Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2015, 02:37   #401
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,400
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Is there some reason we can't get damage displayed in the message line for magical attacks?

Melee attacks and missile attacks both show damage in the message line when "show_damage" is engaged, but magical attacks (e.g., magic missile, orb of destruction, etc.) do not. I know it's not in 3.5.1, but I don't view it as a game change. It never made the bug list though.
There is a bit of a reason, because magic attacks can hit more than one monster, and it's also harder to distinguish whether it's the player that did it. For example if the player casts Stinking Cloud on a pack of hounds, and then they all breathe, there's magic effects being flung about everywhere, and picking out the player ones might not make a lot of sense - and also be difficult to code. I'll have a bit more of a look and a think.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 04:59   #402
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,939
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I think this is not a bug. The One permanently drains your experience, so that doesn't show in yellow, but your level does show as yellow because it has been higher. The fact that this seems incongruous to you is good, because the One is pretty special.
In 3.5.1, and earlier versions, experience drain from The One Ring could be recovered with Restore Life Levels the same as any other experience drains. Once restored, the level indicator and experience indicators were both green until The One did another drain. Has this been changed in 4.0?
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 05:39   #403
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,400
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
In 3.5.1, and earlier versions, experience drain from The One Ring could be recovered with Restore Life Levels the same as any other experience drains. Once restored, the level indicator and experience indicators were both green until The One did another drain. Has this been changed in 4.0?
OK, you're right - but there is another possibility. Did you ever activate the One? Because one of the effects is to permanently lose 1/4 of your current experience and one point off each of your stats.

On closer inspection, I think that is what happened - your STR, DEX and CON are all 18/90.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 06:25   #404
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,400
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Update 4be6192 fixes:
  • Bad quiver and home listings in character dumps
  • Use numbers for quiver labels
  • Have the item menu in the home include the drop option - it was meant to work for shops too, will have to go back and fix that
  • Maybe fix the bonus update problem
  • Make random effects do the correct damage (this was making things like Multi-hued DSM breaths really weak)
  • Stop OSX port crashing on resizing the main window to too small a value (thanks myshkin)
  • Make the OSX port remember window sizes (myshkin again)
  • Add boost percentage to descriptions of attack devices

My feeling is that there are no real showstoppers left. I need to do a trap knowledge screen, update documentation and have a look at bad tile redrawing, and will look at the few remaining bugs, but I'm hoping to release in about a week.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 08:04   #405
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,939
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
OK, you're right - but there is another possibility. Did you ever activate the One? Because one of the effects is to permanently lose 1/4 of your current experience and one point off each of your stats.

On closer inspection, I think that is what happened - your STR, DEX and CON are all 18/90.
Ah, that explains it. I did fire the One at Morgoth when we initially closed for battle. Damn, so that's what the feeling of malice surrounding @ body was. Well, at least Morgie still died.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 08:51   #406
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,939
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
There is a bit of a reason, because magic attacks can hit more than one monster, and it's also harder to distinguish whether it's the player that did it. For example if the player casts Stinking Cloud on a pack of hounds, and then they all breathe, there's magic effects being flung about everywhere, and picking out the player ones might not make a lot of sense - and also be difficult to code. I'll have a bit more of a look and a think.
Ah, I see your point. Maybe if it just showed magical damage on the target and only for that generated by the @? But I realize the coding for that might not be possible.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 13:12   #407
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 434
Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Definitely not a showstopper and thanks for all your work but it's kind of annoying that 'E'at is not one of the sub menu options when looking at mushrooms.

At least it wasn't the last time I looked at one.
__________________
My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 17:08   #408
Nomad
Knight
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: England
Posts: 958
Nomad is on a distinguished road
There seems to be a minor ID issue remaining with DSMs - I just found a blue DSM early on in the game that turned out to be magical, and it's still got the {magical} tag inscription and "You do not know the full extent of this item's powers" even after I've learned the AC bonus. (Average DSMs appear to ID themselves correctly after the pseudo kicks in; not sure about egos.) This is in f59f9e5.

Also in f59f9e5, the "doors becoming black squares when opened/closed while blind" bug seems to have crept back in. (Or possibly was only fixed for monsters changing the state of doors out of line of sight, and not for the player doing it while blind?)

Plus there are a few tiny message bugs still remaining that aren't on the bug list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
* No "You see no more [items]." message when using consumables from the floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Minor message issue I've just noticed with selling items to shops/dropping them into the home. If you sell one of a stack of consumables in your inventory, you get a message like:

Code:
You sold a Scroll of Detect Invisible (f) for 13 gold.
But if you sell a single item/the entire stack at once, you get:

Code:
You sold a Scroll of Detect Invisible () for 13 gold.
I assume the empty parentheses mean it's not checking for the inventory letter until after the item's already gone.
Overall, though, I agree that there are no showstoppers left - the only bug that's still causing any real impact on gameplay for me is the run past bug, and that's very intermittent. (I'm fairly sure it is to do with other events/messages occurring in the same turn that @ should have stopped running. It usually happens for me when the recharge message for rods pops up in the same turn as I reach the edge of the trap detection border, plus I've had the same happen when I suddenly noticed a mimic as I reached the border. And once or twice I've had ghosts get a free hit on me when they appeared out of a wall as I was running and I still moved another square after the first hit.)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 17:11   #409
Thraalbee
Knight
 
Thraalbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 581
Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Could it be it is of "craftsmanship" and that is still not evident? The dsm that is
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015, 17:42   #410
Nomad
Knight
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: England
Posts: 958
Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbeast View Post
Could it be it is of "craftsmanship" and that is still not evident? The dsm that is
Nope, it's definitely just magical - Craftmanship should pseudo-ID as excellent.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beleriand Status Whelk Variants 44 July 9, 2014 00:16
Angband - status of the Linux ports? nppangband Development 7 September 7, 2013 22:00
Status of variants? CJNyfalt Variants 17 June 15, 2011 18:17
The status of Sangband sygoomei Variants 5 February 16, 2009 17:17
3.1.0beta monster behavior and a few other things tigen Vanilla 3 January 17, 2009 07:30


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.