AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old September 22, 2014, 11:11   #271
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Did you ever consider making staves more like Angband rods?
This is an interesting idea. I think I originally chose to use the staff effect rather than the rod effect because I didn't like the resting that rods encourage and I also liked the longer term strategic aspect. Once I introduced the minimum depth, the former issue is mostly moot (though people might still rest when they don't realise this is making the game harder down the line). If I were doing it over (and knowing that TOME 4 and other games got good use out of short cool-downs) I might do them like Angband rods, but it is not sufficiently clear an improvement to want to change now.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2014, 18:52   #272
bagori nd
Apprentice

bagori nd is on a distinguished road
I think the main advantage of having rod-like staves is that it could add interesting choices for character planning.

If you know you will always have access to a given staff, it may make sense to partially tailor your build around it. In the simplest cases this may just mean not taking a given song you otherwise would have (_freedom, _slumber). In other cases (_earthquakes, _warding, _foes) the implications may be more interesting.
bagori nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2014, 19:19   #273
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
What if staves were forgeable? Or if you could recharge staves at forges? Or if there were a song that let you recharge staves (perhaps a rather noisy one)?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2014, 19:35   #274
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Maybe 'channeling' could make staves gradually recharge
Old September 22, 2014, 19:41   #275
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagori nd View Post
I think the main advantage of having rod-like staves is that it could add interesting choices for character planning.

If you know you will always have access to a given staff, it may make sense to partially tailor your build around it. In the simplest cases this may just mean not taking a given song you otherwise would have (_freedom, _slumber). In other cases (_earthquakes, _warding, _foes) the implications may be more interesting.
In the case of earthquakes/majesty, you'd be making horns of terror/blasting basically redundant. _slumber is an interesting case, some of my characters never find it, others seem to end up with 4 or 5, I wonder if there's a sweet depth for them which I occasionally dive past or whether it's just how the RNG pans out.

Edit: Sil kind of already has rods, the horns.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014, 00:05   #276
T-Mick
Adept

T-Mick is on a distinguished road
Let Channeling squeeze out extra charges at the expense of points of Will, like Masterpiece. Eventually, it will get hard to even activate the staff.
T-Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014, 10:49   #277
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
Let Channeling squeeze out extra charges at the expense of points of Will, like Masterpiece. Eventually, it will get hard to even activate the staff.
It actually would make it a viable option for low will chars, while completely horrible for high will ones. This feels wrong to me.

The easiest way to implement extra charges would be to let channeling auto-identify staffs. (Both use-ID and understanding cost charges. Also a welcome little nerf to loremaster.)
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014, 23:51   #278
damn
Rookie

damn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
It actually would make it a viable option for low will chars, while completely horrible for high will ones. This feels wrong to me.

The easiest way to implement extra charges would be to let channeling auto-identify staffs. (Both use-ID and understanding cost charges. Also a welcome little nerf to loremaster.)
I agree. channeling seems so a poor ability to me, I think it need a little buff (please instruct me about it's valuable use if I'm wrong).
damn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014, 23:55   #279
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by damn View Post
I agree. channeling seems so a poor ability to me, I think it need a little buff (please instruct me about it's valuable use if I'm wrong).
It's the best ability to take with any leftover experience you have the turn before winning the game.
Old September 24, 2014, 04:43   #280
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Channeling is fine, it's just a niche ability. Either useless or necessary depending on the build. It's one of the few ways to do the throne room on a non-melee/non-singer and almost necessary for a horn-build. I'd take it over inner light if I want majesty and can build a feanorian lamp of brightness.

I like taptap's idea of id for staffs. Sometimes it would be good to know you have a staff of sanctity rather than say summoning/entrapment. Of course I can tell from the number of charges. The current setup is almost id anyway if you know which staffs have what no. of charges and what depth they tend to appear.

Last edited by wobbly; September 24, 2014 at 04:52.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote