AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 17, 2011, 04:10   #61
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
No, it isn't. Have you noticed how many people have said "Man, no-selling sounds like a terrible idea", then tried it, and said "Wow, this is a lot better than I thought it would be!"? I don't think I've seen more than two people on this forum not like no-selling after having tried it.
Two? No Rage here and who else?
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2011, 04:23   #62
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
DOS350 hasn't tried it so he doesn't count for that statement. I don't recall exact nicks; I just seem to recall someone having made an informed decision that it wasn't for them, then I padded the number to be on the safe side.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2011, 04:24   #63
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko View Post
I'm curious how often you buy stuff from the BM, since my gut feeling is it would take you a very long time to afford expensive objects. I tend to be close (or over) my inventory weight limit, so I can barely pick up anything 'extra' without slowing down. In the early/mid game, the valuable objects are usually ego weapons.
I usually buy cheap items that do not exist in other shops from BM, teleport scrolls, potions of speed, rings of resist poison if I need one, lantern if it appears there before I find it in dungeon, staves of speed etc.

Every now and then it then has something I really really want, like gauntlets of power/agility, but that is not why I check it every time I visit town.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2011, 05:13   #64
Zyphyr
Adept

Zyphyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
DOS350 hasn't tried it so he doesn't count for that statement. I don't recall exact nicks; I just seem to recall someone having made an informed decision that it wasn't for them, then I padded the number to be on the safe side.
I'm may be the one you are remembering.

One of these days I may try a few more times, but I don't really expect to change my mind.
Zyphyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2011, 10:26   #65
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
excuse me, no selling ,~ useless restriction of play, theres enough gold anyway, and its only some blah blah inventory blah weight blah back to town "vaccuum" insanity~ if u let it be , please. please~ no rage

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2011, 11:12   #66
Raggy
Apprentice

Raggy is on a distinguished road
Im convinced as well, on my 3rd char with no selling now, and not looking back.

What I dont like about it, is starting gear, and the dilamma of buying ?WOR, or being forced to go up stair by stair the first dungeon trip
Raggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2011, 12:29   #67
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susramanian View Post
To make these mandatory-optimization players happiest, developers should strive to make optimal gameplay align perfectly with fun gameplay. This is exactly what the no-selling game does.
Thank you - I've been wanting to describe my approach to games properly for years. I am quite severely afflicted by mandatory optimisation (which is why I feel strongly about store stocking and selling). I couldn't play Dragon Age: Origins past the town with the infinite-xp exploit, because I couldn't not use it. Argh.

This is why I want to remove "no-brainer" choices from the game. In 3.3, there will finally be a shield which can compete with Thorin.

EDIT: after reading the full article I am tickled by this bit: "With Civ 3, we introduced a feature that preserved the gameís random seed in the save game file, guaranteeing that individual combats would play out the same way regardless of how many times the player reloaded the game."

Last edited by Magnate; June 17, 2011 at 14:12.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2011, 14:10   #68
tony
Rookie

tony is on a distinguished road
"mandatory-optimization players "

Well at least I know what box I belong in now and it seriously surprises me that there are players that don't play that way.

Currently playing "no sell" and enjoying the freedom!
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2011, 15:23   #69
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos350 View Post
excuse me, no selling ,~ useless restriction of play, theres enough gold anyway, and its only some blah blah inventory blah weight blah back to town "vaccuum" insanity~ if u let it be , please. please~ no rage
To be frank, nobody's going to listen to your opinion on this until you've tried it.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2011, 17:20   #70
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos350 View Post
Hey, you know, it's a game to be played for fun and you should absolutely play it with whatever settings are the most fun for you. If you're sure you always want selling on, and even if you're never going to sample the alternatives, hey it's your fun and there's nothing at all wrong with that. Go for it.

But - if you come to a forum and ask why, THEN don't be surprised if people ask you to try a taste before promoting in discussion how little sense an option makes (and then begin to take you less seriously when you repeatedly decline). Especially if you are clearly part of a small minority on this topic, and especially if lots of people have now explained at some length what they like about it.

Of course play the game the way you like it best. I suspect you've gleaned as much enlightenment from the discussions as there is to be had on this topic, though, until you decide to sample the other settings (and if that never happens, that's fine too - it's your game).
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote