Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 9, 2018, 11:19   #61
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
If you're playing with connected stairs then yes, I suppose you could do that. This is one reason why I generally prefer playing without connected stairs, since that way you either burn a consumable or you have to make your way to a staircase somewhere.

In general though, "murderous" almost certainly means either a vault or a pit, which should be detectable. If you're sufficiently paranoid with detection, you should be fine. Of course, it doesn't mean you should want to stay on the level.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 11:21   #62
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
You could also just go down.
There is nothing special to any level, besides a number used in the generation algorithm.
Nearly anything can appear on any level, within some restrictions. Better stuff and more dangerous monsters as well as greater vaults are more likely to be generated on deeper levels. That's it.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 11:24   #63
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
You seem to keep putting yourself in nasty situations. Why were you at 1/3 of your max hp standing in front of a Patriarch? Why did you fight the Master Lich? I imagine you're going to fight the dragons too. Why?
I was thinking the same a while ago.

There is no need to fight each and every monster, especially the dangerous ones, unless you are able to kill them in a few turns without using up your consumables.
Also, this behaviour will most likely kill your char on deeper levels.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 15:12   #64
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
What Philip said. Getting down to really low HP should be a rare event, as in only 2 or 3 times a game. If it isn't, you will never win. You can afford to take life threatening risks *only* If the potential payoff is large (which is to say: the contents of a very good vault.) Otherwise, low HP is a sign you made a potentially fatal mistake. If it can get you down to 1/3 HP in a single turn, you cannot afford to fight it. That is a mistake, not a reason to try again.

This is why I so strongly recommend using a DL 40 character as a starting save file: play at that depth is very different, and techniques that may have worked earlier are simply lethal when you get deeper.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 15:43   #65
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
What Philip said. Getting down to really low HP should be a rare event, as in only 2 or 3 times a game. If it isn't, you will never win. You can afford to take life threatening risks *only* If the potential payoff is large (which is to say: the contents of a very good vault.) Otherwise, low HP is a sign you made a potentially fatal mistake. If it can get you down to 1/3 HP in a single turn, you cannot afford to fight it.
Unless the monster's slow enough it cannot double-move you, and you either have zero-fail teleport other (which paladins don't get) or know with absolute 100% certainty that ?phasedoor will take you someplace safe.
Old July 9, 2018, 17:17   #66
Petoften
Knight

Petoften is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
You could also just go down.
There is nothing special to any level, besides a number used in the generation algorithm.
Nearly anything can appear on any level, within some restrictions. Better stuff and more dangerous monsters as well as greater vaults are more likely to be generated on deeper levels. That's it.
Ya, I meant more, what are people's opinions about the more dangerous levels - ignore the danger, or try to avoid it by regenerating the level?
Petoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 17:24   #67
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoften View Post
Ya, I meant more, what are people's opinions about the more dangerous levels - ignore the danger, or try to avoid it by regenerating the level?
Don't ignore the danger. It can kill you. It can also be an opportunity, though, so what you could do is investigate the danger - find why the level is so dangerous, detect constantly to avoid blindly running into it, and see if there's a vault with valuable items you can grab without getting killed.

(Or you can avoid it.)
Old July 9, 2018, 17:28   #68
Petoften
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
In general though, "murderous" almost certainly means either a vault or a pit, which should be detectable.
I just did a 'sense surroundings' spell and it mapped the level and almost looks barren without any groups of anything, or even large rooms.
Old July 9, 2018, 17:29   #69
Petoften
Knight

Do 'locate treasure' rods have any use when I have the sense surroundings spell?
Old July 9, 2018, 17:30   #70
Petoften
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Don't ignore the danger. It can kill you. It can also be an opportunity, though, so what you could do is investigate the danger - find why the level is so dangerous, detect constantly to avoid blindly running into it, and see if there's a vault with valuable items you can grab without getting killed.

(Or you can avoid it.)
OK, so don't just say 'murderous' (or worse), avoid it - rather, use caution and be ready to get out, but it can be worth doing.