Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2018, 13:14   #1
Quirk
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 288
Quirk is on a distinguished road
Looking for beta feedback

The beta has had quite a few downloads by now, but I'm lacking feedback on the changes made, particularly to archery, which is holding me back from moving on to new development.

So - if you've played the new beta and particularly if you have tried the archery changes, please let me know your thoughts.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2018, 14:09   #2
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 2,021
wobbly is on a distinguished road
Played a bunch of Eden, not much feedback other then 1 con isn't a lot of hps and 2 not much better. Phantoms are sort of cute, sort of annoying. They seem a little too common. Bit the bullet & started a Finarfin so I'll have a better idea how stealth/archery is working once I find a bow.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2018, 14:45   #3
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran
 
HugoTheGreat2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mid-Atlantic, U.S.
Age: 36
Posts: 1,037
HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quirk, is the new beta already on the webserver? For me, I prefer the beta to be there so you can watch what I'm doing, etc.

Edit - The latest beta was already there beforehand...I didn't realize
__________________
I play Hugostyle on angband.live!

My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; November 13, 2018 at 15:01.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2018, 04:57   #4
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 2,021
wobbly is on a distinguished road
So as you can see I'm not having the greatest time getting an archer to start at the moment, out of practice rather then a change in the variant. I can say steady hands looks ok from the perspective of melee using archery to hit vampire lords.

I do have some old stuff (as old as Sil) which is unfortunately bugs & UI issues. Listen doesn't play well with the 'L'ook command. If I shift the screen left & right I get astrixs disappearing. It also doesn't play well with save & load, you have to move after loading to see anything. Targeting off-screen is also a pain, it won't select with cycle or closest & you have to manual target, push the screen with the cursor, do it all again next turn.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2018, 09:19   #5
Quirk
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 288
Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I do have some old stuff (as old as Sil) which is unfortunately bugs & UI issues. Listen doesn't play well with the 'L'ook command. If I shift the screen left & right I get astrixs disappearing. It also doesn't play well with save & load, you have to move after loading to see anything. Targeting off-screen is also a pain, it won't select with cycle or closest & you have to manual target, push the screen with the cursor, do it all again next turn.
Thanks very much for the testing wobbly. I'll take a look at Listen, I suspect it will be something to do with the way it randomises the chance of seeing an asterisk or not. Targeting might be a riskier thing to fix if I'm going for a non-beta release, some of that code may be a little more arcane if I recall right, but I can take a look at that too.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018, 14:46   #6
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran
 
HugoTheGreat2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mid-Atlantic, U.S.
Age: 36
Posts: 1,037
HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
I gotta say - I definitely favor the change that increased the accuracy to non-bonii Glaives and Polearm Mastery. I don't remember if that was Quirk or half. I like the way these accuracy bonuses are now because they help me patent my Belegost starts (even if they're intended to do better with Axes)...at least until I get my melee accuracy above 10 in the early game.

For the future - whatever you do, DON'T remove Song of Challenge! It works for me!
__________________
I play Hugostyle on angband.live!

My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2018, 09:32   #7
Angriath
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 6
Angriath is on a distinguished road
Just dumped my latest and most successful playthrough thus far, it was originally a melee character but I changed to archery when I found some gear that boosted it and I enjoyed trying it out. Archery was really effective until I got to about 700 feet, after that there were lots of shadow enemies I had to deal with that I was spamming arrows at but couldn't really hit or do enough damage to, the serpents posed quite a problem too so I guess I should have taken up dedication and put some more points into archery rather than branching out as much as I did. I took the songs just to experiment on what they did because I figured they would compliment archery but I couldn't find much use for the ones I had.

Also I found a room that seemed to spawn infinite whispering shadows and I stood there killing lots of them for a long time to see if they'd ever stop coming, not sure if that's intentional or not. One floor I descended to also didn't have any stairs down but it was small only one or two rooms with some strong enemies, I looked around for secret doors but didn't find any before just going back up the stairs.
Angriath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2018, 18:25   #8
Quirk
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 288
Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angriath View Post
Just dumped my latest and most successful playthrough thus far, it was originally a melee character but I changed to archery when I found some gear that boosted it and I enjoyed trying it out. Archery was really effective until I got to about 700 feet, after that there were lots of shadow enemies I had to deal with that I was spamming arrows at but couldn't really hit or do enough damage to, the serpents posed quite a problem too so I guess I should have taken up dedication and put some more points into archery rather than branching out as much as I did.
Congratulations on making it down to 750'. It does look like you were a bit low on light to face all the shadow enemies, it's hard to hit shooting in the dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angriath View Post
I took the songs just to experiment on what they did because I figured they would compliment archery but I couldn't find much use for the ones I had.
Elbereth is good for archers - it will cause Morgoth's horde (orcs, trolls, balrogs, werewolves, etc) to flee, and a few of the smarter and deadlier other foes (drakes and dragons, the more dangerous spiders, etc). It doesn't help much with serpents unfortunately. I recently took it on a song archer and it performed well (http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22098). For archers I would also recommend Song of Trees, which fixes a lot of the light problems.

Lorien is strong on high-stealth builds, once you have a lot of song. It's the main way to play pacifists e.g. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=21310. However if you're not extremely stealthy you'll wake foes back up, and if you don't have a lot of song you won't be very good at putting them to sleep, so it won't work so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angriath View Post
Also I found a room that seemed to spawn infinite whispering shadows and I stood there killing lots of them for a long time to see if they'd ever stop coming, not sure if that's intentional or not. One floor I descended to also didn't have any stairs down but it was small only one or two rooms with some strong enemies, I looked around for secret doors but didn't find any before just going back up the stairs.
Whispering shadows breed infinitely in the darkness. With enough light it's safe to go and clear them out, but you didn't have much.

Occasionally you get cut off from down stairs by chasms, but otherwise I can pretty much guarantee there will have been a secret door if you had the Perception to spot it.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2018, 06:14   #9
MITZE
Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Posts: 103
MITZE is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb RFE/Bugfix

Auto-stop singing Song of Challenge if the player get terrified; it seems disingenuous to continue singing (especially that song) when you've gotten scared out of your wits.
__________________
Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.
MITZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2018, 08:37   #10
Quirk
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 288
Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MITZE View Post
Auto-stop singing Song of Challenge if the player get terrified; it seems disingenuous to continue singing (especially that song) when you've gotten scared out of your wits.
Good call! I'd never seen that interaction.

I feel like Elbereth or Staying or Trees might be more justifiable when scared though.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feedback on 4.0.5 from a 3.0.3 (?) player konijn_ Vanilla 11 November 18, 2016 02:49
1.2 endgame feedback debo Sil 24 January 9, 2014 14:13
[3.4.0] feedback Estie Vanilla 40 December 1, 2012 16:12
Minor 3.3.0 feedback bron Vanilla 53 September 18, 2011 03:33
Some feedback on pseudo-id fph Vanilla 11 August 15, 2010 19:17


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.