Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 29, 2014, 14:14   #61
Arjen
Adept

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Don't we have a pure summoner in the form of the Q's monsterclass?
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 15:01   #62
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
Don't we have a pure summoner in the form of the Q's monsterclass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Of course, there is one summoner build that breaks the rules: The Quylthulg (who starts with -10 speed). If you want pure summoning, then this is the only option.
A few posts back
Old May 29, 2014, 18:15   #63
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
ToME has summoning too. In that variant, there is no EXP penalty (unless I'm wrong) for letting pets kill monsters.
Not to hijack the thread, but "someone's wrong on the Internet": There is actually an EXP penalty from the outset, but it's countered by the Monster Lore skill. Indeed according to code comments you end up with 120% per pet kill if your Monster Lore is 50 (max).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
In some cases, I've had Loremasters move up from clvl 30-something to 50 in a few hours because of this. Again, that's summoning in ToME.
I'm surprised it would take that long . Summoning is another skill that's totally broken in ToME 2.x. If you go to Erebor and just summon a few chain-summoning ancient dragons you can clear whole levels in a few minutes. Also, if you're a symbiant[1] you get all your summons for free! Of course there are dangers such as getting caught in the breath of one of your own pets, but usually it's not much of a problem. Just get a mountain-climbing digger and hide out where absolutely no monsters can reach or see you. (There are lots of broken things about summoning in ToME, but chain-summoning is one of the worst. In fact, writing out this post, I'm kind of wondering why I even like it. Perhaps it's the Unbeliever class/Anti-magic skill...)

[1] Actually, scratch that, just be a Sorceror and get Symbiosis to 0.5 multiplier via Lost Sword quests and bump to 35. That'll get you the summoning power of a Greater Q and you can also have it take damage for you once in a while (35% of the time?).

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to go into full-on rant mode there.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 14:15   #64
Zireael
Adept

Zireael is on a distinguished road
Guys, how do I enable cheats in this variant? I just want to goof around to see how the Possessor and Beastman work, I don't care about the hall of fame...
Zireael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 14:42   #65
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zireael View Post
Guys, how do I enable cheats in this variant? I just want to goof around to see how the Possessor and Beastman work, I don't care about the hall of fame...
Hmm, not sure about the cheat code, but if you choose Munchkin personality when creating your guy/girl. You start with a huuge amount of gold, have really big stat boosts, automatically identify items and all the levels are mapped out for you. You level really fast as well.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014, 16:47   #66
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zireael View Post
You'll need to compile a debug build for this. On Windows, open the project and change the target from release to debug. Recompile. Warning: This will also turn on a bunch of debugging code as well so is not recommended.

But why not just fire up a Possessor and play one? There are plenty of dumps on the ladder to explain good strategies to use as well as what corpses to look for when.

Beastmen get a starting mutation which you can (unfortunately?) scum for. They also mutate like crazy in an unpredictable fashion, as they level up (I think each level up has a 1 in 5 chance of mutation). They are not particularly fun to play as you are prone to just getting screwed at any point in the game by a bad mutation (And some mutations are intolerable to play with). Removing a mutation is available in Zul for a price, but it removes them randomly so you usually end up removing all the good ones first. Plus, you'll need levitation to get there so you might get stuck early on with really bad mutations. Still, if you like a random unpredictable game, then they can be fun. And you can pair up with the Chaos Warrior class for the ultimate in unpredictability.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2014, 04:47   #67
debo
Veteran

Are we sure that the Fell Sorcery demigod power does anything? I grepped through the codebase trying to find its real effect with no luck. (I'm not sure if the number that it maps to is used directly somewhere else.)

If so, how does it work?
Old May 31, 2014, 13:24   #68
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Are we sure that the Fell Sorcery demigod power does anything? I grepped through the codebase trying to find its real effect with no luck. (I'm not sure if the number that it maps to is used directly somewhere else.)

If so, how does it work?
Yes it works. Take a look at fell_sorcery_mut in mut_a.c and it should be obvious.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2014, 14:31   #69
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Yes it works. Take a look at fell_sorcery_mut in mut_a.c and it should be obvious.
Whoops! Thank you
Old May 31, 2014, 17:47   #70
MarvinPA
Scout

MarvinPA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Whoops! Thank you
Heh, I managed to make exactly this mistake a while ago too: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthr...9188#post89188

Actually, looking at that post, I think possibly the wizardstaff bug is still around? I have a local commit fixing it but I can't see a fix in master.
MarvinPA is offline   Reply With Quote