Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 5, 2012, 16:51   #1
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Those first few rings are crap

Dunno if this has been fixed in recent versions, because I haven't played V much lately, but something that always bugged me about Angband and its variants is that the first few rings you find are ALWAYS junk - aggravation, stupidity, weakness, whatever! I think this is due to the min/max levels set for the various types of rings in the edit files somewhere, and the bad rings must be shallower than all the rest! Any hope of getting this changed so it's not so obvious to people who have played the game before / screwing over newbies?
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 17:09   #2
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekolis View Post
Dunno if this has been fixed in recent versions, because I haven't played V much lately, but something that always bugged me about Angband and its variants is that the first few rings you find are ALWAYS junk - aggravation, stupidity, weakness, whatever! I think this is due to the min/max levels set for the various types of rings in the edit files somewhere, and the bad rings must be shallower than all the rest! Any hope of getting this changed so it's not so obvious to people who have played the game before / screwing over newbies?
At this point there are not a lot of shallow cursed rings. Some of the rings are kind of bad (i.e. =Dog, =Mouse) but you can figure that out and remove them.
Old May 5, 2012, 17:39   #3
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You would be surprisef at how useful rings of the dog, slow digestion are for begining low level characters, rings of the dog give you fear resistance, and slow digestion can help when your food.got eaten or you run out. Rings of adornment, aggravation i think are leftovers from the old school playstyle of not being able to identify everything and hoping that ring you put on was good. With the increase in information in newer versions their is no longer any surprises, we learn all the items quickly, and abundant id makes it easy to leatn the item before it gets tried on. Random attributes to items is the direction v4 is going i think. But this could potentialy make game easier.
Old May 5, 2012, 17:45   #4
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
OK, good - the dog/mouse rings I'd forgotten about, since I haven't played V much recently!
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 18:39   #5
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Most of the low level rings are useful these days. Mouse is probably the most useless one, I guess it could be useful with a kobold rogue that can get legendary stealth at dlevel 10, but that's about it. Oh no wait feather falling is the most useless. Dog is useful for any non-stealthy class that wakes anything up anyway. slow digestion is pretty crappy. Teleportation is situationally useful. And =protection is actually a pretty good ring for the early game that can be gotten from town. Open Wounds is very useful. =Delving shows up too late, and I've never used =light. That's about it for low level rings.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 00:07   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Just play FAangband...
Old May 6, 2012, 05:32   #7
Raxmei
Apprentice

Raxmei is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Stupidity, weakness, etc, cursed stat rings, and rings of aggravation no longer exist. Cursed items in the classic sense are barely in the game at all anymore. Their previous existence comes as quite a shock when I try to play variants not based on a recent version of V. In V you now can sensibly identify items by wielding them and seeing what happens. In the first few levels you're likely to get something disappointing like feather fall, slow digestion, or mouse, but it won't cripple your character and there's a reasonable chance even early on of getting something useful.
Raxmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 16:38   #8
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxmei View Post
Stupidity, weakness, etc, cursed stat rings, and rings of aggravation no longer exist. Cursed items in the classic sense are barely in the game at all anymore... In the first few levels you're likely to get something,.... but it won't cripple your character....
Old May 6, 2012, 17:11   #9
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the early rings used to serve as a reminder that not everything is good and that wielding un-id'd things is bad. Neither is true in new angband. There are things that are useless, but almost everything is at least situationally usefull.
I remember that in oangband you could find non-cursed rings of aggravation. That was always fun. "Hey, why does everything I meet seem to be awake? Dammit, I'm dead. Ring of aggravation?"
Without bad items, junk has been cut down on, but been replaced by great items and lots of them. Without bad items, angband is less than it was before.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 17:47   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The problem with the old rings was that you only got fooled by one bad ring once; after that, you learned to ID every ring before wearing them. Personally I'd be fine with having rings that aren't overtly bad but are probably not helpful to you (Ring of the Dog is approximately rFear + Aggravate), but we want to avoid game design that results in boring behavior, and IDing everything by scrolls/spells/etc. in the early game is boring behavior. ID-by-use is much more interesting, but it can't be valid unless it's more practical than "normal" ID.

I think in my ideal game, there would be no ID spell in any form; everything would have to be ID'd by use. However the things you'd ID would be the individual traits of items, so you'd learn to recognize Aggravate after figuring out that one item that has Aggravate on it. Of course that's no help for figuring out potions, scrolls, etc.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote