Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2018, 11:19   #61
Philip
Knight
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague,Czech Republic
Posts: 883
Philip is on a distinguished road
If you're playing with connected stairs then yes, I suppose you could do that. This is one reason why I generally prefer playing without connected stairs, since that way you either burn a consumable or you have to make your way to a staircase somewhere.

In general though, "murderous" almost certainly means either a vault or a pit, which should be detectable. If you're sufficiently paranoid with detection, you should be fine. Of course, it doesn't mean you should want to stay on the level.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 11:21   #62
Mondkalb
Knight
 
Mondkalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 906
Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
You could also just go down.
There is nothing special to any level, besides a number used in the generation algorithm.
Nearly anything can appear on any level, within some restrictions. Better stuff and more dangerous monsters as well as greater vaults are more likely to be generated on deeper levels. That's it.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 11:24   #63
Mondkalb
Knight
 
Mondkalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 906
Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
You seem to keep putting yourself in nasty situations. Why were you at 1/3 of your max hp standing in front of a Patriarch? Why did you fight the Master Lich? I imagine you're going to fight the dragons too. Why?
I was thinking the same a while ago.

There is no need to fight each and every monster, especially the dangerous ones, unless you are able to kill them in a few turns without using up your consumables.
Also, this behaviour will most likely kill your char on deeper levels.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 15:12   #64
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,055
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
What Philip said. Getting down to really low HP should be a rare event, as in only 2 or 3 times a game. If it isn't, you will never win. You can afford to take life threatening risks *only* If the potential payoff is large (which is to say: the contents of a very good vault.) Otherwise, low HP is a sign you made a potentially fatal mistake. If it can get you down to 1/3 HP in a single turn, you cannot afford to fight it. That is a mistake, not a reason to try again.

This is why I so strongly recommend using a DL 40 character as a starting save file: play at that depth is very different, and techniques that may have worked earlier are simply lethal when you get deeper.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 15:43   #65
Sideways
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 334
Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
What Philip said. Getting down to really low HP should be a rare event, as in only 2 or 3 times a game. If it isn't, you will never win. You can afford to take life threatening risks *only* If the potential payoff is large (which is to say: the contents of a very good vault.) Otherwise, low HP is a sign you made a potentially fatal mistake. If it can get you down to 1/3 HP in a single turn, you cannot afford to fight it.
Unless the monster's slow enough it cannot double-move you, and you either have zero-fail teleport other (which paladins don't get) or know with absolute 100% certainty that ?phasedoor will take you someplace safe.
__________________
The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 17:17   #66
Petoften
Knight
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 535
Petoften is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
You could also just go down.
There is nothing special to any level, besides a number used in the generation algorithm.
Nearly anything can appear on any level, within some restrictions. Better stuff and more dangerous monsters as well as greater vaults are more likely to be generated on deeper levels. That's it.
Ya, I meant more, what are people's opinions about the more dangerous levels - ignore the danger, or try to avoid it by regenerating the level?
Petoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 17:24   #67
Sideways
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 334
Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoften View Post
Ya, I meant more, what are people's opinions about the more dangerous levels - ignore the danger, or try to avoid it by regenerating the level?
Don't ignore the danger. It can kill you. It can also be an opportunity, though, so what you could do is investigate the danger - find why the level is so dangerous, detect constantly to avoid blindly running into it, and see if there's a vault with valuable items you can grab without getting killed.

(Or you can avoid it.)
__________________
The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 17:28   #68
Petoften
Knight
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 535
Petoften is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
In general though, "murderous" almost certainly means either a vault or a pit, which should be detectable.
I just did a 'sense surroundings' spell and it mapped the level and almost looks barren without any groups of anything, or even large rooms.
Petoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 17:29   #69
Petoften
Knight
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 535
Petoften is on a distinguished road
Do 'locate treasure' rods have any use when I have the sense surroundings spell?
Petoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 17:30   #70
Petoften
Knight
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 535
Petoften is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Don't ignore the danger. It can kill you. It can also be an opportunity, though, so what you could do is investigate the danger - find why the level is so dangerous, detect constantly to avoid blindly running into it, and see if there's a vault with valuable items you can grab without getting killed.

(Or you can avoid it.)
OK, so don't just say 'murderous' (or worse), avoid it - rather, use caution and be ready to get out, but it can be worth doing.
Petoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to run OmnibandTK 1.5 timmy02l Variants 2 April 3, 2017 13:47
I can no longer run Feloniousmonk Vanilla 1 March 14, 2016 11:06
Hit and Run.... Fendell Orcbane AAR 16 June 24, 2010 22:03
Man on the run....well High Elf on the run. Fendell Orcbane AAR 10 May 1, 2010 09:50
Run away from uniques! slashme Vanilla 3 February 25, 2008 20:44


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.