Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 23, 2019, 20:01   #11
Voovus
Apprentice

Voovus is on a distinguished road
I agree that it has sometimes become a bit frustrating to search for an exit compared to the olden days.

As a random suggestion, perhaps, instead of generating exits on empty squares that have three adjacent walls, the stairs could be generated on top of walls that are next to corridors, that is convert
##.#
to
#>.#
I haven't thought this through properly, but I think this would remove the need for generating (and exploring) random dead-end corridors without introducing the instakill by hounds situation mentioned by luneya.
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019, 21:19   #12
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Isn't being dropped in the middle of a pack of hounds only a problem if you're playing ironman or without connected stairs?
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019, 22:42   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
Isn't being dropped in the middle of a pack of hounds only a problem if you're playing ironman or without connected stairs?
Disconnected stairs is significantly more fun for me as it removes the temptation of stairscumming and means I don't have a safe area to retreat to at the start of levels. But there's a difference between "not feeling safe" and "not having any options". I've died before because I spent my first turn on casting Detection instead of Teleport, thereby revealing the monster in the darkness that then spent their turn killing me. It's not a lot of fun.

It sounds to me like the main issue currently is that stairs tend to cluster. It shouldn't be too hard to write a de-clustering algorithm something like this:
Code:
stairs = []
for (int i = 0; i < num_stairs; i++) {
  for (int j = 0; j < num_tries; j++) {
    p = generate random position;
    foreach stair in stairs {
      if (distance(p, stair) < threshold) {
        p is not valid;
      }
    }
    if (p is valid or j == num_tries - 1) {
      stairs.append(p);
    }
  }
}
I assume there's already code that defines a "valid" stair placement (e.g. not being inside of a wall, and the previously-mentioned number of adjacent walls). If we just tell it that stairs also aren't valid if they're too close to other stairs, then the stairs ought to be more spread out, no?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019, 11:36   #14
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
It's also a problem if the room is not lit and you can't see the hounds.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2019, 16:18   #15
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
i like the change per-se, what i do not like is that sometimes stairs bunch up all in the same space.
i dont know how this works, but im guessing roughly that each level has X stairs randomly assigned.
Then some rooms are "a stairs room" where 4-8 stairs all group together, which leaves all the rest of the level without ANY stairs.
A normal level has 3-4 downstairs & 1-2 upstairs. Some of the room templates have a single stair but this is placed in addition to the normal level stairs.

It looks for a square that is empty, in-bounds, not in a vault & surrounded by 7 walls. It checks the squares on the level in random order.

I'm going to have a guess that there was an accidental change when interesting/special rooms were added. If you have a level with 4 corridor ends & add a room with 20 perfect stair positions its 5x more likely to end up in the room then the corridor. Those "stair rooms" have a lot of potential spots (I think the secret door is counted as a wall in the check).
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2019, 17:36   #16
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
And coincidentally, about the same time Nick removed detect stairs and doors from rods and scrolls and all but rogues (maybe mages too) and removed create stairs from mages. So, without any detection and with stairs relegated to being almost always in corridors, finding them has ever since been a massive pain in the butt.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2019, 22:06   #17
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
And coincidentally, about the same time Nick removed detect stairs and doors from rods and scrolls and all but rogues (maybe mages too) and removed create stairs from mages. So, without any detection and with stairs relegated to being almost always in corridors, finding them has ever since been a massive pain in the butt.
Yeah, I'm going to revisit that - especially since it's only the staircase the player arrives on that needs to be in a safe place, and not even that for disconnected stairs.
Old September 26, 2019, 15:16   #18
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
There are still _-mapping
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote