AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old October 24, 2010, 01:39   #81
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimoni View Post
First, I think you're misreading the scope of unit testing. If it's not types, it's something else.
I'd rather not have to write tests for classes of errors that a compiler could trivially catch, aka. type errors.

Quote:
Second: Java and Haskell are not targets of my absence of strong static typing digression. Strong static typing is mandatory in Java, and optional in Haskell. [I haven't used Scala or O'Caml so no comment there.]
Eh, sorry? Optional static typing in Haskell? Are you serious?

I think you may be confusing type inference for weak typing. It's nothing of the sort.

(The forum removed my own part of the quote below. This board sucks at nested quoting )
Quote:
By that criterion, there are zero good programming languages in existence.
Note that I said "generally", not "always". In O'Caml or Haskell the implication actually does generally hold. Once you get used to that it's very hard to go back.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2010, 06:49   #82
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
I'd rather not have to write tests for classes of errors that a compiler could trivially catch, aka. type errors.
I think we're in violent agreement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimoni
Second: Java and Haskell are not targets of my absence of strong static typing digression. Strong static typing is mandatory in Java, and optional in Haskell. [I haven't used Scala or O'Caml so no comment there.]
Eh, sorry? Optional static typing in Haskell? Are you serious?
Yes, when I'm programming in Haskell I do use this feature. Bolt in the type signature late in the debugging process, to turn off those parts of type inference that threaten to break the source.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote