AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old January 7, 2011, 01:35   #51
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer

Mangojuice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerN View Post
I love all of your ideas (especially #2! Maybe then I can finally avoid getting killed by Strygalldwir in the wilderness!) Except perhaps #3... we already have Scrolls of Rumor which fill that purpose. I suppose you could just get rid of the scrolls and merge the same functionality into Inns or something.
So I actually have an even better solution for #2 in mind. Instead of having guards outside, where you get wasted just for wandering too close, why not have an antechamber? That way you don't face the guards unless you deliberately decide to. The antechamber would be underground, but at dlvl 1, and you can't descend except via the staircase. (Teleport level will always send you upwards). There's no treasure, and there are lots of guards at similar difficulty to what they are currently, and the dungeon is wide open with basically no walls and the staircase down in the middle of the guards. The stairs up are far away so it's not easy or safe to farm for XP. Once you've passed the antechamber "test" it's just like it is now once you've gotten into the dungeon: you don't have to face them again (and the stairs go straight past the antechamber from then on).

I like your idea about restricting the enhanced *ID* power to scrolls. It needs to be something players never have infinite access to, but also something not too hard to find.
Mangojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2011, 05:28   #52
Snarka
Scout

Snarka is on a distinguished road
Dear Mangojuice,

Here is what Kipar, a guy from the Russian forum about roguelike games, wrote about sound in Z+A (in my translation):

"I found this line in the main-win.c:

line #2029

/* HACK: disabling sounds
return (PlaySound(buf, 0, SND_FILENAME | SND_ASYNC)); */

And this line in makefile:

#LIBS := -lib$(LCC_PATH)\lib\winmm.lib -I$(LCC_PATH)\include
LIBS := -I$(LCC_PATH)\include

I see that this version was compiled without sound support. My attempts to compile it with sound were unsuccessiful so far: I got messages about the PlaySound@12 function not found, and some strange error in rooms.c:2533. Probably you need somebody who knows C better than me."

Maybe it is possible to somehow "unhack" that HACKED function? : ))

The game would be absolutely perfect with sound! : ) I do llove it very much already, especially monster heroes : )
Old January 7, 2011, 13:33   #53
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarka View Post
Dear Mangojuice,

Here is what Kipar, a guy from the Russian forum about roguelike games, wrote about sound in Z+A (in my translation):
Yeah, what I have to do is look at the current implementation of Vanilla angband to see how they deal with sound in Windows. I don't remember disabling sounds... but it's possible I did that to get the code to work when I was just starting this project.
Old January 7, 2011, 14:33   #54
Seany C
Swordsman

Donated: $20
Seany C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangojuice View Post
So I actually have an even better solution for #2 in mind. Instead of having guards outside, where you get wasted just for wandering too close, why not have an antechamber? That way you don't face the guards unless you deliberately decide to. The antechamber would be underground, but at dlvl 1, and you can't descend except via the staircase. (Teleport level will always send you upwards). There's no treasure, and there are lots of guards at similar difficulty to what they are currently, and the dungeon is wide open with basically no walls and the staircase down in the middle of the guards. The stairs up are far away so it's not easy or safe to farm for XP. Once you've passed the antechamber "test" it's just like it is now once you've gotten into the dungeon: you don't have to face them again (and the stairs go straight past the antechamber from then on).

I like the sound of that - to be candid, the difficulty of getting into a "proper" dungeon without getting mashed in the wilderness was one of the reasons that I stopped playing Z/Z+ (and nearly went back to 2.2.x)...
Seany C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2011, 14:37   #55
TJA
Adept

TJA is on a distinguished road
There is a "Z+Angband Maintainer" missing in your profile
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2011, 14:39   #56
Snarka
Scout

Quote:
Yeah, what I have to do is look at the current implementation of Vanilla angband to see how they deal with sound in Windows. I don't remember disabling sounds... but it's possible I did that to get the code to work when I was just starting this project.
Thanks! It would be great if you could turn this function back on.

Actually, no need to look as far back as Vanilla Angband: sound works fine in Zangband, even in the latest version 2.7.5 for Windows. Z+A is based on it, correct?

Sound gives the game a feel of much more realism, and battles feel much hotter : ). I added many more wav files for various events, and even change sometimes sound.cfg for male or female characters - they shout appropriate lines in a YASD event : )). For me, it adds some flavor to the game, and its a pity I cant use it with Z+A. Sound would make Z+A an ideal variant for me: in general, Z+A preserves the feel of Zangband, but a Zangband as it was meant to be, if it were not stopped years ago.

I'm very happy someone picked it up and develops again! Thank you!
Old January 8, 2011, 19:35   #57
Jude
Adept

Jude is on a distinguished road
Random question: Sometimes, when I hit monsters, I get numbers on how much damage I did and how much health they have left. Other times, I don't. I have yet to discern a pattern here. What gives?
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2011, 20:29   #58
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Random question: Sometimes, when I hit monsters, I get numbers on how much damage I did and how much health they have left. Other times, I don't. I have yet to discern a pattern here. What gives?
You get that info if you're human. The idea was to make human a good race choice for beginners: though they don't get other abilities, humans have no XP penalty and get the exact damage info in combat, plus better pseudo-id than others.
Old January 9, 2011, 00:54   #59
Snarka
Scout

Quote:
* Rebirth: Load up your dead (v.0.3.3) character's save file and you'll have the option of skipping character generation: you just get the same character you started with last time!
* Competition mode: Competing with others? Instead of copy/pasting the savefile, just load your dead character. In competition mode, you'll start over in exactly the same world... only the object flavors will be re-rolled, so you can't simply remember what that Elm Staff was...
What does it mean, "you'll start over in exactly the same world"? Same wilderness, same quests? Hmm...

I'd like the new game to remember monster memory, but to get new birth options, and everything else new. As it was in Z when I loaded a death file. Is it possible to do so?

I tried to answer Yes to the rebirth question, and got the same char with the same birth options. Actually, my char commited suicide with the purpose to change birth options: I forgot about this when generated it. And I'd like to play with silly monsters and more frequent artefacts. So, the new char was also suicided, and now I answered No to the rebirth question.

What things will keep the same now? Monster memory is the same, and I get a message like "one of your ancestors killed 10 such monsters..." But what about cities and quests?
Old January 9, 2011, 02:09   #60
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Monster memory being retained from one character to the next is normal behavior (for all bands AFAIK). Since you answered 'no' to the rebirth question, I'd assume it was a normal birth and thus new everything, except monster memory.