Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old August 13, 2011, 13:49   #1
Shockbolt
Knight

Shockbolt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Shockbolt
Removal suggestions

Removal suggestion 1: Angels

I never quite got the link between Angband and Angels ingame, perhaps it would be wise to drop those religious creatures out of the game, in order to creep closer to the "middle-earth feel"?

I know some of you will say: if we drop those then we need to drop these and those also. But right now, I can only think of those with a religious link within the game, everything else that is non-angband is either brought in from myths or the like.
Old August 13, 2011, 14:12   #2
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockbolt View Post
Removal suggestion 1: Angels

I never quite got the link between Angband and Angels ingame, perhaps it would be wise to drop those religious creatures out of the game, in order to creep closer to the "middle-earth feel"?

I know some of you will say: if we drop those then we need to drop these and those also. But right now, I can only think of those with a religious link within the game, everything else that is non-angband is either brought in from myths or the like.
No more than angels. Angels are just part of one of main religious beliefs, just like titans were in their time. Both mythical creatures from religious fairy tales.

OTOH your point them not being Tolkenian monsters is a valid one, and many variants have replaced them with Ainur. I would have nothing against changing angels to ainur.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011, 15:36   #3
Shockbolt
Knight

Yeah, replacing them would work better than a pure removal I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
No more than angels. Angels are just part of one of main religious beliefs, just like titans were in their time. Both mythical creatures from religious fairy tales.

OTOH your point them not being Tolkenian monsters is a valid one, and many variants have replaced them with Ainur. I would have nothing against changing angels to ainur.
Old August 14, 2011, 03:59   #4
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, replacing them would work better than a pure removal I guess.
I agree with that, if mainly because the angels are interesting monsters. Resist all brands/slays, high ac, deeply asleep (except for the uniques), and they also have interesting attacks including tele-to and tele-away, depending on the angel.

Gabriel and Azriel are also very interesting. Azriel, is the 2nd most likely cause of death for me, right behind drolem. Uriel is just another fire based unique, like Lernean hydra, phoenix, vargo, gothmog, and lungorthin. He's the least interesting angel by far. So I would greatly oppose removing the angels. However, I don't care at all if they're renamed.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2011, 18:38   #5
Shockbolt
Knight

Who would have the powers/authority to decide to permanently rename the various angelic creatures in Angband, into something more inline with Tolkien?
Old August 14, 2011, 19:02   #6
JohnCW9
Adept

JohnCW9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post

You both are totally wrong They are just as real as you are and I have had dealings with angels.
JohnCW9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2011, 19:09   #7
Shockbolt
Knight

Ok then, outside of this game, we agree to disagree regarding angels. Let's keep the discussion within Angband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW9 View Post
You both are totally wrong They are just as real as you are and I have had dealings with angels.
Old August 14, 2011, 19:32   #8
Netbrian
Adept

Netbrian is on a distinguished road
I've become fond of the angels, and vote to keep them as they are. Angband isn't as much Tolkein as a strange mash-up between D&D, Tolkein, and whatever else we felt like putting in -- I don't think they damage thematic consistency worse than anything else, and I like how they present a unique challenge.
Netbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2011, 19:37   #9
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Who would have the powers/authority to decide to permanently rename the various angelic creatures in Angband, into something more inline with Tolkien?
That would be Takkaria. He is the maintainer, so his word is decisive one over everybody else.

While angband is currently developed by a team, he is (or at least should be) the one with the power to make decisions.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2011, 19:39   #10
JohnCW9
Adept

JohnCW9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ok then, outside of this game, we agree to disagree regarding angels. Let's keep the discussion within Angband.
Ok I agree wtih that.
JohnCW9 is offline   Reply With Quote