Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 27, 2009, 07:18   #1
voirin
Rookie

voirin is on a distinguished road
need to get rid of artifacts... how to proceed?

Hi, I'm deciding which artifacts to get rid of as i have so far saved all of them and am currently level 37 @ 2500'. With the knowledge that I can never get these items back once sold, I want to be careful with what to get rid of. I presently only use melee attacks, but as a High-Elf Ranger I will most likely resort to using my bow later on. I was wondering if anyone would have any insight as to how to proceed, as this is the first time I've been down this far, and recently came close to dying from a AMHD (but got him to his knees in the end)

My char:
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9279

Any insight most appreciated.

Cheers,
V
voirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2009, 07:33   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
For determining what to sell, ask
a) is it endgame quality?
b) is it something that might be useful as a stand in in the end game (big CON bonus, or lots of useful side-bonuses)
c) Is it useful as a swap?
d) Do I have something similar that is just better.

Also: your ring slots are wasted! Aule already has great brands and slays.

Sell:
Paur*, with the possible exception of Pauraegen for RElec
Gorlim
Thengel (Holhenneth is better in every respect.)
Thoringil. Not endgame quality.
Dwarven Chain mail. Not endgame quality, and Caspannion is better in every respect.
Hithlomir. Not endgame quality, and Rohirrim is better.
All your stored weapons with the possible exceptions of Orome, and Balli. Aule is an end-game weapon. The others aren't, except the 3 listed have potentially useful side-effects.

Orome might be worth keeping because +4 speed can really come in handy.
Balli, because +3 CON, +3 STR ditto.
Normally, I'd keep Hurin, but you will get its activation and a spell, and between Aule and Balli, it's effectively redundant.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2009, 08:10   #3
voirin
Rookie

Hi Pete! Thanks for the comments - they are great! I will implement your suggestions.

I remember you left fantastic comments on a previous character of mine which I was developing: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=8706 . However he sadly died as I became overambitious and descended too rapidly.

I had to get away from angband for a while out of frustration

This time I'm taking my time and really enjoying it.

Thanks again!

p.s. I never have good luck with finding a decent ring to make use of. Hopefully 2500'+ will give me greater fortune.

Last edited by voirin; August 27, 2009 at 08:17.
Old August 27, 2009, 16:48   #4
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by voirin View Post
Hi Pete! Thanks for the comments - they are great! I will implement your suggestions.

I remember you left fantastic comments on a previous character of mine which I was developing: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=8706 . However he sadly died as I became overambitious and descended too rapidly.

I had to get away from angband for a while out of frustration

This time I'm taking my time and really enjoying it.

Thanks again!

p.s. I never have good luck with finding a decent ring to make use of. Hopefully 2500'+ will give me greater fortune.
It looks like a ring of Con would help you right now. They are sometimes available from the black market if you haven't found them in the dungeon. You have a lot of gold that's going to be pretty useless. You can buy out slots in the market that are cheap and you'll get more stock coming in the next time you get back.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2009, 05:45   #5
voirin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
You can buy out slots in the market that are cheap and you'll get more stock coming in the next time you get back.
Clever idea... I'll try it out! thanks!
Old August 28, 2009, 06:02   #6
Pete Mack
Prophet

I just noticed that you are a cl 39 Ranger with all dungeon books _except_ Tenser's. Bummer! Once you find Tenser's, you can do far more damage with arrows than with melee. At that point, if not before, it's time to use Erebor, at least until you get better CON. In any case, Tenser's is native to dl 70. It's significantly more common at dl 60-63 than at dl 54, and a lot more common at dl 70. And speed rings kick in around dl 75.

I'd say: put on Erebor, and start diving. (With Mordy's, diving is extremely safe. If you can't get to the stairs, you can always create some. Stairs and doors also are useful for a guaranteed escape when TO fails.)
Old August 28, 2009, 06:27   #7
voirin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
It looks like a ring of Con would help you right now. They are sometimes available from the black market if you haven't found them in the dungeon.
Just found ring of CON(+5) at 2750' !!!

Swapped it with ring of STR(+3)

Max HP jumped from 567 to 762 - Fantastic!!!

CON(Best) now at 18/200
Old August 28, 2009, 07:53   #8
voirin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Once you find Tenser's, you can do far more damage with arrows than with melee.
Yep been looking out for Tenser's at the black market but no luck so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
I'd say: put on Erebor, and start diving. (With Mordy's, diving is extremely safe. If you can't get to the stairs, you can always create some. Stairs and doors also are useful for a guaranteed escape when TO fails.)
Sounds like a good idea! +5 STR and CON from Erebor will definitely help in the descent. Haven't used Mordy's at this point. Will go to dl 60+
Old August 28, 2009, 10:27   #9
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
With Bard you can do insane amounts of damage to dragons.
Get some good arrows and hunt down great wyrms. (Be careful though that you have the appropriate resistance, they have painful breath attacks and some can summon other dragons.)
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2009, 11:22   #10
Pete Mack
Prophet

Erebor won't help you now--CON 18/200 already gives you max HP. But don't throw it away--you won't want to wear the RoCON forever.

And Mondkalb is right -- Bard vs dragons does just preposterous damage, even without Tenser's. Go kill some Wyrms.