AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old August 14, 2018, 12:04   #11
Quirk
Adept

Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
A minor suggestion, most late game fear critters will go straight through song of staying. It would be nice if it gave actual rfear.
It would presumably also be nice to have it resist confusion, hallucination, etc.

I think a larger Will bonus would be in order, and it might be nice to sort out the slightly ugly text on Song of Slaying while buffing it a bit. I'm contemplating giving it a substantial Will bonus of +Song (this will also bolster Majesty, but Majesty is niche enough right now I'm not super concerned), and making the protection not dependent on Song - something like 2d2 would probably work. Thoughts?
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2018, 12:21   #12
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
More will is probably good. I'd just be careful with hardiness & crit resist. Full song=+will is about 2 more levels of crit resist. It needs a powerup, you would just need to check the heavy armour guys don't become unkillable. Hardiness is a small bonus but it's all damage. It's rare to see the extreme protection end but if you use =protection, hardiness & armour use it'll take some heavy breathe damage. So yeah buff, just careful how much. Currently if it isn't a drake or balrog I'm preferencing trees when I take both.
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2018, 13:22   #13
Quirk
Adept

Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
More will is probably good. I'd just be careful with hardiness & crit resist. Full song=+will is about 2 more levels of crit resist. It needs a powerup, you would just need to check the heavy armour guys don't become unkillable. Hardiness is a small bonus but it's all damage. It's rare to see the extreme protection end but if you use =protection, hardiness & armour use it'll take some heavy breathe damage. So yeah buff, just careful how much. Currently if it isn't a drake or balrog I'm preferencing trees when I take both.
Crit resistance won't affect the breath damage, but with Hardiness and 2d2 base protection, 12 Song or so could squeeze out [2-6] protection added by Staying vs the [1-4] players would have now. This is quite a decent upgrade but I think will still keep the big breathers as pretty dangerous.

A high-evasion character with appropriate resists can be quite hard to kill also, so I'm not too worried about characters being very hard to kill; I do want to ensure that Staying doesn't become more effective for this purpose than Song of Overwhelming further up. Overwhelming has a significantly greater neutralising effect in melee, but requires more work and doesn't count for much against breath weapons.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2018, 03:10   #14
Freeya
Rookie

Freeya is on a distinguished road
Going to give this a whirl on my new tablet. Read the manual a couple times, I definitely think this version will require much more thought on skills to take.

Certainly can't 3 shot Morgoth haha. Should be interesting though. I'm going to try my Sil 1.1.1 build anyway (subtlety plus rapid attack), I'm unsure which if any songs I'll use. I actually found song of slaying incredibly useful outside the throne room but it was ridiculous in there, so agree it had to go.
Freeya is offline   Reply With Quote