Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 15, 2018, 17:04   #61
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
posted it here: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?p=129868

but i want to be sure this doesn't go unnoticed .. i found a *slightly* overpowered ego sling.
Something tells me this isn't supposed to happen.
That +6 is +.6 shots/round. It makes you 60% more effective, not 700%.

The phrasing of the +shots description needs to be updated, because it's very misleading right now.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 17:26   #62
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
That +6 is +.6 shots/round. It makes you 60% more effective, not 700%.

The phrasing of the +shots description needs to be updated, because it's very misleading right now.
oooohhhhh ......

ok, that makes *way* more sense.

(note: the weaponsmith doesn't think this is accurate. i sold the sling, he paid me 1 gold. and the sling is now on sale for 10 million, 330k gold. some buffer overrun uh?)
Old May 15, 2018, 22:19   #63
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
(note: the weaponsmith doesn't think this is accurate. i sold the sling, he paid me 1 gold. and the sling is now on sale for 10 million, 330k gold. some buffer overrun uh?)
Yes, I should fix that.
Old May 15, 2018, 22:38   #64
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
hmm. .. i tried using this in serious play, and it's .. kinda like Wonder, yeah you could get some amazing results, but in practical terms it's best not to cast it.

The idea is that you line up a bunch of minor mobs, feed your thirst, and when you are pumped, you go kill that big Unique. However, the Confusion status (there's others, like getting random wound statuses just happen) means you can lose a big number of turns. And it's not preventable by pConf.
Yeah, maybe the side-effects need tuning a bit.
Old May 15, 2018, 23:13   #65
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Randomly losing control of your character because you decided to use a class-defining ability doesn't really sound like fun to me. How about a scaling AC debuff that increases as your other abilities do? So the bigger your bloodlust, the better your offense and the worse your defense?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 23:18   #66
Drokk
Rookie

Drokk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Randomly losing control of your character because you decided to use a class-defining ability doesn't really sound like fun to me. How about a scaling AC debuff that increases as your other abilities do? So the bigger your bloodlust, the better your offense and the worse your defense?
Agreed, I feel like this or a 'reckless attacks' debuff (large damage bonus, but due to the wild nature of the bloodlust not exactly accurate).
Drokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 00:28   #67
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
A fun addition would be to make up to x (where x is somehow dependent on the bloodlust counter) of your attacks while in bloodlust mode affect every tile around you as well. I imagine even then, being surrounded would be bad, but this could tempt players to go for it to boost the bloodlust counter.

As a negative consequence, some of your attacks could be redirected to another target nearby - you still have less control, but you do a lot more damage. Confusion as a status is crippling because it prevents you from doing pretty much everything (except healing, but including teleporting), but if you only applied the parts of its effects that are annoying but non-lethal, it could still be used a bit.

Another bloodlust-themed ability that could be interesting is, if you want the class to be a sort of shadow warrior with burst damage and then run away, rather than stand-your-ground berserker (which feels almost necessary given how easily some monsters can force a player to disengage anyway), you could have an ability that transforms your bloodlust counter into healing, maybe even combined with a moderate distance teleport. Alternatively, ordinary bloodlust decay could heal the player - giving some moderate healing throughout a fight, and then healing you up a bit after a fight ends.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 01:00   #68
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
As a negative consequence, some of your attacks could be redirected to another target nearby - you still have less control, but you do a lot more damage.
This is already implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Another bloodlust-themed ability that could be interesting is, if you want the class to be a sort of shadow warrior with burst damage and then run away, rather than stand-your-ground berserker (which feels almost necessary given how easily some monsters can force a player to disengage anyway), you could have an ability that transforms your bloodlust counter into healing, maybe even combined with a moderate distance teleport. Alternatively, ordinary bloodlust decay could heal the player - giving some moderate healing throughout a fight, and then healing you up a bit after a fight ends.
In fact, it's currently kind of the opposite - bad side-effects occur when the counter gets close to zero.

The intended ethos of the mechanic is that it gives massive benefits (including one which no-one seems to have noticed yet...) at the cost of annoying and potentially dangerous side-effects. The player should be tempted to use it, and to keep the effect going longer than is strictly wise. I suspect that currently the side-effects are happening a bit too often, and the confusion is overdone. On the other hand, I'm not intending that this should be an obvious spell to cast - there should always be the question of whether it is worth the risk in a given situation.
Old May 16, 2018, 08:35   #69
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
haven't notice it because i've most just tried the spell against orcs.

let me slip in here two quick questions:

1. if' im trying to spawn a specific Unique, does my depth influence my chances? So, if i want to kill Castamir (Depth 38) should i ideally be on DL38?

2. if i'm trying to spawn a specific artifact .. same as above.

So, is deeper always better?

(i'm at 80/137 artifacts)

Last edited by Sky; May 16, 2018 at 09:03.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 09:35   #70
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Castam8r will always have at least a dl 38 drop. If you do kill him deeper than dl 38, his drop will slowly improve, at 1/2 the difference between 38 and your actual dl, so at dl 50, his drop will be dl 44. This is not to say you should always delay killing uniques: a DL 38 drop at dl 38 is likely worth more to the player than a dl 44 drop at dl 50. (The one place wihere this doesn't hold is Wormtongue, as drop value is rapidly increasing at dl 10, but level difficult remains low.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote