AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 15, 2011, 16:19   #1
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Stat/exp increase doesn't update current HP/SP

This sounds like a bug to me...

For example, let's say a character is fully healed at 100/100 HPs. Then I find a ring of constitution +3 and equip it. Now the character has 100/120HPs, as if it had been injured in the process...

Same thing happens when you increase your INT/WIS for SP, or when you gain a level for both HP and SP.

When did this behavior change? And why? I remember clearly that you used to have HP/SP adjusted when you raised INT/WIS/CON or gained a level before...
Old February 15, 2011, 16:24   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Your memories must be of a variant, because Vanilla has always been like this. I'm not saying it's right, might you. It would be straightforward to update your current HP/SP so that the ratio of current:max was maintained.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2011, 16:39   #3
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Your memories must be of a variant, because Vanilla has always been like this. I'm not saying it's right, might you. It would be straightforward to update your current HP/SP so that the ratio of current:max was maintained.
I love that moment of fear when you kill something OoD clevel 1 and all the sudden you get a low hitpoint warning because your HP tripled.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2011, 17:04   #4
Raxmei
Apprentice

Raxmei is on a distinguished road
Angband's been like that for as long as I can remember. Adom does increase currrent HP when you level. I can't count the number of times levelling up has saved the life of a character in a tight spot in that game. If Angband did change that would reduce the annoyance factor of using certain swap equipment but that's about all that I'd really notice.
Raxmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2011, 18:13   #5
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Sangband scales HP/SP now. But it's not standard Angband practice.
Old February 16, 2011, 12:45   #6
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Alright... diving into the source, I found traces of code dealing with maintaining current HP/max HP ratio (and current SP/max SP ratio). The system was changed... in Angband 2.8.1! From the change list:

Quote:
•The player's current mana/hitpoints are no longer adjusted when the maximum mana/hitpoints change, except to enforce maximum limits. Among other things, gaining a level no longer raises the player's current mana/hitpoints immediately. This prevents some bizarre implications of the old adjustment semantics
I guess it was easier to remove the feature than to fix it...