in chests is tedious to write and maintain.

My suggestion is to leave chests as they are. If we want to do anything with them, my suggestion is: chests have a guaranteed good / great item in them, and replace scrolls of acquirement. That would add them a nice mood kick to them: "oh cool, a good object!". And make them at least slightly different from "just one more key to press to get those items".
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2022, 11:02   #15
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Thanks iggy_hunter for adding my game idea to the backlog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_hunter View Post
Any vote for adding feature for player to place items into empty chests , locking them and persisting their location when dropped?
Gives me an idea for a new spell: elemental protection. The ability to give an item on the floor the "can't be harmed by acid" and "can't be harmed by fire" flags. I guess my point is, if you place some really good items in the chest, and those items are all impervious to fire and acid, and then you close the chest and lock it, and then a black dragonfly comes along and breathes on the chest and the chest gets destroyed, well suddenly all those fine, protected items you had that were invincible to destruction are now destroyed!

Those spells above are probably too overpowered at the CL they'd be useful to have. What if, instead, you could somehow create some rubble to hide and protect the chest under? Your items would still be vulnerable to *destruction* and Earthquakes, but that's a whole lot better than being easily destroyed by dragons, vortices and hounds.

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2022, 20:50   #16
iggy_hunter
Apprentice

Location: Sunny Jacksonville, FL ... contact me @ marc-johnston@outlook.com
iggy_hunter is on a distinguished road
FPH ... I think I agree with making chests worthy to find ...
iggy_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote