AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old March 14, 2019, 00:30   #1
AndyS
Scout

AndyS is on a distinguished road
Oops. *Destroyed* Morgoth

But not in the way I meant to.

I used a destruction scroll. I didnt even have to, I should have just blinked. I couldnt see him but he had LOS because he blasted me with heavy damage spells 3 or 4 times in a row.

Here's the part that should be good for a laugh if he's gone for good. It's an ironman game.

Will he ever be regenerated? He's not in the dungeon, ive been back and forth across it 5x. Guess I should have used that scroll before he was around. I didnt know it would vanish him permanently (if it did, Im tired of waiting though).

The really crappy thing is that I would have beaten him. My mistakes in previous ironman tries were diving too quickly without consumables, figuring Id pick them on the mid 90s levels but then being forced to dive and then being shorthanded for Morgoth.

This time I was meticulous. A billion turns. I stopped diving and cleared most levels from about 85 on. Not the way I prefer to play but I was determined to win with forced descent just once. A very, very, dumb mistake reading that scroll. I was in no real jeopardy, but I was wasting healing potions.

So... any chance he's coming back? Or did I add to the dumbest move ever list.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 00:52   #2
AndyS
Scout

Useless level too cant even creat traps and hope for a summoning one that might reincarnate him. Argh.
Old March 14, 2019, 01:22   #3
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
He will eventually regenerate, yes. It can take a while--rest 10000 until he wakes you up. Hopefully you won't starve to death in the mwantime.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 01:47   #4
AndyS
Scout

Ah relief. Thank you! Damn, I stopped carrying hunger scrolls and just ate off the floor for ages. And I have free slots. All those dilemmas about what to carry and then you get to 100 you dont need most of them. But hunger yes. If it comes around to haunt me then I've learned 2 lessons. thanks for the reply, would have been bitter to gas this character.
Old March 14, 2019, 01:55   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Note: if there is a permawall vault, there is a chance he won't find you. In any case, you can clear the level before he shows up. If there is a master Q or the like, it will summon M pretty reliably.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 01:56   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
It'd probably be a worthwhile change to say "if a quest monster gets removed from the level without being killed, they are immediately added back to the level somewhere." I think the only valid cases are Destruction, or embedding Sauron in solid rock, but either way it's a crappy way to derail an endgame ironman character.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 02:10   #7
AndyS
Scout

Really crappy way!!!
Old March 14, 2019, 13:24   #8
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I did the same thing once and he never came back. I burned over 100,000 turns. You could try finding summoning staffs and seeing if you can summon him. Sometimes at the end of ironman games if I've run out of levels but need more stuff or character levels I'll use recharge scrolls on summon staffs and TO the undesirables. Could be useful now. (I didn't think of this when I had destructed Morgoth).