Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2010, 03:13   #1
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington state USA
Posts: 460
Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
A damage question...

So I've been wielding the Pike Til-i-arc rather than Nimthanc since it is branded with fire and frost. What I'm curious about is does the damage stack if the monster isn't immune to either fire or cold? Also does the elemental damage stack with the slays? I ask since I don't see Til-i-arc doing that much more damage than Nim or Narthanc. But I could be wrong. I just want to know so that I don't waste time wielding something that isn't doing a lot of damage. On the otehr hand that +2 speed is pretty handy.

Here is the link to my character dump.

Thanks in advance.
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 03:18   #2
Sirridan
Knight
 
Sirridan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 560
Sirridan is on a distinguished road
Nope, it picks the biggest brand, or one that's a tie.

If it's not immune to fire or cold, it still gets hit with just one of the brands (x3 dice).

Til is better because of the stats and speed, and +2 speed increases your damage by 20%, plus it has two brands and several slays.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 03:25   #3
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington state USA
Posts: 460
Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
Nope, it picks the biggest brand, or one that's a tie.

If it's not immune to fire or cold, it still gets hit with just one of the brands (x3 dice).

Til is better because of the stats and speed, and +2 speed increases your damage by 20%, plus it has two brands and several slays.
How does speed increase your damage? I understand how being faster lets you get a free round every so often, but more damage?
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 03:41   #4
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,914
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendell Orcbane View Post
How does speed increase your damage? I understand how being faster lets you get a free round every so often, but more damage?
He means the same thing you do: an extra round every 5 turns corresponds to 20% more damage.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 05:34   #5
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington state USA
Posts: 460
Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
Okay that makes sense I guess, but only if you actually hit your enemy.
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 06:48   #6
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,470
Derakon is on a distinguished road
That's like saying "Weapons with extra attacks increase your damage, but only if you hit your enemy". More swings = more opportunities to deal damage = more average damage.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 06:48   #7
Sirridan
Knight
 
Sirridan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 560
Sirridan is on a distinguished road
Thanks Pete, I should have explained what I meant a bit better.

Anyway, the +2 speed not only increases damage, but that extra round every so often gives you a little more survivability, and if you happen to carry too much weight, you can carry a bit more before you fall to zero speed, and as always negative speed can and probably will lead to you getting killed.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 19:32   #8
zaimoni
Knight
 
zaimoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 590
zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
Thanks Pete, I should have explained what I meant a bit better.

Anyway, the +2 speed not only increases damage, but that extra round every so often gives you a little more survivability, and if you happen to carry too much weight, you can carry a bit more before you fall to zero speed, and as always negative speed can and probably will lead to you getting killed.
Well, it depends on your playstyle.

Through stat-gain, ranged tanks seem to be fine as long as nothing gets continual triple moves on them. Past that point, there's too many summoners and big breathers to allow triple moves. (At least through DL30 I've found -5/-6 speed very survivable with a Death Bow and some attention to line of sight to practically never end up in serious melee.)
__________________
Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 21:03   #9
Sirridan
Knight
 
Sirridan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 560
Sirridan is on a distinguished road
True enough, although if you stop paying attention, you'll get murdered at negative speeds much more quickly than with speed >= 0. That's my big problem, lapses in concentration.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2010, 10:19   #10
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,093
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimoni View Post
Well, it depends on your playstyle.

Through stat-gain, ranged tanks seem to be fine as long as nothing gets continual triple moves on them. Past that point, there's too many summoners and big breathers to allow triple moves. (At least through DL30 I've found -5/-6 speed very survivable with a Death Bow and some attention to line of sight to practically never end up in serious melee.)
-5/-6 is not very survivable in vanilla angband at stat-gain depths and deeper. At least not unless you play with patience of a borg.

There are no Death Bows in vanilla, so I'm guessing you are playing some variant.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
learning damage bonuses PowerDiver Vanilla 40 July 23, 2011 18:21
Rings of damage don't affect shooting? kurie Vanilla 3 March 1, 2010 07:05
Throwing !Life for damage fph Vanilla 5 December 9, 2009 20:39
Extra Damage Die AceRimmer Vanilla 4 October 1, 2008 18:41
[FA] Druid melee damage Seany C Variants 5 April 28, 2007 19:22


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.