Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 7, 2010, 15:20   #1
mattdp
Rookie

mattdp is on a distinguished road
Am I safe to dive?

Actually, I just wanted to play with the neat character dump tool:
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10319

This character is really new territory for me. Not in terms of depth but firstly because he's the first non-paladin I've had that's gotten to any kind of meaningful depth and secondly because he's been so absurdly lucky with high resists on Elvenkind items. I've not done stat gain and I've already got all the most important high resists covered: RPois, RConf and RDis if I need it, plus telepathy.

At 2000' I'm finding it idiotically easy to OOD everything in sight. So I decided to start diving rather than waiting for more stat potions which was become very dull. Am I safe (or indeed wise) to carry on diving without maxxed stats or am I asking for trouble here?
mattdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2010, 18:02   #2
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, your character looks fit to dive. After 3.0 came out, it doesn't make much sense to hang around stat gain simply farming potions because the drops were reduced so much. You have all the main resists (conf, blind, base) and the required abilities (FA, telepathy).

Keep in mind your OOD won't be able to mow down everything as you get deeper; you will obviously need to pick and choose your fights more and maybe use other techniques where necessary (like softening them up with a bow before OOD). Don't forget to use your Blesses when shooting/meleeing to increase hit chance.

Looks promising! Good luck
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2010, 16:41   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post
Actually, I just wanted to play with the neat character dump tool:
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10319

This character is really new territory for me. Not in terms of depth but firstly because he's the first non-paladin I've had that's gotten to any kind of meaningful depth and secondly because he's been so absurdly lucky with high resists on Elvenkind items. I've not done stat gain and I've already got all the most important high resists covered: RPois, RConf and RDis if I need it, plus telepathy.

At 2000' I'm finding it idiotically easy to OOD everything in sight. So I decided to start diving rather than waiting for more stat potions which was become very dull. Am I safe (or indeed wise) to carry on diving without maxxed stats or am I asking for trouble here?
Yes and no. You need to know what you are facing. Avoid all faster-than-you monsters that look even remotely dangeous. With that in mind diving is better strategy than staying and waiting for stat-potions.

After you find good weapon I find it easier to just melee everything using defensive preparation spells and 0% failure healing when needed. Runes of protection are especially useful in melee against creatures that do not have extreme distance attacks. Prepare a corridor with those, lure monster in, melee until rune breaks, step back to another, continue melee.

Most feared melee-monster with your speed would be Grand Master Mystic. One round against that and you are dead. Several of the Dragon-family and few others can also kill you in single turn against your speed.

So be careful, but dive. High stealth helps a bit.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2010, 17:41   #4
mattdp
Rookie

Thanks for your advice. Both very useful and appropriate as my constant tossing out of OOD ran into trouble against my first Drolem.

Beat it as suggested by filling a corridor with glyphs and shooting at it with that monster bow.

I'm surprised melee is viable at this stage with just two attacks and a ceiling of four at best. But I'll give it a try and be careful. I'll feel a lot happier once I get access to the best healing spells.

A question - I'm perplexed as to what the point of dispel evil and dispel undead are. Surely with dispel evil at least, OOD is always better - with double damage against evil monsters and burst effect it actually does more damage and hits more targets for less mana than Dispel Evil?
Old June 8, 2010, 17:59   #5
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A question - I'm perplexed as to what the point of dispel evil and dispel undead are. Surely with dispel evil at least, OOD is always better - with double damage against evil monsters and burst effect it actually does more damage and hits more targets for less mana than Dispel Evil?
If you enter a pit through the wall *opposite* the door, using stoneToMud, you can get in before any monsters go into the moat, and dispel evil will hit 90+ monsters.

Dispel undead is a horribly cursed spell that tempts you to try the same thing with a graveyard. Resist the temptation.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2010, 21:15   #6
ramier
Rookie

ramier is on a distinguished road
I'm new around here. What's OOD?
ramier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2010, 21:27   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
OoD: Orb of Draining, one of the few priest attack spells. It fires a ball effect that is unresistable and deals double damage to evil monsters. The damage also scales with your level, so it remains fairly effective for a goodly period of time.

OoD: Out of Depth, when a monster or item shows up before it's supposed to.

Which one is intended, you can generally glork from context.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2010, 10:23   #8
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
OoD: Orb of Draining, one of the few priest attack spells. It fires a ball effect that is unresistable and deals double damage to evil monsters. The damage also scales with your level, so it remains fairly effective for a goodly period of time.
It is effective enough that I have killed M several times using only it. At 7 mana and radius of 3 and nearly 200 point damage at center against evil at clvl 50 it is very effective against groups of monsters, wiping out weak summoners etc.. It also used to destroy cursed items making ID a bit easier for priests, but that is no longer the case.

With that radius it actually hits monsters that are beyond your LoS, which sometimes makes possible to kill creatures that are dangerous but "do not chase" you and/or have shorter detection range than your LoS by hitting them with splash-effect at safe distance. Takes forever against larger opponents, but is doable.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2010, 13:07   #9
mattdp
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
If you enter a pit through the wall *opposite* the door, using stoneToMud, you can get in before any monsters go into the moat, and dispel evil will hit 90+ monsters.
Ah, thanks. I've been playing this game on and off for years, and it looks like I totally misunderstood the LoS rules the entire time. I assumed a monster blocked LoS to the square behind it, but your description suggests not. If that's the case, then the point of this spell becomes clear
Old June 9, 2010, 15:26   #10
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ah, thanks. I've been playing this game on and off for years, and it looks like I totally misunderstood the LoS rules the entire time. I assumed a monster blocked LoS to the square behind it, but your description suggests not. If that's the case, then the point of this spell becomes clear
Most of the beam spells (and archery) do work like you described, but most of the ball spells (e.g. OoD, stinking cloud, etc) allow you to place the ball wherever you want.

If you set the base delay setting to something non-zero you can actually see ascii animations of the beam/ball, which help figure out what happened.