AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 10, 2016, 02:51   #1
calris
Adept

calris is on a distinguished road
Home Inventory Management Advice

Hi Guys,

I've usually played with High Elf Mages, but I've been trying out the Rune ID branch with a Dunadan Mage - I've upload a dump of his progress here

I'm running out of room in my home and I'm wondering what is save to just get rid of - Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: Oops - Dunadan warrior

Last edited by calris; April 10, 2016 at 03:43.
calris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016, 03:39   #2
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Lets see what IŽd drop:

- resist poison ring - Barahir covers rpoison.
- body armours: all except Caspanion
- all cloaks; if you really, really love shard resist, keep of protection
- Paurnimmen: no FA or dex, never gonna use it with a mage
- all melee weapons: Ringil is far superior; not even fire immunity is keeper, as mage can buff double resist which is sufficient.

Edit: some corrections, I see that that is a warrior; advice was assuming a mage which is, I suppose, a typo in your post:

as above, except keep Paurnimmen and Colluin. In fact, wear Colluin and drop Aman.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016, 03:50   #3
calris
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Lets see what IŽd drop:
- resist poison ring - Barahir covers rpoison.
Thought I had already gotten rid of that (hence the {ignore})

Quote:
Edit: some corrections, I see that that is a warrior; advice was assuming a mage which is, I suppose, a typo in your post:
Yeah, big typo

Quote:
as above, except keep Paurnimmen and Colluin. In fact, wear Colluin and drop Aman.
Aman is giving me Nether resist otherwise I would swap it for Colluin in heartbeat. I think Nether may be a tad bit important
Old April 10, 2016, 04:17   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by calris View Post
Aman is giving me Nether resist otherwise I would swap it for Colluin in heartbeat. I think Nether may be a tad bit important
Being able to get double resistance to basic elements is more important than having nether resistance. A single-resisted elemental breath can deal up to 533 damage, while a nether breath can deal up to 550 -- which type of attack is more common? Not to mention the savings on inventory damage.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016, 04:24   #5
calris
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Being able to get double resistance to basic elements is more important than having nether resistance. A single-resisted elemental breath can deal up to 533 damage, while a nether breath can deal up to 550 -- which type of attack is more common? Not to mention the savings on inventory damage.
Didn't realise that nether breath maxed out that low - I'm now running at 1032HP, so I guess I can handle it.

I'm assuming Nexus is similar? I could ditch the Amulet of Trickery for an Amulet of ESP if that is the case - I'll lose 3 Dex and 3 Speed though - Is ESP worth it?
Old April 10, 2016, 04:35   #6
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Nether is merely a nice to have, even in the end-game battles, not a requirement. Element resists, however, are musts.

ESP trumps Trickery, but keep the trickery around for when you have ESP covered elsewhere.

And what are you doing hanging around, grinding levels? Your @ has enough to go for the bosses. Dive, dive, dive! Go take out Sauron, at least.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016, 04:40   #7
calris
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
And what are you doing hanging around, grinding levels? Your @ has enough to go for the bosses. Dive, dive, dive! Go take out Sauron, at least.
A few reasons - Lot's of Uniques that I'm chewing through, building up my potion stash, but mostly because I went from like 5 speed to 30+ speed in the last few hundred feet.

So yeah, diving now
Old April 10, 2016, 04:42   #8
Estie
Veteran

Quote:
Didn't realise that nether breath maxed out that low - I'm now running at 1032HP, so I guess I can handle it.

I'm assuming Nexus is similar? I could ditch the Amulet of Trickery for an Amulet of ESP if that is the case - I'll lose 3 Dex and 3 Speed though - Is ESP worth it?
Yes ESP is worth it, and inscribe your helm of telepathy with !k. You really want ESP and helm is one of the rare sources. In your case, IŽd prefer rconf over rnexus (assuming you dont lose #blows from lowering dex), but that might change later depending on what you find.
Old April 10, 2016, 04:57   #9
calris
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Yes ESP is worth it, and inscribe your helm of telepathy with !k. You really want ESP and helm is one of the rare sources. In your case, IŽd prefer rconf over rnexus (assuming you dont lose #blows from lowering dex), but that might change later depending on what you find.
I'm running without Nether or Nexus now, but have ESP and activation for double resistances.

Fingolfin is now pretty useless except for the dex bonus and Celegorm is only adding blind res. Only running 18/140 strength, but I think the extra ~240HP from my new ring of con +6 is more important.
Old April 10, 2016, 05:59   #10
Estie
Veteran

Quote:
I'm running without Nether or Nexus now, but have ESP and activation for double resistances.

Fingolfin is now pretty useless except for the dex bonus and Celegorm is only adding blind res. Only running 18/140 strength, but I think the extra ~240HP from my new ring of con +6 is more important.
Fingolfin useless eh. Nevermind the paltry (+10, +10)

If nothing else, it adds 60 damage. But if strength is below max, a pair of gauntlets of power can easily top that as the damage bonus from strength is ridiculously high when str is close to the cap.