Old January 3, 2011, 00:40   #41
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer

Mangojuice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarka View Post
Hello,
Happy New Year everyone : )

Dear Mangojuice, thank you for a very interesting variant! I just started to play Z+A 0.3.3, and I like it very much : )

The only problem... well, the only problem that seems like a big problem: I cannot play it with sound. Sound is turned on, I copied all wav files into lib\xtra\sound directody. There is a line "sound=1" in the ini file. And still... silence. I hear only the warning sound at low hp (which is a windows alert sound), but nothing on hits, kills, etc. Also I can play these wavs normally via winamp.

Is it only my machine, or its a known bug? And what is the solution?

Thank you!
You know, I've never bothered even checking about the sounds.

EDIT: I don't even have the files in my development directories! You could copy the files from another 'band but if that isn't working for you, I'll check it out for the next version. But if this is an OS-specific issue it might be beyond me.
Mangojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2011, 01:51   #42
Snarka
Scout

Snarka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangojuice View Post
You know, I've never bothered even checking about the sounds.

EDIT: I don't even have the files in my development directories! You could copy the files from another 'band but if that isn't working for you, I'll check it out for the next version. But if this is an OS-specific issue it might be beyond me.
Thanks for such a quick answer : ).

That is very strange... The sound works fine in Zangband 2.7.4c right here at my machine, with my os (Win XP SP3). If you changed nothing - then it must work also in ZpA. What files do you mean for me to copy? I copied wav files (i.e., hit.wav, eat.wav, and all them). There is a sound.cfg file in your ZpA zip which refers to these wav files. It looks like the Z274c cfg file.

P.S.: I just replaced your sound.cfg with the same file from Z274c. Now the "sound" directory is exactly same as in Z274c. The sound works in Z274c and doesn't work in ZpA033. So the problem is probably in the main game file... somehow...

Unfortunately I'm not a programmer and can't inderstand the code at all...

Last edited by Snarka; January 3, 2011 at 01:59.
Snarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2011, 19:44   #43
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
10 characters

Last edited by EpicMan; January 3, 2011 at 19:47. Reason: Deleted duplicate post
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2011, 19:46   #44
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
If you're looking for a more different priest magic system you might want to look at how DCSS does religions. It has a variety of religions with different rules and benefits.

You could also trade mana for piety. Have Piety regenerate much more slowly (or not at all) and then have certain actions/activities boost piety, which can then be spent on various abilities or result in being granted a gift from the gods. TOME 2 had a system like this for priests but underdeveloped it and forced priests to either be warriors or to max mindcrafting to be viable.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2011, 23:36   #45
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Err, Is it just me, or does the source tar.gz archive have some really strange permissions? If I untar it I can't read any of the directories generated, and can only delete them as root - and that's when I DON'T preserve permissions. When I do, ls -l shows a long series of ? symbols for all the permissions... What is going on?
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2011, 00:46   #46
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therem Harth View Post
Err, Is it just me, or does the source tar.gz archive have some really strange permissions? If I untar it I can't read any of the directories generated, and can only delete them as root - and that's when I DON'T preserve permissions. When I do, ls -l shows a long series of ? symbols for all the permissions... What is going on?
Ugh. Permissions. Right, see, I was putting that .tar.gz file together on windows where there are no permissions. Let me see if I can chmod everything.

EDIT: Well, I can't in Windows. I have the program, it just says permission is denied. It seems to work in cygwin, but everything has rwx permissions. I suppose that's better, right? I'll upload that as an alternate version on sourceforge. Look for ZPlusAngband_033beta_src_a+rwx.tar.gz. But do me a favor and see if you could at least *set* permissions as root?

Last edited by Mangojuice; January 6, 2011 at 00:58.
Old January 6, 2011, 01:42   #47
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Yeah sorry about that, chmod -R a=rwx (as root) makes it work. Kind of a ham-fisted approach though.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2011, 02:30   #48
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therem Harth View Post
Yeah sorry about that, chmod -R a=rwx (as root) makes it work. Kind of a ham-fisted approach though.
Clearly I need a different routine to create the source dist. It should work to do it entirely in cygwin. But normally I don't use cygwin because a build inside cygwin doesn't work outside of it.
Old January 6, 2011, 07:30   #49
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
You could also just provide a regular .zip. Any modern *nix flavor which can compile/run modern *bands probably has an 'unzip' implementation.

There is also an option to GNU tar at least called "--no-same-permissions" which just uses the logged in user's normal permissions for extracting. So you could instruct people to use

tar --no-same-permissions -xvf <FILENAME>

when extacting -- though, obviously, it'd be best if the archive Just Worked(TM).

EDIT: When creating the archive, GNU tar also has a "--mode" option which may be of interest. I'm not sure exactly what format the argument takes, but I'd imagine something like --mode=a+rX would work.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2011, 14:00   #50
RogerN
Swordsman

RogerN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangojuice View Post
So now I'd like to start talking about ideas for v.0.3.4.

On my to-do list:
1. Dungeons need names. It's silly that they don't have them.
2. The player should get warned when they discover a dungeon entrance in the wilderness.
3. Tavern rumors - could be a waste of time and gold, but can also give you useful information
4. "Travel to" mode, which routes a player to a given space automatically, via running. (snip)

And some things I'm considering:
1. I think Z+ has an object-filtering problem... too much junk. [snip]
2. Throwing weapons (snip)
3. A back of my head thing - I feel like priestly (Priest/Paladin/Monk) magic is too much like normal magic. (snip)
I love all of your ideas (especially #2! Maybe then I can finally avoid getting killed by Strygalldwir in the wilderness!) Except perhaps #3... we already have Scrolls of Rumor which fill that purpose. I suppose you could just get rid of the scrolls and merge the same functionality into Inns or something.

Regarding your proposed *Identify* enhancement: I think that would be a very welcome change. On the other hand, I would restrict this behavior to only the scroll version of *Identify*. If players could achieve the same effects through the Thieve's guild services or even *Identify* spells then I think it would be too powerful.

Regarding throwing weapons, SAngband has a nice throwing system IMO. The mechanics are heavily based on your throwing skill, which doesn't quite work for Z+ gameplay, but there are still some good ideas to steal. Z+ already has at least one obvious throwing weapon - Hammers of Returning. Other stuff: shurikens, javelins, throwing knives, darts (always poisoned?)...
RogerN is offline   Reply With Quote