Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 16, 2018, 10:48   #1
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Slay evil is a boring brand

Pretty much the title. If you plan on melee-ing in the late game you're always looking for slay evil (alternatively +blows). I'm curious as to what it adds because currently it turns a bunch of not-slay evil in to trash. It's a lot harder for weapons to be interesting with such a clear favourite as an option.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018, 13:51   #2
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
If you're playing a class that does not melee, then slays become meaningless and you now become interested in other bonuses that the weapon provides.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018, 15:55   #3
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Umm.. I beg to differ! I rarely wield slay evil weapons in the late game (or any part of the game for that matter). And the reason is simple. Slay Evil is relegated to the weakest damage-boost-multiplier. Branded weapons can affect the same number of targets and usually do more damage than slay evil. So, no. It's not an obvious choice at all. Nothing boring about it, either. Weapon branding/slaying is actually very balanced. The only thing I might say is that powerful slays and perhaps brands, too, are too overpowered on big dice weapons.

I'm always on the look out for big dice branded weapons and *powerful* slays of undead/dragons, which means I often have at least two weapons that I'm switching between. Slay evil weapons are obviously good for the final fights, but more often than not, I'm doing more damage to high value targets with branding and dragon/undead slays.

Honestly, I don't understand what compels you to make this post, Wobbly.
Old December 16, 2018, 17:54   #4
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Ugh ... branded weapons??

Ignoring the "weak" brands (ever popular with randarts), what brand is that? Because Acid is the only viable lategame brand, as EVERYTHING has rFire/Cold/Elect and most have rPois. Many have rAcid too, but not quite as many as the others.

*Slay is far better, you can carry a swap to kill dragons, demons and the occasional undead. The ACTUAL fights are easier with these - i.e. Glaurung dies more easily, but most other lategame fights are not difficult enough that you need a *Slay. Otoh, Slay Evil just increases the damage versus everything ( as nearly every big monster is evil) which is why that's the goto ability for weapons.
Old December 16, 2018, 22:14   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Sky: no. Brands are very powerful. It used to be possible to find acid or electric branded MoD and the like. Yeah, they were not useful against Morgoth and a few other monsters. So what? It does huge damage against just about everything else. (Note that getting 5 or 6 blows with a MoD was a lot easier--or even possible.)
More than once I have used a MoD of Gondolin as a mage. It gets 4 blows and does big damage against all 3 big types. Acid brand is just about as good--and used to be a lot more common.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018, 22:31   #6
Sky
Veteran

Im sorry could you make a practical example of what uniques (or similar mobs) do not resist electricity??
Old December 17, 2018, 00:48   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Im sorry could you make a practical example of what uniques (or similar mobs) do not resist electricity??
Carcharoth, Lungorthin, the Tarrasque, Cantoras, Draugluin, Maeglin, the Witch-King, Qlzqqlzuup, Great Wyrms of Balance/Law/Chaos, Pit Fiends, Feagwath, Bronze Golems, Ungoliant, Black Reavers...I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point. Just search the monster list for "IM_ELEC".
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2018, 09:01   #8
Sky
Veteran

..derp ... looks like i don't know my monster list that well.
Old December 17, 2018, 20:16   #9
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
It's not the monster list so much as knowing your alternatives, which you won't learn if they aren't useful (or even possible.)

The trouble is that (a) brands, especially the top two or three brands--acid, elec, fire--stop showing up on ego items too early to make big 3 branded weapons possible*, and (b) randarts are (still) broken.

* really. Branded weapons top out at dl 60. Scythe of slicing starts at dl 60, and the other two are deeper. So branded MoD and BoC are impossible, and branded SoS only occurs exactly on dl 60 or level equivalent square in special room or vault.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018, 16:39   #10
Muscleguy
Rookie

Muscleguy is on a distinguished road
I disagree, slay evil does a huge range of monsters, all the dragons for eg, including multicoloureds who are immune to all your elemental slays. I think you are prejudicing a large effect on some over a moderately large effect on many more.

Find a weapon with Evil and Slay Animal and that's 90% of monsters. Also remember most of the uniques, certainly most of the humanoid uniques resist a lot of the elemental attacks. Also those able to cast Dispel Evil (which goes up in effect with level) will attest to the satisfaction it can engender. My half Troll Paladin went through a graveyard cavern with ease casting Dispel Evil/Undead (when my mana points wouldn't do Evil any more).
Muscleguy is offline   Reply With Quote