Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 25, 2010, 11:45   #1
the Invisible Stalker
Adept

the Invisible Stalker is on a distinguished road
Is development *too* active?

After a few months of not playing Angband I've recently started playing O again. There are a few things I like about it, one of which is that it is not being developed. Nick has made one or two bug fixes and interface improvements, but otherwise the game is exactly as it was when its maintainer went MIA four years ago. V seems to change every few hours. Some of the changes make the game better. Some seems pointless. A few, to my taste, make it worse. But overall there are just too many changes. It's not just that this makes things confusing for the occasional player like me. The more important issue is balance. Playing O again has reminded me what a balanced game is like.
the Invisible Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2010, 12:09   #2
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Invisible Stalker View Post
After a few months of not playing Angband I've recently started playing O again. There are a few things I like about it, one of which is that it is not being developed. Nick has made one or two bug fixes and interface improvements, but otherwise the game is exactly as it was when its maintainer went MIA four years ago. V seems to change every few hours. Some of the changes make the game better. Some seems pointless. A few, to my taste, make it worse. But overall there are just too many changes. It's not just that this makes things confusing for the occasional player like me. The more important issue is balance. Playing O again has reminded me what a balanced game is like.
Feel free to stick with V 3.0.6 if that suits your tastes better.
Old December 25, 2010, 12:50   #3
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
...or make your own variant. NPP used to have as its catch cry WTTE "Vanilla if development were more aggressive"; given the acceleration of V development, a variant which is "Vanilla if development were less aggressive" would be amusing.

Speaking of O, I am actually contemplating the possibility of doing a new version with some mild modifications - some smoothing of the ID and *ID* process, for example. Sorry if that removes one of your advantages But it will probably never happen.
Old December 25, 2010, 14:44   #4
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
I'd do so if not for the UI differences. I would like to see some things put back, like variable prices in stores based on race relations and things that are xx% off. As the tradition is now to make playtesting branches, I suggest that there is a branch with only UI improvements. I'll try to play that and tell you how it goes.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2010, 17:14   #5
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
...or make your own variant. NPP used to have as its catch cry WTTE "Vanilla if development were more aggressive"; given the acceleration of V development, a variant which is "Vanilla if development were less aggressive" would be amusing.
LOL. That's kind of what NPP is now, since I can't keep up with the current pace of Vanilla Development. I haven't even finished putting in all of the changes from 3.1.2v2, and they went out and released a whole new version.

But I think, after almost 15 years of almost complete inactivity in Angband development, this is great.

Merry Christmas, everybody, and cheers to the Angband dev team for all thier hard work.
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2010, 17:20   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I find it amusing how we've gotten several threads that are basically "I hate how Vanilla keeps changing. I mean, I love the UI improvements, but I hate how the gameplay is different..."

Can't have one without the other, folks, unless you're willing to split them out yourself.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2010, 18:44   #7
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I find it amusing how we've gotten several threads that are basically "I hate how Vanilla keeps changing. I mean, I love the UI improvements, but I hate how the gameplay is different..."

Can't have one without the other, folks, unless you're willing to split them out yourself.
Exactly. No one is going to do all the difficult and less interesting (but equally important) UI work without being able to do some fun gameplay stuff as well.

An active game that is constantly developing is what keeps people interested and coming back for more.
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2010, 20:32   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I'd do so if not for the UI differences. I would like to see some things put back, like variable prices in stores based on race relations and things that are xx% off. As the tradition is now to make playtesting branches, I suggest that there is a branch with only UI improvements. I'll try to play that and tell you how it goes.
Funnily enough we've just been having this discussion ourselves - there are now so many active developers we've decided we need both a "staging" branch (for minor tweaks and bugfixes) and a "testing" branch (for major changes like the splitting of AC into evasion and absorption). That way the nightlies can continue to get the small fixes without being derailed by the big changes until those are more fully tested.

But for those concerned about the current momentum, there are dozens of ossified variants which are unlikely ever to change (as well as previous versions of V, as takk noted). Oangband is currently also my favourite example of a mature, balanced, finished variant - so I hope Nick doesn't go and spoil it ;-)
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2010, 21:16   #9
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Funnily enough we've just been having this discussion ourselves - there are now so many active developers we've decided we need both a "staging" branch (for minor tweaks and bugfixes) and a "testing" branch (for major changes like the splitting of AC into evasion and absorption). That way the nightlies can continue to get the small fixes without being derailed by the big changes until those are more fully tested.
I would suggest having multiple branches - staging as you described, then do one for the evade/absorb thingy, one for O-combat, etc. The only downside to that is that merging two major changes might be slightly tricky, but it shouldn't be too bad if they're more or less orthogonal.
Old December 25, 2010, 21:17   #10
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
But for those concerned about the current momentum, there are dozens of ossified variants which are unlikely ever to change (as well as previous versions of V, as takk noted). Oangband is currently also my favourite example of a mature, balanced, finished variant - so I hope Nick doesn't go and spoil it ;-)
So, the war continues...

See what I did there?