Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 11, 2014, 05:42   #191
mewmew
Apprentice

mewmew is on a distinguished road
Oh, I have yet another question, how do people level up in the wilderness at the early levels exactly? I read that they can get multiple levels quickly there with different mages, mindcrafters, even with hounds but when I try (it seems they level up in swamps) I usually don't have any means neither to kill enemies quickly nor to kite them (phase scrolls are limited at that point, mana too) and then I cannot spam spells/breath that much either. I just tried to do it with a hound at CL12 right after thieves + warg quests, nearly died a couple of times, burned a bunch of teleport scrolls, went to Icky Caves to get CL15 for running, went to the swamps again, was clenched by two packs of water hounds (they bullied my lone air hound :3) and fled again with all my equipment severely corroded. I definitely do something wrong there.

On a side note, it's not fair that dragons use SP for their breath while hounds breath from HP.
mewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2014, 05:52   #192
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmew View Post
Oh, I have yet another question, how do people level up in the wilderness at the early levels exactly? I read that they can get multiple levels quickly there with different mages, mindcrafters, even with hounds but when I try (it seems they level up in swamps) I usually don't have any means neither to kill enemies quickly nor to kite them (phase scrolls are limited at that point, mana too) and then I cannot spam spells/breath that much either. I just tried to do it with a hound at CL12 right after thieves + warg quests, nearly died a couple of times, burned a bunch of teleport scrolls, went to Icky Caves to get CL15 for running, went to the swamps again, was clenched by two packs of water hounds (they bullied my lone air hound :3) and fled again with all my equipment severely corroded. I definitely do something wrong there.

On a side note, it's not fair that dragons use SP for their breath while hounds breath from HP.
Post your character on the ladder so that we can determine what's going on.

In my case, I tend to play melee-based characters who start by picking off the wandering Novices at the Outpost fringes...and a good number of them. Upon getting stronger and having sold stuff to get gold to buy Teleportation scrolls, I head north. I wonder in the wooded areas until I see Hounds. I try to lure one at a time and simply attempt to attack to kill. Avoid getting surrounded. Always bring scrolls of teleportation and healing consumables. If you playing breath-based race, you can just use your breath from the distance. Of course, if you find yourself running low in HP, retreat, teleport elsewhere

If the Stores don't have Teleportation scrolls. You have to explore dungons or make many turns pass first in order for the stores to re-stock.

If you want to fight Hounds, avoid Water hounds. Fight the other types...Energy/Cold/Fire/Earth/etc.. Although you risk getting inventory destroyed from these other types, you still get EXP gain from killing Hounds and your equipment won't be as corroded.

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; July 11, 2014 at 06:07.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2014, 06:07   #193
mewmew
Apprentice

Oh, that character died to Scylla soon after I fled from the hounds and tried to venture into the swamps again (I was a bit careless, the character was for testing anyway) and I didn't save the dump.

But it's not a question about the character, it's the question of the tactics, which spells/skills should I use and vs which monsters etc

Oh, and your way to level up in the wilderness doesn't sound especially fast, completing quests would probably be just as fast, and I probably cannot get to lvl20+ without getting into the swamps... I read in the ladder comments that people can level up very fast there with mages and I am trying to figure out how exactly.

Last edited by mewmew; July 11, 2014 at 06:19.
Old July 12, 2014, 01:57   #194
mewmew
Apprentice

I found a staff recently, simply staff, it did nothing and failed 3.5% at doing nothing, also it had 19 charges of doing nothing. Is it intended? Anyway even if not it's fun.

Also, HugoTheGreat2011, I checked again those ladder dumps which I mentioned and it turned out that the hound fast leveling dump which I tried to repeat was yours:
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16375
Please, tell me how you achieved it exactly, especially the part past lvl ~15 or so :3

Oh, and I have yet another stupid question (I hope I use this thread as intended ><, I don't really want to make a separate thread for all my questions, if not I will make or hijack one), where exactly I can reforge stuff?
Old July 12, 2014, 06:47   #195
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Chances are good it was e.g. a staff of cure light wounds when you were full health or of detect invisible when no invisible monsters were around, that sort of thing. There ARE empty staves that generate on staff-eating characters such as the spectre, but I don't think they ever drop outside of character generation.

Reforging can be done at the Fighter's Hall. There may be more than one, but there is at least one in the top right just inside the walls of Morivant.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014, 06:51   #196
mewmew
Apprentice

>Chances are good it was e.g. a staff of cure light wounds when you were full health or of detect invisible when no invisible monsters were around, that sort of thing.

no, no, it was a clear staff of nothing
check the screen shot
http://i.imgur.com/9qccK9a.gif

>Reforging can be done at the Fighter's Hall.
thanks
Old July 12, 2014, 19:57   #197
MarvinPA
Scout

MarvinPA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinPA View Post
Autoidentify seems to work even when you haven't actually identified your scrolls of identify yet (also, autoidentify is a really great thing).
It turns out that even Berserkers can use this to identify things, which is convenient but presumably unintended. :P
MarvinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014, 00:53   #198
ThunderToads
Scout

ThunderToads is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmew View Post
I found a staff recently, simply staff, it did nothing and failed 3.5% at doing nothing, also it had 19 charges of doing nothing. Is it intended? Anyway even if not it's fun.
Some races eat staff/wand charges instead of food, and they actually start with one of those staves.
ThunderToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014, 00:57   #199
mewmew
Apprentice

BTW, it's not said in the help that death swords eat staff charges.
Old July 13, 2014, 01:19   #200
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Don't trust the help files. They usually are liars. For example, they say that multiple copies of a resist don't stack.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote