Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 19, 2017, 03:06   #1
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
let's make angband "easier"

so this is what happened; i had cleared a minor vault, and was about to recall. i decided to move away from my spot with 3 rooms leading to it, so that no mobs would show up when i'm recalling.

i took two steps in a corridor, foolishly double-tapping the movement. move 1 - step on a not-yet-spotted rune of summoning, move 2 - the Ancient Multi-Hued Dragon breather, you die.

How about we add per-event delay. Losing a large percentage of hp adds a fixed delay of 100ms. Triggering a trap adds a similar delay. And so on, with all those critical events which demand immediate action, such as fainting due to lack of food.

Another thing that really could help the game a lot, is to have a new "window" on the bottom of the screen (just a superimposed line of text), where important messages remain for a set amount of time, rather than flashing once in the same area where every combat message happens.
Old October 19, 2017, 03:58   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Have you enabled the Low Hitpoint Warning? IIRC it can't be cleared by stuff like movement keys, only by e.g. spacebar or Enter, precisely for this kind of situation.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2017, 05:07   #3
nikheizen
Adept

nikheizen is on a distinguished road
Adding an ms delay to certain events is a bad idea.
However, adding a -more- prompt to certain events instead of just "when the message log fills up" would make the game a lot more playable.
DCSS has a highly configurable set of force_more_message options and would be a good place to take inspiration from.

Stepping on a trap, going below your HP warning, Big Bad Summons, and more could all get folded into a set of -more- prompts.
nikheizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2017, 09:22   #4
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
In my current game, I recalled on a level with half of it being a huge open area filled with Qs. That was fun...
Old October 19, 2017, 11:49   #5
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
i recalled in an open level within spitting distance of a group of time hounds and another of plasma hounds.
i did manage to TS but that was a 5% flat chance of dying right there and then.
Old October 19, 2017, 19:51   #6
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Sky--it happens. I strongly recommend carrying scrolls for such situations. And if you're at Plasma Hound depth, Teleport Self itself is a significant risk of death.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote