Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old November 29, 2020, 18:12   #131
archolewa
Swordsman

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Personally, i think making them reduced by shards makes sense. It makes as much sense as rockets getting reduced by shards (something I didnt know for the longest time). This slso means that boulder throwers serve as a good practice for cybetdemons.

On a related note, itd be really nice if the monster memory indicated somewhere what resistance (if any) protect against an attack. Normally its obvious, but not always (see: rockets).
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2020, 18:39   #132
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Shard resistance is already one of the two resistances that can mitigate the side effects of a rock (it protects from cuts; sound resistance protects from stunning); so it would make sense from that perspective too. rShards is already one of the most important high resists, though (together with nether and chaos), so it doesn't really need being made even more important.

From that point of view, sound resistance would work better, since rSound is currently less useful; or the damage could be a combination of sound and shards, like bomb damage already is. But I am not entirely convinced that rock damage needs to be resistable at all; current rocks work reasonably well; the Arena biclops is admittedly a bit of a crapshoot, but it does a good job at preventing @ from just charging straight to the elder thing and the _curewounds.

--

There is already an FAQ entry on the topic of resisting exotic elements with no clear corresponding resistance:

Quote:
Q: Can I ever resist exotic attacks/elements like Water, Ice, Gravity, Rockets or Toxic Waste that aren't listed on my character sheet?

A: In most cases, you cannot resist the raw damage from such exotic elements. (There are a few exceptions - Toxic Waste can be resisted through poison resistance; Rockets have shard-based damage; Levitation effectively provides resistance to Gravity; and Bombs are combined sound and shards and can be resisted accordingly.)

However, many side-effects of exotic elements can be blocked or mitigated by resisting appropriate normal elements. For example, Shard resistance works against the cuts from Ice and Rocks, Sound resistance works against most elemental stunning effects as well as potion destruction from Water, and Cold resistance works against potion destruction from Ice.
Old November 29, 2020, 21:23   #133
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
O/FA give boulders a miss chance.
Old December 1, 2020, 03:47   #134
Seraphimus
Scout

Seraphimus is on a distinguished road
One last question about boulders, does anything stop them from smashing potions? Because if not, then can we at the very least let shards protect from the potion shatter effect they have, it's infuriating how often they smash potions. I even have Shard resist Right now.

Also, I got the lava lam of telmora on a Dragon character. It gives fire Brand but The bonus Appears not to be applying to my claws or bite is this intended behavior?

Last edited by Seraphimus; December 1, 2020 at 06:39.
Seraphimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2020, 10:46   #135
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Potion destruction from rocks is actually already half sound-based and half shards-based; sometimes you get one, sometimes the other. So you can be safe from it; but you need to cover both sound and shards.

--

As stated in the help:

Quote:
Off-weapon slays and brands are never applied to innate attacks or unarmed combat, except for six specific brands (Acid, Electricity, Fire, Cold, Poison and Mana) which are special-cased for martial arts.

Last edited by Sideways; December 1, 2020 at 10:51.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2020, 17:10   #136
Seraphimus
Scout

Seraphimus is on a distinguished road
That would explain it, I seem to have the worst luck covering sound and Shards at the same time.

And ahkay, That's really disappointing, I was super excited to have managed to get a brand on my dragon.
Seraphimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband