Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 14, 2019, 19:21   #171
Chud
Adept

Chud is on a distinguished road
So, I just found a whip which "drains experience" and also "sustains your life force."

Umm.... so, does nothing? :-)
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 21:23   #172
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
I took a break for awhile and I'm now back and trying out some of the current changes, with a necromancer at the moment.
Excellent - I just tried one of those too (although died too early to test much beyond the second book).

Quote:
Overall I like it -- it does feel a little underpowered when it comes to offense though; I'm currently CL19 at DL13 and still using nether bolt pretty much all the time. It did take me a little while to figure out that I get a casting penalty for being in the light though.
Yes, I found this too. It should get better when you can use Disenchant. I'm considering whether any adjustment is needed to the early spells.

Quote:
Tap Unlife is cool, but it's also my only magic weapon against undead, and its high failure rate make it a little sketchy (though you can't argue with the mana cost). It seems like it will be dangerously slow to kill anything except the entry level undead.
I think it probably should do more damage, but give back less mana.

Quote:
Am I right that Noxious Fumes just does poison damage to monsters once - they are not continuing to be poisoned over time, possibly dying on their own a bit later, the way the player is? This will be a lot more useful after I get rPoison.
Yes, there isn't any poison counter for monsters like there is for the player.

Quote:
Does Create Darkness give you any advantage other than removing the penalty for being in the light, if you are?
It also maps and darkens the room if you're in one.
Old March 15, 2019, 14:26   #173
Estragon
Rookie

Estragon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Yes, I found this too. It should get better when you can use Disenchant. I'm considering whether any adjustment is needed to the early spells.
Disenchant is amazing when you get it, as is Crush. The biggest nuisance I've found when playing necromancer is that the first ~6 artifacts (bar one) I found all had a light bonus, which only encouraged me to almost completely ditch magic and hammer my way through with melee. Having found a set of non-light artifacts, I still find myself missing the additional resistances that artifact lights can provide. Perhaps necromancers could learn a spell to remove light bonuses from equipment?
Estragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 22:25   #174
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Considering the light penalty for necromancers, I think I remember floating an idea to Nick that the Palantir be brought back as a "un-light" source for necromancers, mapping and darkening similar to the Arkenstone, but oh so different.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 22:31   #175
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Considering the light penalty for necromancers, I think I remember floating an idea to Nick that the Palantir be brought back as a "un-light" source for necromancers, mapping and darkening similar to the Arkenstone, but oh so different.
I've been playing with this general idea a bit - starting by trying to introduce an ego lantern of Shadows - but haven't got it working satisfactorily yet.

Also the spell to remove light bonuses sounds like a possibility.
Old March 16, 2019, 08:00   #176
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Not sure how familiar you are with the poslikes but they have a darkness flag that can appear in various slots. I'd consider adding a darkness curse which may work in general anyway. There's also shadow cloaks to consider.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019, 11:45   #177
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

New builds are up on the nightlies page, with the following changes:
  • Remove nerf to no-selling gold drops in the first five levels (reverting a change that ruined the game in 2011)
  • Reduce first cast experience for many spells
  • Allow shapechanged players to pick up items
  • Change percentage heal value of Minor Healing from 3/4 player level to 1/4 player level
  • Make Tap Unlife do more damage but give less mana

Not a lot of changes, but aimed at fixing some of the more glaring problems.
Old March 17, 2019, 16:57   #178
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
changes:
  • Change percentage heal value of Minor Healing from 3/4 player level to 1/4 player level
If I'm reading this correctly, at level 50, this spell will restore 12.5% of the player's max HP? In other words, likely a bit over 100HP for most endgame characters. That still feels like "super-regeneration" to me (8 turns of trivial spellcasting instead of resting, and you're back at full health). But at least it's not so powerful that you'd use it in the middle of a fight, which I gather was an issue with the previous version of the spell.

My intuition is that if you want a healing spell that's mostly only useful in the early-to-midgame, it shouldn't restore any percentage of the player's HP, rather being fixed values only. Like, from 10 up to maybe 50 HP.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019, 21:20   #179
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
My intuition is that if you want a healing spell that's mostly only useful in the early-to-midgame, it shouldn't restore any percentage of the player's HP, rather being fixed values only. Like, from 10 up to maybe 50 HP.
The idea was to replace all the minor healing spells with one that scaled; I'm happy to take input on what would do that best
Old March 17, 2019, 23:08   #180
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
The Hydra changes seem to be a bit much. Ran into a pit at 2500', mostly 9-headed (at least 15). Lured one away and the battle quickly became unmanageable with its summons.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote