Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old January 20, 2019, 01:25   #11
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Actually, I've only now discovered !CSW no longer cures poison. Good. Also, poison is more deadly. That may make the curing items non-junk (if I wasn't a ranger with cure poison spell).

Regarding unidentified weapons that are useless if their slays haven't found a use --- if I'm unspoiled, I really have no clue what I may be missing out, e.g., perhaps a weapon has Free Action and the only way to test is too risky to attempt. Or maybe it has Resist Disenchatment or Confusion or Blindness and so is worth keeping by any non-melee character.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2019, 02:02   #12
Bandobras
Knight

I have another case of the FOV artifact. I've attached a savefile.
Attached Files
File Type: zip save.FOV.zip (12.1 KB, 9 views)
Old January 21, 2019, 23:38   #13
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras View Post
Regarding unidentified weapons that are useless if their slays haven't found a use --- if I'm unspoiled, I really have no clue what I may be missing out, e.g., perhaps a weapon has Free Action and the only way to test is too risky to attempt. Or maybe it has Resist Disenchatment or Confusion or Blindness and so is worth keeping by any non-melee character.
Fair enough. Regarding Free Action this isn't something you exactly test for. So many monsters have the slow spell, maybe it's different with your playstyle but I couldn't imagine not getting regularly hit with that one. At worst you can un-squelch !slow. For confusion illusionists cast it, some of the dark elfs cast it.

Not sure if I'm telling you something you already know but when you look at the resists on the character sheet, see all those question marks? When they've been tested they'll disappear so you can see what effects have already been checked.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2019, 08:21   #14
Bandobras
Knight

Yes, I forgot Free Action also prevents slowing. I play very slowly while re-learning the game, so I don't get hit often with that one, especially so that I could swap the weapon in to test it. The !Slowness is a good hint. I need to start activating such items when I wear unidentified amulets, rings, etc., which is often the case. Perhaps I should also start triggering traps --- I need to re-learn the key to do that.

I guess I'm not used to testing things in Angband and expect it to happen naturally. It can definitely be fun and I'm slowly getting used to speeding up the process, but the unindentified weapons are a snag. Expensive identification items or services in shops would be a help in the transition period, though. I'm one of, I think many, optimizing Angband players (the 'mastery' aspect), so I'd slowly start figuring out ways to avoid buying the expensive ID.

Thank you also for the tip about question marks. I didn't figure that one out.
Old January 24, 2019, 11:38   #15
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras View Post
I have another case of the FOV artifact. I've attached a savefile.
Thanks, very helpful. I believe this is happening circular rooms have double-thickness lit walls. I'm going to reduce the walls to single-thickness, and I think that fixes the problem.