Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 20, 2014, 01:16   #21
T-Mick
Adept

T-Mick is on a distinguished road
Since someone brought up Half-Elves and their Un-Tolkien lameness, it should be said that Quickband has the best Half-Elves. They have good stats, not exactly Dunedain or High-Elf level, but all plusses, and have a sort of permanent Auto-Scum, flavored as a "great destiny", which makes them awesome. Quickband is already a fast game, but Auto-Scum + Half-Elf makes for coffeebreak speeds.
T-Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2014, 01:35   #22
mewmew
Apprentice

mewmew is on a distinguished road
>"Free will" is also questionable thing. If they are Melkor creations, they might need an spiritual overlord of some kind to be able to act. A bit like The One is alive they are alive, because they are bind to whatever thing created them. Melkor isn't dead, just imprisoned.

Well, it's mentioned in Silmarillion that when Aule created dwarves they might move only by his direct commands:

"For thou hast from me as a gift thy own bring only, and no more; and therefore the creatures of thy hand and mind can live only by that being, moving when thou thinkest to move them, and if thy thought be elsewhere, standing idle. Is that thy desire?"

I don't think it's very plausible that Morgoth command every move of every existing troll personally... Nazguls had human souls, orcs are corrupted elves, werewolves/wargs are some spirits tied to wolven bodies, possibly the second part may be related to trolls too, not sure. Anyway, I googled a bit and it seems that LoTR mentioned some "troll-men" without describing exactly who were those:

"East rode the knights of Dol Amroth driving the enemy before them: troll-men and Variags and orcs that hated the sunlight."
mewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2014, 05:58   #23
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmew View Post
Well, it's mentioned in Silmarillion that when Aule created dwarves they might move only by his direct commands:

"For thou hast from me as a gift thy own bring only, and no more; and therefore the creatures of thy hand and mind can live only by that being, moving when thou thinkest to move them, and if thy thought be elsewhere, standing idle. Is that thy desire?"
Had forgotten that.

Tolkien himself was not quite sure what trolls were. They don't seem corrupted ents. They might have been made as mockery of ents, but not like orcs. Anyway, this is starting to be a bit too academic for fiction created by man long gone. We can't ask the source, so question remains unanswered.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote