Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old July 20, 2018, 14:37   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
To be clear, I don't object to a layaway option, and I don't in the slightest think less of you for having proposed it! I just don't think I'd use it myself, and I've a feeling the people currently making contributions to the codebase have other things on their mind than stores and shopping. But I would be surprised if a layaway option wouldn't be accepted if someone were to code it up and submit it as a pull request. It strikes me as an inoffensive and reasonably-balanced option.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018, 16:26   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The trouble with layaway is it guarantees delivery of some critical items that don' t cost too much:
Wand of TO
Potion of Constitution
Rod of detection

Variance (aka the RNG god) is the spice of life in Angband, and this reduces it in a very predictable manner.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018, 16:36   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
The trouble with layaway is it guarantees delivery of some critical items that don' t cost too much:
Wand of TO
Potion of Constitution
Rod of detection

Variance (aka the RNG god) is the spice of life in Angband, and this reduces it in a very predictable manner.
It only guarantees it if you see these items in the store in the relatively narrow band where you can't afford them but can afford the layaway fees. You're still dependent on the store to actually generate the item you want.

But yes, layaway would make the "shopping game" moderately more powerful, so to speak.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018, 18:34   #14
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Layaway hasn't broken those variants that have it. It would make shopping more interesting, which is the only thing aside from removing it that could possibly make it less bad.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018, 09:34   #15
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
It only guarantees it if you see these items in the store in the relatively narrow band where you can't afford them but can afford the layaway fees. You're still dependent on the store to actually generate the item you want.

But yes, layaway would make the "shopping game" moderately more powerful, so to speak.
I'm for the idea. It's a little piece of engagement that is more likely to reduce grinding than unbalance the game, especially for the less experienced player. The power divers won't bother, and conversely it won't affect them in any way.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote