Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 24, 2019, 04:47   #261
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I like these. I always thought angband was sparse on glass cannons. The damage is nasty but after the 1st I've never let 1 get into melee range. Is there lore behind them? Could they appear with an appropriate 'p' as a hunting falcon? Maybe a blackguard or druid?
In "The Fall of Gondolin" it is mentioned that Morgoth used "creatures of blood", including falcons. So there's not an obvious 'p' to put with them; on the other hand, IIRC O has a "storm of birds" trap, and they would make a really nasty summon.

The way they actually work came about just from thinking about what would be dangerous about a falcon.
Old February 25, 2019, 20:59   #262
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
I’m very happy to see an Uber dragon, and GWoAnnihilation sounds much better than a GWoP. Just need to rename PDSM to ADSM and it’s sorted! But I agree with others that this should be a ‘new’ beastie. Not sure how I feel about Law worms though. Does seem a little naff. You could have GWoForce (sound, force, inertia) and GWoChaos and GWoBalance, maybe? As forces follow the laws of nature? Then these three would sit just below GWoAnnihilation.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2019, 21:15   #263
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Ideally the DSM for the dragon would provide resistance to what the dragon breathes, and there's no force or inertia resistance in the game (nor IMO should there be).

I stand by my Order suggestion earlier, but failing that a Dragon of Storms that breathes sound and shards seems pretty plausible. There's some nominal overlap with Sky Dragon of course, and it does leave the Balance dragon in kind of an odd spot.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2019, 22:10   #264
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Don't we already have a great storm wyrm that breathes lightning?
Old February 25, 2019, 22:54   #265
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Don't we already have a great storm wyrm that breathes lightning?
Dangit, you're right. I am not on top of things today.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2019, 07:19   #266
Glorfindel
Apprentice

Glorfindel is on a distinguished road
Is this still the right place to post ideas and opinions on new features and monsters? I have rather a few things I would like to talk about, but given that no one has posted on this thread for a month, I am somewhat in doubt as to whether it is still the place.

Should I revive the thread? Or is there someplace where the discussion is going on now, where I should be posting? Or should I start a new thread?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2019, 09:54   #267
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Is this still the right place to post ideas and opinions on new features and monsters? I have rather a few things I would like to talk about, but given that no one has posted on this thread for a month, I am somewhat in doubt as to whether it is still the place.

Should I revive the thread? Or is there someplace where the discussion is going on now, where I should be posting? Or should I start a new thread?
Just on the current master thread is where that discussion's been going.
Old March 27, 2019, 20:28   #268
Glorfindel
Apprentice

Glorfindel is on a distinguished road
Thank you.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2019, 06:38   #269
MITZE
Adept

MITZE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I must say, I find the whole law/chaos/balance thing a bit forced. I can understand the concept, and chaos and disenchantment work fine for the chaotic side, but I don't really see anything particularly lawful about sound and shards.
Rather late, somewhat random, and from a person who hasn't been keeping close tabs on V development, but I think the reasoning behind law being sound/shards is that Sound is nominally meant to invoke the premise of a being shouting commands (command => order => law), while Shards is meant to invoke the idea of crystals, which have very ordered atomic/molecular/ionic/whatevern structure.

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Last edited by MITZE; March 29, 2019 at 06:40. Reason: Minor grammatical edits.
MITZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2019, 15:18   #270
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MITZE View Post
Rather late, somewhat random, and from a person who hasn't been keeping close tabs on V development, but I think the reasoning behind law being sound/shards is that Sound is nominally meant to invoke the premise of a being shouting commands (command => order => law), while Shards is meant to invoke the idea of crystals, which have very ordered atomic/molecular/ionic/whatevern structure.
Thank you for posting this! I really liked the mystery surrounding the name for Great Wyrms of Law and was really hoping there was some kind of obscure, high brow logic to it, and I wasn't myself at all close to to coming up with any. I'd say your explanation is pretty darn good! I guess with that, I'd like to put in my vote for keeping the current names and order of Law/Chaos great wyrms beneath Great Wyrms of Balance.

And, if I may be so bold, I don't see what's wrong with adding two new dragons even more terrible (and more rare) than the GWofB for native depth of DL90 and DL95: a Great Wyrm of Power (4800hp) that breathes all the elements PDSM resists, which, if I'm not mistaken, is all the elements of all the dragons in Angband combined, less Dracolisks and Dracoliches. And then there was the Great Wyrm of Annihilation (6000hp) that legends daren't tell of, all but gone out of memory and time. Greater even than a Great Wyrm of Power. It breathes everything as well as nether and nexus. And since it isn't tied to any armor, it also breathes the non resistable elements: force, inertia, gravity and Time. To help distinguish Annihilation dragons from power dragons they're twice as likely to breath nexus, nether, inertia, gravity, force and Time over the other breath types:

Multihued dragons: fire, cold, acid, lightning, poison
Pseudo dragons: light, dark
Law drakes: sound, shards
Chaos drakes: chaos, disenchantment
Balance drakes: sound, shards | chaos, disenchantment
Dracolisks: fire, nexus (only dragons without an armor counterpart)
Dracoliches: cold, nether (should there be corresponding armor?)
Great Wyrms of Power: fire, cold, acid, lightning, poison, light, dark, sound, shards, chaos, disenchantment
Great Wyrms of Annihilation: fire, cold, acid, lightning, poison, light, dark, sound, shards, chaos, disenchantment, nexus, nether, inertia, gravity, force, Time.

Great Wyrm of Power description:
It seems that all the ruin and woe of all dragonkind are met in one vile visage that now stands before you. Death draws near as it approaches.

Great Wyrm of Annihilation description:
A dragon so terrible and so rare that no stories of its terror survive in the hearts of living men. It's existence scarcely known through the ages. What little knowledge that e'er survived of it's unspeakable deeds through history has long since dissipated into the ether, gone out of memory and time. No thought of it remains. Except now: in the furthest reaches of the deepest dungeons of Angband, its ghastly call echoes in your mind. As you gaze upon it disbelievingly, you struggle to make out its true form.

*maniacally rubs hands together* This would please me greatly.