AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 30, 2013, 08:39   #11
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMeM View Post
It would be nice to see proper native W32 full screen ASCII or Dos ASCII coming back. I don't understand why it was scratched in first place
Scratching DOS is quite understandable, it's ancient and has very bad limitations for memory. It restricts coding way too much.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2013, 08:43   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
the current version IS native W32, and it works plenty well (now that fonts no longer leak resources.)
The issue at hand is DOS ASCII, or some other way to make the screen voice-friendly.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2013, 09:30   #13
eMeM
Apprentice

eMeM is on a distinguished road
But we don't have a *full screen* ASCII version which is a favorite way to play for many old time players and major obstacle when trying recent versions of Angband. Some of these players are gone. I started to like terms windows but would go back to full screen console if only given a chance.

http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=2011.15

Most recent DOS versions used cwsdpmi so we were far from memory limits. Right now no one needs DOS graphics or DOS sounds only DOS ASCII. I just wanted to voice my support for this topic.
eMeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2013, 10:08   #14
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Quote:
But we don't have a *full screen* ASCII version which is a favorite way to play for many old time players and major obstacle when trying recent versions of Angband.
Takkaria said that it would be easy to do Windows console, so I think it will appear soon. Not DOS, just windows console.
Old July 30, 2013, 10:31   #15
hyperactive
Rookie

hyperactive is on a distinguished road
Yes I find the current 3.4.1 version slows things down a lot, it seems a bit resource intensive.
As to how I am able to play an ascii game, it's simple if you know how.
The automatic screen access program has a separate cursor which you can use to examine your surroundings. When I use the arrow keys to move around, the hardware cursor is also moved, and when I examine my surroundings with the extra cursor, I can hear the various letters and punctuation marks being spoken, so for example, if I am in the middle of town and there are several t's on either side of my character, I then use the second cursor to examine and see how many paces away they are so I can act accordingly.
Please if you can, I would be really grateful if someone could get the source code and compile a dos version using djgpp, there are no real limits when you use djgpp and cwsdpmi etc.
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2013, 10:35   #16
hyperactive
Rookie

hyperactive is on a distinguished road
Actually, I am interested in dos ascii but would love the ability to turn sound effects on too.
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2013, 11:01   #17
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
Please if you can, I would be really grateful if someone could get the source code and compile a dos version using djgpp, there are no real limits when you use djgpp and cwsdpmi etc.
In the past we had another blind user who used the Windows console mode for this, which is why that's what I offered to do again, but if it's not useful then I won't. The last DOS port release for Vanilla was 8 years ago and the code has changed a lot since then. I'm afraid my priority is to get the 3.5 release out in the next couple of months and that will be using up all my Angband coding time - but if anyone else is interested in resurrecting it and can get it working, then I'll include it.
Old July 30, 2013, 11:11   #18
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
In the past we had another blind user who used the Windows console mode for this, which is why that's what I offered to do again, but if it's not useful then I won't. The last DOS port release for Vanilla was 8 years ago and the code has changed a lot since then. I'm afraid my priority is to get the 3.5 release out in the next couple of months and that will be using up all my Angband coding time - but if anyone else is interested in resurrecting it and can get it working, then I'll include it.
I could try console for nostalgia reasons. I think only real extra term window I would miss is info on visible monsters (no off-screen surprises). I don't play with large main screen anyway, it feels like cheating to see that much dungeon at once.
Old July 30, 2013, 11:51   #19
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
What is the most recent version you have been playing with dos?
Old July 30, 2013, 13:08   #20
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It would be nice to see proper native W32 full screen ASCII or Dos ASCII coming back. I don't understand why it was scratched in first place (maybe because all developers are linux guys). I dig every thread about this and I was searching for it on other forums as well. I remember that I wasn't impressed with pdcurses version. It was like playing in emulator, very very slow.
The GCU version has a major bug. See this thread:
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=5481

I've tried using ncurses and it has the same bug. After a discussion with the ncurses maintainer, it appears that the bug isn't in ncurses (or pdcurses), but in the Win console api. Good luck fixing that...