Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 23, 2010, 01:54   #131
pampl
RePosBand maintainer

pampl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
EDIT3: Hmm. Quality squelch classes a ring or amulet as bad if ANY of the following are true:
pval <0
+to_hit <0
+to_dam <0
+to_ac <0

... this pretty much guarantees that all mixed-blessing jewelry will always be squelched as bad. Revising this is beyond 3.2, so for now it's enough that it's not covered by squelch worthless. People can avoid quality squelch of rings and amulets in the early game if they want to use the mixed-blessing ones.
Why not make it so ALL of them have to be <=0? That would also let other mixed blessing EQ, like Calris, be unsquelched. I guess that wouldn't fix "Inertia getting squelched though.
pampl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2010, 17:11   #132
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Boy View Post
I noticed a couple issues with the most recently nightly.

1. I play with the gervais tiles and bigtile mode, (tile width 16x32) it looks like spell effects and shooting are not being displayed correctly. This only happens with bigtile, doubletile, and triple tile. With those options unchecked it displays correctly. Status effects suffer from the same issue in that they do not display in bigtile mode.

2. It looks like there are some highlighted tiles being left near the health bars that are not being redrawn correctly.
This should be fixed as of the nightly id 033d97c, which is due out at 1800 UTC.
Old December 24, 2010, 04:54   #133
APWhite
Adept

APWhite is on a distinguished road
Before you give the final post, the borg would like to have a couple of changes assimilated. We still don't have the screensaver working yet. But the non-screensaver borg needs a few changes to compile correctly.
APWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2010, 05:17   #134
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
This should be fixed as of the nightly id 033d97c, which is due out at 1800 UTC.
Looks like this is currently fixed. I did notice a new anomaly. When I inspected a stack of 11 spears (1d6) (+0, +0) they show an average damage per hit of 15.4 which is higher then the (2d5) weapon in the next store slot. When I purchased the weapon it displayed the same damage, have not tested it on any monsters yet to see if it is a display issue or actual damage.

*edit* nevermind this, noticed it is damage/round now which is nice

Last edited by Jungle_Boy; December 24, 2010 at 05:31.
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2010, 07:17   #135
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhite View Post
Before you give the final post, the borg would like to have a couple of changes assimilated. We still don't have the screensaver working yet. But the non-screensaver borg needs a few changes to compile correctly.
Pull requests and patches welcome!
Old December 24, 2010, 10:07   #136
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhite View Post
Hmm - if you'd like the new borg code shipped in 3.2, please hurry - takk is planning on releasing it today! Please either send a patch against the current master branch (or nightly), or better still, put your fork up on github ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2010, 22:40   #137
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Talking about bad quality squelch getting anything with any bad value vs all bad values ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampl View Post
Why not make it so ALL of them have to be <=0? That would also let other mixed blessing EQ, like Calris, be unsquelched. I guess that wouldn't fix "Inertia getting squelched though.
The main reason is that it used to be the right way to do things. It is still useful this way, because e.g. I just wielded a shovel with pval -1. The way the code has been [I do not know if or when this will change] this means that tohit and todam are also negative. I know I want it squelched, and I don't want to have to go whack a mold and let it hit me back to learn all of the values before it can be squelched as bad.

Rings of the mouse are still junk, but now a ring of the dog is useful. For now, bad quality squelch works on the class of weapons, and for some people at some times would be useful for all jewelry.

I never use quality squelch on all jewelry.

I'd prefer that stuff like to_hit be apparent on wield. In that sort of system, it might be feasible to require properties of all of the values.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2011, 19:15   #138
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Talking about bad quality squelch getting anything with any bad value vs all bad values ...

The main reason is that it used to be the right way to do things. It is still useful this way, because e.g. I just wielded a shovel with pval -1. The way the code has been [I do not know if or when this will change] this means that tohit and todam are also negative. I know I want it squelched, and I don't want to have to go whack a mold and let it hit me back to learn all of the values before it can be squelched as bad.
But I don't think we should make that assumption for all players. Ideally I'd like to see a UI that allows the player to define "bad", or at least select from "-ve pval", "all mods -ve", "-ve dam" etc. etc.
Quote:
Rings of the mouse are still junk, but now a ring of the dog is useful. For now, bad quality squelch works on the class of weapons, and for some people at some times would be useful for all jewelry.
Rings of mouse are great if you're killing with spells or missiles, as the minus to melee damage is the only drawback. It's actually better than a ring of Dex in those cases.
Quote:
I'd prefer that stuff like to_hit be apparent on wield. In that sort of system, it might be feasible to require properties of all of the values.
The ID minigame is a constant tug-of-war between tedium and flavour. Too much stuff known on wield loses flavour - I think it's a shame that ALL current pval-related flags are obvious on wield (including stealth!). I plan to change this to restore a bit of flavour and let a bit of time elapse before you know all an item's pvals.
Old January 1, 2011, 22:37   #139
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Rings of mouse are great if you're killing with spells or missiles, as the minus to melee damage is the only drawback. It's actually better than a ring of Dex in those cases.
That's like saying it is better than a ring of feather fall. If you are not using melee, why would you care about Dex?

I suppose you might be saying it is useful as a stealth ring for a char who never melees. My 99.9% pure mages never considered it, but maybe that's a weak spot in my game. I'd prefer even a ring of protection.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2011, 22:41   #140
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
That's like saying it is better than a ring of feather fall. If you are not using melee, why would you care about Dex?
What's not to like? It helps shooting, dodging burglars, disarming, etc. etc.
Quote:
I suppose you might be saying it is useful as a stealth ring for a char who never melees. My 99.9% pure mages never considered it, but maybe that's a weak spot in my game. I'd prefer even a ring of protection.
I probably rely too much on stealth.

I'm not saying it's great, but it's not junk. I use =Mouse over =Dog in most cases. They're both good once you find a scroll of restore item ...