Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 21, 2011, 05:47   #11
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
im not trying 2 stop progress, im trying 2 remind everyone they dnt need 2 ruin wat is good already ok~, no rage involved!

and nn4 making variant 4 350 atm , it would probably b vanilla 3.12v2

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2011, 05:53   #12
Napsterbater
Adept

Napsterbater is on a distinguished road
Personally, I think it'd be a real great exercise for someone who likes old versions better than the new ones to grab the source code and backport the UI improvements. Heck of a lot easier than building a variant and great practice for maybe one day contributing their own ideas/code.

I'd do it myself, but I honestly just see the game getting better and better!

Last edited by Napsterbater; September 21, 2011 at 06:00.
Napsterbater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2011, 07:05   #13
dos350
Knight

i see it getting better in some ways, but worse in others,

also i see people crying 2 make it worse, which i think is entirely inappropriate~

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
Old September 21, 2011, 11:12   #14
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos350 View Post
i see it getting better in some ways, but worse in others,

also i see people crying 2 make it worse, which i think is entirely inappropriate~
this is why we often have voting polls. But the decision to change something is up to the maintainer, and development team. My personal opinion is the game so far outshines anything I've ever seen before in V. It is all about balance, but fundamentaly the game remains the same as it has always been, I don't see where any changes have been for the worse. The game was based off of moria, and moria was desighned to be impossible to beat, I am sure the development team always keeps that in mind.
Old September 21, 2011, 11:53   #15
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
this is why we often have voting polls. But the decision to change something is up to the maintainer, and development team. My personal opinion is the game so far outshines anything I've ever seen before in V. It is all about balance, but fundamentaly the game remains the same as it has always been, I don't see where any changes have been for the worse. The game was based off of moria, and moria was desighned to be impossible to beat, I am sure the development team always keeps that in mind.
Thanks for the kind words - it's great that people are enjoying the newer versions. We have as a team accepted that the game has become easier over the past couple of years: 3.2.0 is certainly a lot easier to beat than 3.0.9 was. This was an accident, arising from the confluence of a number of different changes which were not individually intended to make things easier, but added up to that effect. Since 3.2.0 we've been working hard to find ways to make the game more challenging without either undoing previous improvements or breaking things with too-drastic changes or putting off new players or increasing tedium. This is quite difficult to do and takes time, which is why 3.3.0 is only a little tougher than 3.2.0 and not dramatically so. It will probably take several more versions until the balance is back to the old days of almost-impossible, but in the meantime every new version will be slightly more challenging, more playable, more interesting and with better UI.
Old September 21, 2011, 13:35   #16
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
.....and with better UI.
On that note, what I am currently working on for NPP is getting the FAAngband-style mouse support working with NPP (which is currently aligned with the Angband 3.1.2v2 base code). When I am done it will go up on github as a single commit,which would probably be a good start for a ui-enhancing patch for Vanilla if the V devteam is interested. Isn't there already a ticket for FAAngband mouse support for vanilla?
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2011, 13:46   #17
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nppangband View Post
On that note, what I am currently working on for NPP is getting the FAAngband-style mouse support working with NPP (which is currently aligned with the Angband 3.1.2v2 base code). When I am done it will go up on github as a single commit,which would probably be a good start for a ui-enhancing patch for Vanilla if the V devteam is interested. Isn't there already a ticket for FAAngband mouse support for vanilla?
Lots of them: #115, #183, #425, #618 ... it's been a goal for a long time, so I'm sure a patch which makes it easier to incorporate your/Nick's work would be much appreciated. ISTR Nick has updated to the 3.2.0 codebase - unfortunately there were some more input layer changes in 3.3, but nothing major since then.
Old September 21, 2011, 14:15   #18
dos350
Knight

glad 2 see another 3.12v2 fanatic in this thread,

the game is getting better in good ways ok, and it is great work, but nn2 think uve solved all the games problems and then change it afterward 2 suite that~ aka regain stat on lvl up.

personally , i rofl at this new mechanic, its ez 2 abuse and also more tedious than potion, even if they r not at store, why not just hav both?

other examples i could giv but dnt think needing, please try 2 understand the point of this thread and not hijack it 4 ur own glory

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
Old September 21, 2011, 14:48   #19
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Lots of them: #115, #183, #425, #618 ... it's been a goal for a long time, so I'm sure a patch which makes it easier to incorporate your/Nick's work would be much appreciated. ISTR Nick has updated to the 3.2.0 codebase - unfortunately there were some more input layer changes in 3.3, but nothing major since then.
Nick and I have traded a couple messages about it. He had to remove most of his mouse support to get FAAngband working with the 3.2.0 codebase, & he hasn't yet added it back in. I am converting the mouse support from the last FA version that had it working, so he might be taking a look at that NPP commit as well.

My commit probably won't resemble a working patch for Vanilla because the 3.1.2v2 codebase is so different than the current one, but it should be a relatively simple cut-and-paste job with minimal de-bugging as long as buttons.c hasn't changed much.
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2011, 15:16   #20
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nppangband View Post
My commit probably won't resemble a working patch for Vanilla because the 3.1.2v2 codebase is so different than the current one, but it should be a relatively simple cut-and-paste job with minimal de-bugging as long as buttons.c hasn't changed much.
Ah, well that's good news - button.c has had only three new lines since 2008, so things are looking good.