Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 20, 2010, 17:12   #101
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
With linear stats you just remove the checks for if the stat is >= 18 so it always behaves like stats from 3-18. Ninja'd. Oh well.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2010, 17:56   #102
Dean Anderson
Adept

Dean Anderson is on a distinguished road
I'd prefer the "percentages" to be dropped, but I also like that at high levels potions have lesser effect.

So my ideal solution (and I used this in Cthangband) was to leave the underlying value with the same 3-118 range and leave bonuses as they are, but simply change the display code so that instead of displaying anything above 18 as percentages, it instead gets displayed as whole numbers up to 40.

It's a really trivial change to make, and doesn't affect any kind of game balance because all that's changing is the way numbers are displayed.
Dean Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2010, 19:38   #103
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I was resting to recharge an unided rod so I could test it on a trap, and got the message that my rod of disarming had recharged. Sure enough, a rod of disarming in my pack. I am nearly certain [what a meaningless phrase!] it was unaware before the message.

Has this already been reported? I vaguely remember reading something similar, but couldn't find anything searching the forum on various words starting recharg nor clicking on the new bugs link on trac.
I have been unable to reproduce this.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2010, 20:19   #104
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
I have been unable to reproduce this.
Excellent, thank you for the update. We have only two known bugs left and then 3.2 can be released.

The double-tile-breaks-macros thing we have diagnosed: the redraw mega-hack in screen_load(). It's just a case of thinking up a solution that doesn't break big tiles.

The p-not-recognising-inscriptions thing is easily fixable, but we've decided to unify the p and m commands to sort it properly. Priests and paladins have no fear: the class pref files will automatically map p to m, so your muscle memory (and inscriptions) will work fine.

So hopefully we'll be releasing some time in the next couple of days, unless any more major bugs arise.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2010, 21:01   #105
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
The double-tile-breaks-macros thing we have diagnosed: the redraw mega-hack in screen_load().
It's a little sad that I made so many mega-hacks they need separate names.
Old December 20, 2010, 21:52   #106
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Excellent, thank you for the update. We have only two known bugs left and then 3.2 can be released.
I have three which I thought I had made a track ticket but apparently I didn't. I'll make them now.

1. Game is slow for some reason when you use "overhead" term window and there is unseen monster activity nearby. That's noticeable at a degree that you know there is a monster nearby by the fact that game slows down at very early levels, not so much deeper in dungeon when there is always lots of monsters around.

2. Entire "overhead" -term window flickers when there is a visible monster with flicker on.

3. Stretched "Map" term window doesn't get properly updated, it leaves behind traces of areas that should not be there. To reproduce you need to "Look around" with look command, when you change sector in look-command same happens in map term window, and also when char passes sector border so that map moves to next position same happens.

1 and 2 might be related in that overhead view probably uses a lot of CPU to track monsters (even unseen ones) and refresh screen.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2010, 22:04   #107
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
1. Game is slow for some reason when you use "overhead" term window and there is unseen monster activity nearby.
I don't know what you mean by "overhead", but I could tell the difference running once and I think it was because there was a pit nearby. I was playing a warrior without any source of monster detection, so I cannot be sure. Might there be some call to refresh when a nearby non-visible monster gets a turn?

Maybe the current big coders are playing on machines less than 5 years old and cannot notice slowdowns as easily.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2010, 22:07   #108
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by "overhead".
Term window with entire map visible. Names of those two are IMO wrong way around. Map shows you only part of the dungeon, and overhead shows entire dungeon.
Old December 20, 2010, 22:10   #109
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Maybe the current big coders are playing on machines less than 5 years old and cannot notice slowdowns as easily.
I do most coding/playing on a netbook (1GHz atom processor, 1GB RAM) which is not huge but is certainly not an old 486.

I have been looking at the flicker code (although I think it may be platform-specific because it performed well in some tests I ran) but I should do more testing under WINE (it may relate to how main-win does refreshes, I'm not sure). I wasn't able to get serious slow-downs under SDL or GCU.

Does anyone else notice these slowdowns? If so, on which platform(s)?

I am not sure these issues will be able to be closed before 3.2 is out, but I will try to make sure they are in trac.
Old December 20, 2010, 23:05   #110
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
Does anyone else notice these slowdowns? If so, on which platform(s)?
To get that start a new char, open a overhead term window, find a breeder and wake it up, then retreat to place where you can be safely while they move at the other side of the wall. Look how much time you use resting.

It isn't bad slowdown, not in modern computers, but it is slowdown that can actually be noticed, which is quite odd, considering how old this game is. It should run in modern computers so fast that no slowdown could possibly be perceivable.

It gets a lot worse if there is a flickering monster nearby. Actually it might require turning real-time flicker on, because I don't recall seeing that slowdown without it. Also switching to map term window instead of overhead window almost (but not completely) eliminates the slowdown.