Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 9, 2016, 14:01   #1
StMicah
Adept

StMicah is on a distinguished road
Ironman Rogue

I've been playing rogues on and off as I've learned to play ironman the last few months. However, I haven't been very lucky or successful (in part because I've been playing rogue hobbits) and have either been overpowered as I descended or have done something stupid that resulted in death (because of low HP).

Now, I am moderately confident about Daozhi, a high-elf rogue, who just finished dlvl 55. I have a base speed of 20 with a stack of —speed and some pretty decent auxiliary equipment. But need a bunch more !CON or some +CON equipment. I assume I'll find some as I descend lower.

Are there any nonobvious concerns I should know about? Obviously, I'm staying away from anything that can instadeath me and, for the most part, am killing only things I can take out in under 2 (or safely in 3) rounds. Unless, the baddy is someone annoying like Harowen.

Also, I don't have much experience with Tensers as a rouge. Are the buff spells helpful at this stage? what success rate will the elemental brand spell have if I max INT and make it to about clvl 45?
StMicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016, 17:04   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The buff spells are always important, though with low HP I might not use BERSERK, just HERO and SHIELD.
Branded ammo is critical too. With that, BERSERK is a sure bet.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016, 21:20   #3
StMicah
Adept

I won. A hard fought victory because I didn't find much in the way of damage output in a melee weapon. I had high hopes in finding a cool randarts weapon in the dlvl 90s but nothing really surfaced.

Perhaps now, it's time to figure out the paladin class.
Old February 12, 2016, 22:39   #4
Pete Mack
Prophet

Paladin early game is significantly harder because of bad DEX meaning lowered melee output, and bad stealth means everything is coming in at you at once. Late game, the risk is getting sloppy from being so over-powered. Once you get 5% fail on Heal spell, you can kill just about anything in melee.
Old February 13, 2016, 20:09   #5
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMicah View Post
I won. A hard fought victory because I didn't find much in the way of damage output in a melee weapon. I had high hopes in finding a cool randarts weapon in the dlvl 90s but nothing really surfaced.

Perhaps now, it's time to figure out the paladin class.
A MoD holy avenger is about as much as you can hope for meleewise; better randarts often dont exist, and if they do, they are based on something ultrarare like Bladeturner or Deathwreaker. For taking down the bosses, that Haradrim xbow is usually going to be the better bet as good ammo is fairly common.

Have fun with the paladin!
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016, 20:58   #6
Pete Mack
Prophet

MoD HA or +2 blows is better than most standard artifacts too. +2 blows means you can take down any of the unique undead in around 12 turns. 800+ damage/turn is ranger with ego ammo territory.
Old February 15, 2016, 09:20   #7
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Paladin early game is significantly harder because of bad DEX meaning lowered melee output, and bad stealth means everything is coming in at you at once.
I wouldn't say it is hard, just slowish. Paladin stealth is in par with warrior, and priest spells more than compensate lack of DEX. You need to play paladin as warrior with priest spells, not as priest with warrior fighting capabilities.

I find mages hardest (slowest) to start. They need to be extra careful because they are so fragile. You need to run away a lot, and if you happen to get surrounded or threatened by something fast you get killed pretty easily. Paladins are relatively tough so they can fight more, which means faster gain of XP.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016, 10:48   #8
StMicah
Adept

I see what folks mean about the slowness of the paladin...currently at dlvl 25, clvl with a dwarf paladin. He has a defender spear and a main gauche of venom and can be easily overpowered by some orc groups. I usually find dlvls 30 to 50 tough going and slow, so I hope this character starts finding his groove before then.

With my winning rogue, I definitely noticed how a holy avenger MoD and Haradrim change the game. I found both in the last few levels and that greatly changed my readiness to talk on Sauron and Morgoth.
Old February 15, 2016, 12:08   #9
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMicah View Post
I won. A hard fought victory because I didn't find much in the way of damage output in a melee weapon.
Next time, try a martial artist, you won't need to bother about the damage output of your weapon
Old February 15, 2016, 12:10   #10
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Paladin early game is significantly harder because of bad DEX meaning lowered melee output, and bad stealth means everything is coming in at you at once. Late game, the risk is getting sloppy from being so over-powered. Once you get 5% fail on Heal spell, you can kill just about anything in melee.
What I don't like about Paladin is that they're *terrible* at disarming stuff. In the old days where doors could be locked tight, it was faster to dig a wall square next to a door than trying to pick the door.