Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > ToME

Old December 11, 2008, 19:27   #1
IckyThingBane
Rookie

IckyThingBane is on a distinguished road
Au revoir

Goodbye, and hello, as Corwin would say. I'm going to make my first post here my last, at least for the foreseeable future.

For many months I've been maintaining a secondary XP installation, just so I can play ToME. I'm about to wipe that, so I'll be unable to play ToME until it becomes stable in Vista. 2.3.5 doesn't seem to have done the trick for me and none of the recommended fixes work.

I can't really find any enjoyment in ToME any more anyway; what was a wild love affair now feels like something more akin to necrophilia. I don't blame the maintainer, as I know DarkGod now has something much more meaningful to devote his time to, but it means I'm going to move on to Fallout 3, Diablo 3 and beyond and put ASCII behind me.

I'll probably check back in a year or so to see if T3 ever got anywhere, or before if anyone actually wants anything playtested (remaining on the mailing list, but not holding my breath). Thanks to the community for all the fun discussions and answering all my questions - it was at least as much fun as playing the game!

Andrew signing out.
IckyThingBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2008, 19:59   #2
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
You'll be coming back. :P ASCII is the future.

Anyway, I was curious about

Quote:
Originally Posted by IckyThingBane View Post
DarkGod now has something much more meaningful to devote his time to
What on earth can be more meaningful to a variant maintainer than hacking on his variant stuff? Especially such crazy geeky stuff as T-Engine3? The answer is in the third post at

http://forum.t-o-m-e.net/viewtopic.p...r=asc&start=45

Best wishes, darkgod.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2008, 20:04   #3
Nerdanel
Rookie

Nerdanel is on a distinguished road
Why not upgrade to Linux? ...Oh right, a game console...
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2008, 20:32   #4
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IckyThingBane View Post
For many months I've been maintaining a secondary XP installation, just so I can play ToME. I'm about to wipe that, so I'll be unable to play ToME until it becomes stable in Vista. 2.3.5 doesn't seem to have done the trick for me and none of the recommended fixes work.
Well since you've signed out maybe this advice is too late, but... occasionally I play a game of ToME on my laptop w/ Vista - only tiles work, though: no ascii. But then, it's the only *band I can get to work at all on Vista (though i haven't tried all of them yet) so...yeah.

The new tiles are nice for a while, but they have a tendency to give earth-rending apocalyptic migraines if looked at for too long. At least they do w/ me :-/
Donald Jonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2008, 05:56   #5
madmonk
Rookie

madmonk is on a distinguished road
Farewell, Icky

You have been an inspiration and willbe missed...
madmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2009, 07:33   #6
KiTA
Rookie

KiTA is on a distinguished road
I hate to interject into an old post like this, but I found a way to easily get TOME 2x working in Vista with ASCII.

Basically Vista does not support high ascii characters (characters over ascii code 127) in TOME. Instead, it shows blanks. This includes a lot of the fancy "graphics" TOME and other Roguelikes use. There's probably a fix (somehow changing the codepage, for example) but I've found it's easier to just change to X11's ASCII file instead.

To do this, you just go into the lib/pref folder and rename the font-win file to font-win old, and copy the font-x11 over to font-win.

You'll get something like this:

Perfectly playable, even in "modern" OSes.

So... With the fourms hacked, what happened to DarkGod? He get married or something?
KiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2009, 12:24   #7
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTA View Post
So... With the fourms hacked, what happened to DarkGod? He get married or something?
Actually yes, he got married. Last June methinks. To some lovely girl he met on WoW.