Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old January 22, 2014, 11:59   #1
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Sil on OS X Mavericks

Has anyone here tried Sil on Mavericks? I upgraded my dev machine and found that I can *only just* continue to compile the game for Mac (using the ageing Carbon setup) but cannot actually *play* it on my Mavericks Mac (including older versions of Sil downloaded from the website). That means I'm out of luck for developing on Mavericks and I'll need to revert to Mountain Lion.

Has anyone else tried it on Mavericks? Did it run?
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014, 12:09   #2
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I just downloaded 1.2.1 Mac and ran it on mavericks, worked fine. (I got past stat allocation and was running around 50'.)

When does yours bork?
Old January 22, 2014, 14:24   #3
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I just downloaded 1.2.1 Mac and ran it on mavericks, worked fine. (I got past stat allocation and was running around 50'.)

When does yours bork?
Mine would produce an incorrectly sized black window on the screen, then crash.

I'm glad to hear that it worked for you though. The problem might have been caused by some kind of corruption due to running a version that was broken (before I worked out how to coax it to compile properly). I foolishly didn't try running Sil before I tried compiling it. I've reset back to Mountain Lion via Time Machine, but might try upgrading again on the weekend and see if it works when I don't do any messed up compilation.
Old January 23, 2014, 00:16   #4
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
I've been using Maverick since it first came out and no problems at all : )
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2014, 07:32   #5
absolutego
Scout

absolutego is on a distinguished road
i've never been able to run the site's binaries, they always crash on start-up for me.

i tried building it with X support once and i got a "launching sil" prompt over and over, so maybe something's weird on my system. i didn't mess with the xcode build because it wanted me to install ten trillion gigabytes.
absolutego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2014, 19:45   #6
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutego View Post
i've never been able to run the site's binaries, they always crash on start-up for me.

i tried building it with X support once and i got a "launching sil" prompt over and over, so maybe something's weird on my system. i didn't mess with the xcode build because it wanted me to install ten trillion gigabytes.
Someone else. With me the binaries worked fine until recently but after a system update in December or November they stopped doing so, 10.6.8 here. What I found so surprising was that it suddenly changed. Since then I play in virtualbox, but it is really tedious.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2014, 11:50   #7
half
Knight

The main aim for 1.3 is to get tiles working properly. This will involve moving the Mac front end from the antiquated 'Carbon' to the still current 'Cocoa'. Hopefully as a side effect it will quash this lingering 'crash at launch' bug and the 'ask for admin password on savefile load' bug.

It will probably require some outside assistance though, as I know nothing about Mac programming (either Carbon or Cocoa) and the Cocoa main file can't simply be slotted in since it is designed for the new file hierarchy of source code files that Vanilla introduced a decade or so ago, after Sil split off.
Old January 28, 2014, 18:38   #8
molybdenum
Apprentice

molybdenum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
The main aim for 1.3 is to get tiles working properly. This will involve moving the Mac front end from the antiquated 'Carbon' to the still current 'Cocoa'. Hopefully as a side effect it will quash this lingering 'crash at launch' bug and the 'ask for admin password on savefile load' bug.

It will probably require some outside assistance though, as I know nothing about Mac programming (either Carbon or Cocoa) and the Cocoa main file can't simply be slotted in since it is designed for the new file hierarchy of source code files that Vanilla introduced a decade or so ago, after Sil split off.
I'll take a look at the source and see if I can provide any help. Carbon is pretty much fully deprecated by Apple at this point. My plan is to implement the last few outstanding features of the V Carbon port in a rewrite of the OS X front end. Hopefully, it'll make it a bit easier for variant maintainers to update as well.
molybdenum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 23:05   #9
phaethon
Rookie

phaethon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
Mine would produce an incorrectly sized black window on the screen, then crash.

I'm glad to hear that it worked for you though. The problem might have been caused by some kind of corruption due to running a version that was broken (before I worked out how to coax it to compile properly). I foolishly didn't try running Sil before I tried compiling it. I've reset back to Mountain Lion via Time Machine, but might try upgrading again on the weekend and see if it works when I don't do any messed up compilation.
I just got a new mac (OS X 10.9.3), and this is exactly what happens for me as well when trying to use the precompiled app (from the amirrorclear site). I get error messages when trying to make from source. Has anyone gotten around this?
phaethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014, 05:31   #10
phaethon
Rookie

phaethon is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm about to retire my ~2011 Mac, and it looks like I'll have no easy way to play Sil til the next update. I tried using Wine on the Windows binaries, and it works kind of, but it isn't stable. I've tried editing down the source code to get main-crb.c to build, but I haven't been successful. The NewGWorld function call caused errors, but I could just delete the entire function that was calling it, since it looks like it is only there for non-ASCII graphics support. The next errors were related to CopyBits, which looks like it relates to quickdraw? At this point I think I'm out of my depth. I snooped around the Angband 3.5 source (which builds successfully) to see if I could find some workarounds, but the code is different enough that I was unsuccessful.

The only thing I haven't tried is trying to build an X11 version using the linux makefile and running it through XQuartz. Anyone else done that?

Anyone have any ideas or anything they've done that worked? I guess VirtualBox is an option, but that is so resource hungry I don't think it'll work for me. Any other option? Half, any updates on Cocoa support? I promise I'm not rushing you, but if you're almost done I'd like to know so I can quit killing myself with workarounds and just wait.

(Please forgive the double post)
phaethon is offline   Reply With Quote