Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 7, 2011, 09:56   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
Hmm. My first thought is that the easiest way to address this problem would be, well, not to. The resistances and sustains and whatnot that most characters get from good weapons are simply not available to you, sorry. If you wanted to then make the Monk less of a severe challenge class, you could compensate by introducing some items that are only usable by monks that fill some of those gaps. (Or items that are usable by everyone but dramatically more powerful for monks, if you prefer.) Adjust their frequency for appropriate balance.
Play Sangband if you want to get an idea for how this can be done well. Two different unarmed combat styles, each of which has unique bonuses and abilities, and which (at high levels) provide some but not all of the resists one might obtain from a weapon.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2011, 15:02   #12
fyonn
Adept

fyonn is on a distinguished road
When I heard the question, I originally envisioned a class that refused to use physical violence and only used magic, ie no hand to hand combat at all. perhaps wearing armour and having to get all resistances that way, but no hand, or ranged weapon...

I'd also imaging them to be a priest class too, perhaps they'd get the priest spells cheaper and quicker and some special monk only spells? some level additions? speed maybe?

no combat is a big negative. even high end mages do a lot of melee...
fyonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2011, 10:43   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyonn View Post
When I heard the question, I originally envisioned a class that refused to use physical violence and only used magic, ie no hand to hand combat at all. perhaps wearing armour and having to get all resistances that way, but no hand, or ranged weapon...

I'd also imaging them to be a priest class too, perhaps they'd get the priest spells cheaper and quicker and some special monk only spells? some level additions? speed maybe?

no combat is a big negative. even high end mages do a lot of melee...
That's what I meant earlier about the two different aspects to this. Creating a class that doesn't use combat is much easier than adding decent unarmed combat. Even stuff like giving them easier access to spells or other buffs is not too hard.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote