Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 31, 2015, 13:37   #1
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Shovel of Earthquakes

Is there any reason I shouldn't leave this item on the dungeon floor? I don't see the use of destroying things around me while I'm digging for things. Plus, my Morningstar Bloodspike gets through granite in 40 rounds.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015, 14:21   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Amusingly, the "causes earthquakes" property relies on the item doing 50 damage in an individual blow by dice alone. This means the only thing that ever causes earthquakes is Grond (9d9).

So your shovel is acid branded and nothing else.
Old August 31, 2015, 14:40   #3
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Amusingly, the "causes earthquakes" property relies on the item doing 50 damage in an individual blow by dice alone. This means the only thing that ever causes earthquakes is Grond (9d9).

So your shovel is acid branded and nothing else.
If you check the code (py_attack_real around line 360), that's not true. The code takes damage dice, brand and todam into account (melee_damage), and then even the crits (critical_norm).

Easily checked by generating a Mattock of Earthquakes (1d8) (+12,+13) and watching it quake every hit above 50.
Old August 31, 2015, 14:56   #4
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. I left it in the dungeon; I suppose tunneling quickly anywhere in the map might have its advantages, but I've never had the patience for it and rarely use shovels. Spoiler alert, tho. I'm at 1300' and haven't seen most of the the 4950' and 5000' artifacts.

In other news, I accidentally deep descended without a scroll of recall. I don't really want to climb 1650' feet to the surface; I'm thinking there are a fair number of scrolls of recall at 1650'? I have 12 rations of food, but that's not really very much for a half-troll who has a high metabolism.

edit: I picked up 4 scrolls of satisfy hunger. I don't really want to dive deeper because I have no solutions to fear. I thought playing as a warrior granted me immunity to fear.

Last edited by Grotug; August 31, 2015 at 15:47.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015, 15:22   #5
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
If you check the code (py_attack_real around line 360), that's not true. The code takes damage dice, brand and todam into account (melee_damage), and then even the crits (critical_norm).

Easily checked by generating a Mattock of Earthquakes (1d8) (+12,+13) and watching it quake every hit above 50.
That's a fixed bug then. It used to be dice alone, and people wondered why it doesn't make earthquakes.

I don't like melee-earthquake myself either. I vote for removing that from the thing, it is useless as it is (more con than pro in this case).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015, 15:40   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Wow - I wonder how long I've been assuming that wrongly...
Old August 31, 2015, 16:46   #7
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
That's a fixed bug then. It used to be dice alone, and people wondered why it doesn't make earthquakes.

I don't like melee-earthquake myself either. I vote for removing that from the thing, it is useless as it is (more con than pro in this case).
Well I checked the 4.0.1 code, can't say about pre-4.0. Anyway a shovel of earthquakes should be pretty safe, since the 50 dam threshold should not be attained without a crit, and it's lightweighted. The mattock was crit-ing a lot due to its weight (and acid brand).
Old August 31, 2015, 17:11   #8
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Thanks guys. I left it in the dungeon; I suppose tunneling quickly anywhere in the map might have its advantages, but I've never had the patience for it and rarely use shovels. Spoiler alert, tho. I'm at 1300' and haven't seen most of the the 4950' and 5000' artifacts.

In other news, I accidentally deep descended without a scroll of recall. I don't really want to climb 1650' feet to the surface; I'm thinking there are a fair number of scrolls of recall at 1650'? I have 12 rations of food, but that's not really very much for a half-troll who has a high metabolism.

edit: I picked up 4 scrolls of satisfy hunger. I don't really want to dive deeper because I have no solutions to fear. I thought playing as a warrior granted me immunity to fear.
You get immunity to fear at level 30. And yeah, in your situation I'd just hang around at whatever depth seems interesting until I found a Word of Recall scroll. They aren't that uncommon. In the meantime, you get a taste of what ironman play is like.

Also note that diggers of Earthquakes only cause earthquakes when fighting, not when digging.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015, 17:21   #9
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Well I checked the 4.0.1 code, can't say about pre-4.0. Anyway a shovel of earthquakes should be pretty safe, since the 50 dam threshold should not be attained without a crit, and it's lightweighted. The mattock was crit-ing a lot due to its weight (and acid brand).
1d8*3 + 15 from weapon + 20 from STR + 10 from RoDam = 58.5

You can get to point where every single blow causes earthquake. Even with shovel. 1d2 * 3 ... = 49.5. Don't need much to boost that over 50.
Old August 31, 2015, 17:27   #10
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Get slow digestion -item. I think that counters regen and then some.

Also food should be plentiful that deep. Elven waybread is what I end up using with my warriors in late game, and I tend to find more than I use so that I don't need to buy any (BTW, those cure poison, so if you are in desperate need of cure poison that works).