Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 7, 2013, 21:03   #11
robbiodobbio
Adept

robbiodobbio is on a distinguished road
ok so just deep descended to level 21, had a run in with my first pack of uruks but it was ok, the 2 shots a go thing really helps, trouble is my new longbow is just average so on the look our for some scrolls or a better one.

My first trip down as a bowman didnt last long as i only took 25 arrows! They didnt last long so I've come back up, gonna go back down with 99! Cheers for the advice.
robbiodobbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2013, 21:07   #12
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Greater hordes are potential dangerous, so be careful an have means of escape (teleport/descend/teleport away).
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2013, 21:29   #13
robbiodobbio
Adept

I've got a staff of teleport so i'm using that. Trips to this level are much shorter than trips to level 15! I met shagrat and his gang, ground down most of his gang with arrows but there's no way i can take the big man himself on yet. I teleported and met a 3 headed hydra! So a quick recall was in order. It's riskier this way but more fun, getting loads of XP too.
Old February 7, 2013, 22:51   #14
Oramin
Swordsman

Oramin is on a distinguished road
Bow means short bow or long bow and *not* crossbow.

If you can handle a monster w/out using your bow, do it. Otherwise you burn through your ammo.
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013, 00:50   #15
robbiodobbio
Adept

one more thing, at the start of the game i had a quiver, how do i refill that? or is it automatic? Is there now a short cut for firing arrows too? Im still selecting the arrows and targeting with "t" / "5" etc.
Old February 8, 2013, 00:58   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The "quiver" is simply an equipment slot for arrows. Wielding arrows puts them in the quiver; the only advantage is that the amount of inventory space you dedicate to the quiver depends on the total number of arrows you wield, not on the number of stacks. So for example, if you have two stacks of 20 arrows apiece, they'd take two slots in the inventory, but if you wield them, then you only lose 1 slot.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013, 05:00   #17
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiodobbio View Post
Ok thanks for the help.

Just a few more things:
What's better crossbow or long bow? At the moment I've got a crossbow.
So I should be good to dive to level 20 then. What resistances will I need? If I see a ring of free action in black market should I buy it?
For a ranger a bow, especially after clvl 20 (you get extra shot).

For dlvl 20 none. Resistances are not exactly necessity before you start to run into ancient dragons, and especially when you see ancient multihued dragon. You just need to know to bail out from fight early enough to survive. Avoid those heavy breathers that you don't have a resistance against.

From order of importance of resists, fire is most common (and it burns arrows, books staves and scrolls), poison next, but a bit less deadly, then cold, then electricity and then acid. Acid last because it gets halved every time it tries to damage your gear (even if not successful) so as long as you have every armor slot filled and item isn't already at effective zero AC ([1,-1] cloak) damage gets halved.

Then from rest I think I would put nexus first (at least until you have your stats maxed, or get your saving throw to 100%), then shards (gelugons), then dark/light (if you can get both, prevents blindness from those attacks)...hmm...disenchantment (annoying, but not really deadly until very deep), chaos (prevents hallusination), nether (very common and rather damaging, but has pretty harmless side-effect, and resistance can't be trusted).

From abilities telepathy is most important (allows you to see what's coming), then see invisible, then blindness, then confusion and stun (can't decide which first). Crowns of serenity are a must as swap.

Yes. Paralyzation might not be instant death anymore, but it is still pretty deadly, so free action is necessity deep in the dungeon.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013, 14:50   #18
robbiodobbio
Adept

What is a saving throw? I've never understood it.

I didn't even realise you could equip the arrows now, that's handy gonna free up some space in the old backpack. Is there a keyboard short cut for fire arrow at nearest foe?
Old February 8, 2013, 15:17   #19
thapper
Adept

thapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiodobbio View Post
Is there a keyboard short cut for fire arrow at nearest foe?
With the risk of making a fool of myself, isn't this 'h'? It fires the first type of arrow in your quiver.
thapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013, 15:20   #20
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Firing at the nearest target can be activated as a default option somewhere in the options menu (=).

The saving throw is probably a term from D&D games. There it means a dice roll to determine whether an action is successful or not for instance an attack or evasion or resistance to something (in Angband the dice roll is performed by generating a random number in the hidden game calculations).
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote