Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 3, 2008, 08:57   #11
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
PS: swamp wyrms breathe poison for 800 damage. Don't try them without rpoison. Bile wyrms breathe acid, and are essentially harmless to you character.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2008, 16:33   #12
Wraitheist
Adept

Wraitheist is on a distinguished road
Ah, thanks. I have rPoison, but it still hurts, so I'll probably avoid swamp wyrms for now.

The most dangerous monster for me so far has been some unique who breathed frost on me. (I didn't realize he was there, else I would have TO'd him). Took me down to 100-something HP, even with rBase. I don't know that I'd want to face him even casting resist cold.

And I do light up each level I fight. As soon as I enter, I cast detect. Then, assuming I have some room, I cast Clairvoyance. After that, even with ESP, I still cast detect regularly.

Another question: Should I be carrying wands of dragon breath or annihilation or anything like that? Or should I rely on my ranged and melee weapons and the orb for damage? Also, do I need a digging tool or is using my melee weapon fine?
Wraitheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2008, 17:47   #13
aeneas
Adept

aeneas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraitheist View Post
Ah, thanks. I have rPoison, but it still hurts, so I'll probably avoid swamp wyrms for now.
Yep, sorry about the mix-up with the Wyrms- I edited it as soon as I realized what I'd written. I had been awake for a bit too long at that point, and I tend to just think of them as Green Wyrms and Black Wyrns, etc .

Quote:
The most dangerous monster for me so far has been some unique who breathed frost on me. (I didn't realize he was there, else I would have TO'd him). Took me down to 100-something HP, even with rBase. I don't know that I'd want to face him even casting resist cold.
This is why you want to be very careful about anything whose characteristics you don't know. That might have been Huan, who also breathes shards (which you lack a resistance for). Note that anything with an elemental attack you only single resist can do that same amount of damage to you if it has enough hp to reach the damage cap- everything big does the same amount of damage (with a given elemental breath) when at full health.

Quote:
And I do light up each level I fight. As soon as I enter, I cast detect. Then, assuming I have some room, I cast Clairvoyance. After that, even with ESP, I still cast detect regularly.
That's good- that first char that should have won that I mentioned died to running down a dark corridor that contained both Huan and a Great Wyrm of Balance. Or rather, not running but instead tap-tap-tapping. I would have survived the first tap. Anyway, it's very nice to have everything lit up without having to spend a turn and risk waking things up. Clairvoyance is a really nice spell.

Quote:
Another question: Should I be carrying wands of dragon breath or annihilation or anything like that? Or should I rely on my ranged and melee weapons and the orb for damage? Also, do I need a digging tool or is using my melee weapon fine?
If you've got the slots there's no harm in carrying something that does good damage at a distance, but be aware of what resists what- not much point in using Dragon's Flame on something that resists it. I generally don't carry diggers- better to use stone to mud as you are less likely to wake something up wherever you are digging into. I don't do a lot of digging though.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2008, 17:51   #14
Wraitheist
Adept

Coincidentally, I just found the Mattock of Nain and, from what I can tell, it is about on par with Orcrist for me (being one of the few weapons that doesn't penalize priests that I have at the moment). I slays just about everything, but does lack a brand. On the other hand, it gives me rDisenchantment.
Old September 3, 2008, 18:22   #15
Pete Mack
Prophet

The Mattock of Nain is the second-best digger-weapon in the game. I recently killed Sauron (in melee) with it, also as a priest. It's certainly better than Orcrist, and it's really nice to be able to make an anti-summoning corridor at the drop of a hat. (tunnelling+6 is a lot.)
Old September 3, 2008, 22:47   #16
Wraitheist
Adept

Good...thought maybe I was calculating the damage wrong. It is my weapon of choice for now!

How exactly does one dig an anti-summoning corridor?
Old September 3, 2008, 23:15   #17
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
Something like this, where "L" is whatever you're trying to fight:

Code:
########
###.####
####L###
###@####
########
edit: this is the simplest version, you can add layers to it if you want, but this removes breath attacks and space for summoning
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2008, 23:39   #18
Wraitheist
Adept

Thanks for the illustration. How does it remove breath attacks, though? Will monsters not breathe when right next to you?

While we are talking about breath attacks...is it true that breath attacks hurt less as the monsters hps go down? Does distance from the monster when it breathes make any difference?
Old September 4, 2008, 00:33   #19
Pete Mack
Prophet

I think what was meant was that it removes distance attacks from other (ie summoned) monsters. There's also the "hockey stick ASC" which is super cheesy and gets used to remove all attacks whatsoever. It works best with Rune of Protection.

Code:
#######
##@;####
####;###
#####;####
######W#####
I now refuse to use this, since it makes play too easy. (It's almost cheating.)

As for breath attacks, they do go down in damage as the monster loses HP. Breath attacks are proportional in damage to monster HP, with a maximum limit depending on damage type. There are various spoilers describing this.
Old September 4, 2008, 00:42   #20
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
One question I have about the hockey stick technique (I don't use it at all), can the monsters use it if the roles are reversed? i.e. will they consider me "in LoS" for spells?
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote