AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 3, 2011, 22:27   #1
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb % Explored

Just a quick idea:

Perhaps we could add a % Explored or just a "12%" somewhere on the screen, to show how much of the current level has been illuminated? I don't think we need to add any incentive to fully explore a level, but those people who love fully exploring levels would get a kick of out this. Not sure how hard it would be for the game to determine the % explored, though...
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2011, 22:59   #2
Dughfo
Rookie

Dughfo is on a distinguished road
Being an avid level clearer myself, I would certainly enjoy a feature like this, even without a reward.
Dughfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2011, 23:37   #3
Netbrian
Adept

Netbrian is on a distinguished road
I'm not sold on this -- I think newer players might take the meter as an indication that they should clear levels.
Netbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2011, 00:14   #4
ehertlein
Scout

ehertlein is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netbrian View Post
I'm not sold on this -- I think newer players might take the meter as an indication that they should clear levels.
Dont turn it on by default then. Make it an option people can enable.
ehertlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2011, 00:22   #5
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
A toggled option that defaults to Off is fine with me. I think it might be a fun addition for the level clearers out there, or for people who get that Superb level feeling (or whatever it is called now) and will never forgive themselves for not fully exploring the level.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2011, 00:32   #6
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
I think as a birth option it would be fun. I've spent a lot of time on some superb/excellent levels after clearing them and finding nothing good. Scratching my head and going over every inch wondering, if I missed a dark corner or something.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2011, 00:32   #7
Napsterbater
Adept

Napsterbater is on a distinguished road
No, I'm not making it an option. -- Takkaria
Old August 4, 2011, 03:06   #8
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
I am by no means a level clearer, but I'd like a solid indication of progress as mentioned in this thread. I wouldn't seek out 100% or anything near it, but I might set goals such as no less than 10%, or at least 30% if the level feeling is interesting enough.

This probably sounds stupid, but at a certain point during most games (at any point past the early game) I find myself mindlessly diving because I have no real reason to explore any particular level, therefore I don't, and then I almost always end up in too deep. Sure there's the oft fruitless search for useful gear to fuel exploration, but the odds of finding such get get better with every down staircase so why not? If I could set an arbitrary % cleared, based on arbitrary feelings, it would be a goal of sorts.

Completely off topic but (I don't want to start a thread because the following 5 words convey the full extent of my thoughts on the subject)... anyone interested in fewer staircases? (take that Magnate ).

Last edited by buzzkill; August 4, 2011 at 13:00.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2011, 08:38   #9
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
ICompletely off topic but (I don't want to start a thread because the following 5 words convey the full extent of my thoughts on the subject)... anyone interested in less staircases?
No, but I would be interested in fewer staircases ... ;-)
Old August 5, 2011, 04:24   #10
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
to OP. I suggested a similar thing. I think my delayed level feelings have made it into 3.3, if not they'll be in 3.4 for sure. The way it works is it sets 100 squares on the level and gives you an item feeling when you've seen some percentage of them (i think 15% works pretty well.) This could keep a rough estimate of the % cleared. However, very few people supported this idea.

To buzzkill. A long time ago I tried playing a game where there was only 1 down staircase per level. I also eliminated ?dd I made ?tl only go up. I also made trap doors suck you up to the previous level, becomes I'm that much of a glutton for punishment. It was fun, although I'm pretty sure some people would hate the 'search for stairs' game.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote