Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 21, 2013, 22:59   #1
Alice
Rookie

Alice is on a distinguished road
A Newbie says hello! (Questions inside)

Salutations! Before continuing, I would like to extend a very warm thank-you to the maintainers (and original creators) for such a fantastic game.

Now--I am not 'new' to Angband, in the sense that I've only just started playing. Rather, I've not succeeded to get much further than clvl 15 in most of my playthroughs over the years, and I attribute that to my overly-conservative playstyle and resistance to diving out of my safe-zone. My Angband career has essentially been a vicious cycle of early-grinding.

To help facilitate my change in style, I've decided I was going to use disconnected stairs (to discourage cheap escapes) and force myself to carry consumables and escapes as I find/afford them, and make it a priority to dive as quickly as my sanity will allow to 1000' (picking up things on the way, of course).

At the moment I am playing a clvl 11 Elf Ranger at 550' who has already had several close calls (the most recent being an open room full of wolves which I eventually killed) and I am about to head back into town to replenish !C*W and ?PD before going any deeper.

Is there anything specific that I might have to look out for between 500'-1000' that might be dangerous to face without prior knowledge? (I'll post a dump when my inventory makes sense and doesn't look like such a mess)

Also, what does the (xN) multiplier on the bows represent? Is it a critical multiplier for the launcher, and damage itself is determined by arrows fired?
I have a Longbow (+5, +3) and a Shortbow (+5, +5), and I was wondering which between these I should use.

Lastly, is it smart to conserve identify scrolls for jewelry and test-by-use everything else, now that sticky curses are out in 3.4?

Edit: Here is my character in the ladder, which I will keep up-to-date.

Last edited by Alice; January 22, 2013 at 20:16.
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013, 23:27   #2
Oramin
Swordsman

Oramin is on a distinguished road
Why aren't you wearing any armor?
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013, 23:39   #3
Alice
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramin View Post
Why aren't you wearing any armor?
I never started with any, and had hoped I would find something in my first trip.

It's actually the first thing I remedied after posting that, lol. I updated the character dump with the armors.
Old January 21, 2013, 23:45   #4
Oramin
Swordsman

Ok, let me tell you now, as somebody who has a conservative play style and has multiple winners (look for the thread I started) - it isn't your conservative play style that is causing the problem. It is your gear.

By the time you've managed to hit 550' (L11), I would expect you to have - at a minimum - a (+5, +5) Long Bow.

Also, "don't enter the dungeon naked - the monsters will laugh at you". You still don't seem to be wearing a helmet.

The first 15 to 20 levels of the dungeon, upgrade your armor.
Old January 21, 2013, 23:54   #5
Alice
Rookie

Thanks for being patient with me--I guess my priorities are a bit skewed.
In those cases where I haven't found that Longbow (+5, +5) by 500' (etc.), would you recommend that I slow down and allow my gear to catch up, or dive still deeper and take my lack of finds in stride?
Old January 21, 2013, 23:59   #6
Oramin
Swordsman

Really, it depends on what you find/buy. For example, if you find Sting and some Dragon Scale Mail, you really don't need the ranged weapon (as long as you have Free action from something).

As I said, I play conservatively, if I have a close call on a level, I grind that level, taking expensive stuff upstairs to sell (assuming you aren't using the "No Sell" option). The Black Market frequently has good stuff.

The first 10 levels or so, I'm usually wearing 2 Rings of Protection for the extra AC without the extra weight.

So, I'd play conservatively, I think Timo was the one who said he dives like a lunatic. Until you get more experience, I'd recommend the conservative style.
Old January 22, 2013, 00:11   #7
Alice
Rookie

I went ahead and bought the one =Protect<+8> the store carried. Thank you for the advice.

I'll descend again and see how things turn out.
Old January 22, 2013, 00:49   #8
Alice
Rookie

Wormtongue, Brodda and Mhugash were all on one level (550'), and I defeated the former two as well as most everything else besides Mhugash and his cronies. I decided to wait until I replenished my stock of arrows and potions to fight him, and have since recalled back into town.

Are there spoiler tags in these forums? Dumps take up a lot of room and I don't want to spam them, but it would be nice to record and share my progress for criticism.

Edit: I've overwritten the old dump in the first post with my current one. I'll probably just do that to keep this thread easy to read. (I've replaced the damaged armors with new ones after posting this.)

Last edited by Alice; January 22, 2013 at 01:13.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:04   #9
Oramin
Swordsman

There were a couple of questions I didn't answer, I'll post them here to make it easier for people to address:

Also, what does the (xN) multiplier on the bows represent? Is it a critical multiplier for the launcher, and damage itself is determined by arrows fired?
I have a Longbow (+5, +3) and a Shortbow (+5, +5), and I was wondering which between these I should use.

Lastly, is it smart to conserve identify scrolls for jewelry and test-by-use everything else, now that sticky curses are out in 3.4?

The (xN) multiplier is the amount that the missile is multiplied by. Short version, higher multiplier, more damage. Longer answer is that it depends and that you should 'I'nspect your weapon (or, in this case, the ammo) to see how much damage you will do. Note that you need to have the right launcher equipped to determine the damage done by a given ammo.

You look like you're using a heavy weapon. Lighter weapons might give you more attacks. Again 'I'nspect the weapons to determine damage potentials.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:33   #10
Alice
Rookie

Okay, good to know about the bow damages. The longbow does do higher damage, so I went ahead and sold the shortbow.

As of right now, I can only hit once with any weapon so I might as well make it count. I considered using a maul with plusses I found that hit a little harder than the flail, but I decided against it and sold it. My current indecision is on three nice rods in my possession (Curing, Illumination, Treasure Location). Each of them has good utility as long as I have space for them (and each sell for ~600gp each), but I am wondering if it is worth it instead to sell one or two to go broke on a _teleport I have my eyes on in the magic shop.

Edit: Updated the character dump again. Also, I've gone ahead and sold the -illumination and now have the _teleportation (8 charges). Life insurance, awww yes.

Last edited by Alice; January 22, 2013 at 02:45.