AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 8, 2016, 17:56   #21
t4nk
Swordsman

t4nk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by droof View Post
And getting 500 rooms right is a lot. Maybe C: lines can be made optional and defaulting to white?
Well, yeah, I was thinking about something along the lines of
Code:
if (color_map != NULL) {
    apply_color_map(color_map, other_params...);
}
/* else leave them white */
The color maps are just an idea though; it seems to me like the most straighforward way to get something working, but certainly there are numerous ways to do that.
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016, 18:54   #22
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I am still wondering about the usefulness of having different colored dots on the map. I understand it for terrain. But just because?
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016, 20:06   #23
t4nk
Swordsman

Art is useless, Pete
One thing where most of that code would be useful is 'blood splatter'. That is, in other games (Dungeon Crawl, DoomRL, Infra Arcana and other roguelikes), when you hit a monster, some tiles around it become bloody (red). The harder you hit, the more bloody tiles! It's great fun, and Angband really lacks it See https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/...loodspatter.cc for an example.
Old December 8, 2016, 20:33   #24
Pete Mack
Prophet

Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
UnAngband has blood spatter!
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016, 20:36   #25
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
UnAngband has blood spatter!
And fleeing enemies leave a trail of blood, allowing you to rest a bit before hunting them down. It's very cool.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016, 22:52   #26
droof
Apprentice

droof is on a distinguished road
I'm trying to bring color to the environment of Angband, dots are only part of it. Most RPGs have rich color environments that trigger emotion. For example World of Warcraft, every zone sets the mood with its own color theme. Disney uses different color shades for the same setting to trigger emotions like happiness, danger, mystery etc. Will this also work in 256 color text Angband? No idea, but it's worth a try I think.

I'm making a little progress thanks to t4nk and Nomad's comments. I'm testing with room_template.txt with only two rooms defined. One room has a color map. The color map is parsed and passed on to build_room_template(). This function isn't triggered yet, probably because of what Nomad said, the function is triggered from dungeon level 5 and up. I'm testing at level 1. I tried changing the room templates from level 5 to 1 in dungeon_profile.txt, but that change also doesn't trigger the function. So to test this, I need to dive to level 5 and use words of recall?

From what little I understand from the code, each terrain type has a terrain index from terrain.txt and a color index from z-color. Terrain bits from build_room_template() are set through square_set_feat(). This sets the appropriate terrain feature to a chunk / cave x y coordinate. And this information somehow ends up in grid_data_as_text() where the color of the feature type is displayed.

To color room templates, maybe I can pass along the color_map color with the feature index in build_room_template() and store both at the cave square coordinate. Is this what you meant with the additional attribute for cave.h:132, t4nk?

But grid_data_as_text() doesn't have current square coordinates or the cave object to look up and overrule the feature color for display. I should probably trace back from grid_data_as_text() until I have both and pass along the overriding color. Am I on the right track?
droof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016, 23:31   #27
takkaria
Veteran

takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Am I on the right track?
Yes. You will want to add a new member to the grid_data struct and make sure it gets set correctly, and then use the value in grid_data_as_text().
Old December 8, 2016, 23:48   #28
t4nk
Swordsman

So, it gets technical, I answered in the dev forum: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthr...266#post116266
Old December 8, 2016, 23:49   #29
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This function isn't triggered yet, probably because of what Nomad said, the function is triggered from dungeon level 5 and up. I'm testing at level 1. I tried changing the room templates from level 5 to 1 in dungeon_profile.txt, but that change also doesn't trigger the function. So to test this, I need to dive to level 5 and use words of recall?
You can use the debug tools for testing. ^A will get you the debug prompt, and if you type ? at that prompt it gives you a help page with a list of commands you can use there. Particularly useful ones:

j - jump to any dungeon level
t - teleport around the current level
W - "wizard light" the level (maps out everything like quaffing enlightenment)
c - create an object from a menu (so you can make rods of detection and such)
A - level up to level 50 and max your stats (useful to avoid getting killed while you're testing at deep levels)

My usual method for testing room layouts:

- switch on cheat_room
- jump to a deep level like 60-80 where template rooms are really common
- hop around the level with t until I wind up close to a staircase
- stairscum until cheat_room tells me the room I'm looking for has been generated
- wizard light the level so I can see where it is
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2016, 08:00   #30
droof
Apprentice

droof is on a distinguished road
Why isn't every room on every dungeon level generated from room_template.txt? Rooms like simple and circular can be added and with over 500 rooms and growing it shouldn't get repetitive. And I assume room_template.txt is meant for normal rooms, not like rare dangerous vaults and pits.

If we can make every dungeon level interesting with room templates, why shouldn't we do that?
droof is offline   Reply With Quote