AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 3, 2016, 21:03   #1
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Terrain

The latest development build on the nightly build page has some new styles of dungeon level, and (as promised in the plans thread) has introduced some terrain changes. So far we have
  • Rubble - the passable rubble already in the town now appears in the dungeon as well (there is still some impassable rubble in the dungeon, too)
  • Lava - lava can now be entered by the player, but will burn them. Lava also appears in certain special rooms and vaults in the dungeon. It is impassable to monsters unless they are fire-immune, and can be frozen to rock by strong cold attacks and created from rock by strong fire attacks.

So the question is - what else? Possibilities include
  • Water - looks pretty, probably will stop some monsters and slow the player
  • Trees - look pretty, probably behave rather like passable rubble, will burn
  • Glass (or whatever) - can be seen through but stops movement, missiles and probably spells
  • Battlements (working title) - can be seen over, allow missiles and spells but not movement

The aims are to add tactical interest, and also to add to "feeling of immersion" or whatever.

All comments most welcome (although I'd like at least an attempt reasoned argument ).
Old November 3, 2016, 21:09   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I would be very careful with creating lava from fire attacks. ToME 2 does this and it's kind of a pain in the ass for there to be a bunch of damage tiles appearing just because you cast Fireball a few times or ran into a pack of Fire Hounds.

I'm not saying "don't do it", just make the damage threshold high enough (>500 unresisted?) that you're only likely to see it occasionally in the mid-late game. A Great Hell Wyrm making lava is fine. Not so much the Fire Hounds.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2016, 22:10   #3
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I would be very careful with creating lava from fire attacks. ToME 2 does this and it's kind of a pain in the ass for there to be a bunch of damage tiles appearing just because you cast Fireball a few times or ran into a pack of Fire Hounds.
Speaking as a huge fan (and sort-of-maintainer) of T2... and even ignoring the annoyances of tile damage, having a huge amount of different types of floor tiles can lead to a really confusing and noisy dungeon display. Perhaps it's not too bad if the dungeon itself is only ever generated as "plain" (but monsters can change it via spells/breaths), but when you have dungeons with water/corrupted tiles, etc. it gets really noisy.

So, I'd generally urge a lot a caution even just having more than 2-3 types of floor tiles.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2016, 22:36   #4
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
I agree that having all types possible on any given level messy. However, if limited types are available in any given pits/vaults, or in special level types, that might be OK. It might be worth thinking about a thematic progression of types- caves and forests early on like it's the approach or outer reaches of the dungeon, then moving more into more underground things as you go deeper. This would also be somewhat thematic with the lower level monsters (animals, orcs, elves).

Types you haven't mentioned: Chasm (passable by flying creatures, levitating creatures, otherwise acts as a trap door).

Shiny Wall (i.e. mirror)- reflects beams, provided 2-way visibility around corners. Admittedly very limited use cases here.

Moss/gravel. Modify stealth up or down, maybe to hit benefits/malus due to footing.

Moving water could increase stealth nearby, and maybe provide an exit for the player and/or increase spawn rate. I think drowning when overburdened is frustrating but it is an interesting mechanic I guess? Trees don't add much that the rubble adds as it is now, but I suppose that could change- maybe thorny shrubs that cause damage/cuts, or allow the player to rest undetected by monsters.

I think starting with just Lava and Battlements would be a good idea, since this is a pretty big change.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2016, 23:04   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Lava and chasms and shadow are the only ones that make sense in "The Pits of Angband." Not much grass or water in Mordor, where the shadows lie. Gravel (like NPP sand) makes sense too.
Shadow: Reduces light radius by 1/2. Makes magical illumination impossible. Gives light resistance, but gives darkness vulnerability.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2016, 23:06   #6
nikheizen
Adept

nikheizen is on a distinguished road
Not sure how I feel about water/lava being both being walkable (though I guess lava would need to be walkable if it can be created by monsters - agree with Derakon's assessment of the high damage requirement for this). I feel if they are both walkable at a cost they will be a bit too samey. With the current implementation of Lava, I think unwalkable water would be better.

Very against having a chasms-levitation interaction for this reason, levitation would just be rFloors.

That said, walkable lava (assuming you have some rF+) and chasms would be my top picks.
Battlements could be cool as well. Actually interested in playtesting assuming I don't spend all my roguelikes time this month on the DCSS tournament....
nikheizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2016, 05:55   #7
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
FAAngband has this... and I think it works pretty well there. Looking forward to seeing it in Vanilla.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2016, 06:10   #8
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
One minor cosmetic issue. The symbol for this new version of lava uses the ASCII / Hybrid walls format "#", even if the solid walls option is selected. Previously, the lava would show up commensurate with what would be expected as a solid wall type symbol for lava.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2016, 09:42   #9
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post

I'm not saying "don't do it", just make the damage threshold high enough (>500 unresisted?) that you're only likely to see it occasionally in the mid-late game. A Great Hell Wyrm making lava is fine. Not so much the Fire Hounds.
Currently the fire damage on a grid has to be 600 + 1d1800, so it's not going to be too common.

Thanks for all the thoughts, keep them coming.
Old November 4, 2016, 09:49   #10
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
FAAngband has this... and I think it works pretty well there. Looking forward to seeing it in Vanilla.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote