Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 30, 2014, 22:43   #1
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Steamband question

If I gain a lot of levels at once, I actually hurt my character's progression based on how Steamband 'unlocks' abilities. Is there a way around this that I'm missing?

Specifically, I'm playing in Wonderland mode and often go from level 1 to level 16, which sounds great... but I'm level 16 with a trailblazer score and standard combat score at '3'... and I need these to be higher to unlock more things down the road.
HallucinationMushroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014, 10:07   #2
thapper
Adept

thapper is on a distinguished road
I don't know any way around this, but I would also be excited to hear about it if it exists. Perhaps it is one of the reasons that Wonderland mode is marked as broken?
thapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014, 13:31   #3
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

Thanks. I figured there wasn't a way around it. It's probably most obvious in Wonderland mode, but I've hit several levels at once in regular mode lately too, just not 16!.. only maybe 4-5. I'm assuming this is just a glitch, or bug, and not purposeful game design... but I could be wrong. In any case, I'm just going to debug-mode fix my character somehow since I can't program-fix it.
Old July 2, 2014, 17:26   #4
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
In town (in your home I think) you can buy skill limit increases (up to 20). That doesn't help you in Wonderland mode, though.

Last edited by EpicMan; July 2, 2014 at 17:26. Reason: spelling
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014, 18:33   #5
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

Oh wow, I've never noticed that before, thanks for pointing this out. That would actually solve my problem, but I just noticed that skill max cost rises as your character levels up. It starts out at 750 gold per point, which is just fine by me... but my Wonderland characters who make it to town are about 20-25 and by that time the cost per point is 15,000 gold!

If I can steal enough expensive loot it still might be worth it to speed up progress on some of the skill trees.
Old July 4, 2014, 16:59   #6
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
I'm amazed that you got a wonderland character to town, or anywhere outside of the first few levels. This makes me want to play Steam again.
Old July 4, 2014, 18:59   #7
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

From what I recall from the characters of yours I've seen, you play really hardcore. I am playing it softcore... as I am stairscumming the hell out of wonderland mode! I don't see any way around this, but I thought I'd put it out there in case somebody has made it out alive without this tactic. Also, I've only had one non-ghost make it to town. The other being a giant with extreme patience and madly toned calves.

The experience leap I'm getting comes from drinking un'id potions. It's not until I hit maybe 20 levels away from start than I can kill something if I must. I'm also maxing stealth, which is something I would never do with a non-wonderland.
Old August 15, 2014, 11:07   #8
mewmew
Apprentice

mewmew is on a distinguished road
I don't want to create a separate thread, but I have a couple of Steamband questions too.

If I press g to gain stats on level up and some of my stats were previously drained, do they get the stat gain after I restore them or it's wasted for them? I know I should probably write down and check but it's not that easy to do, to write down your stats every level till they get drained, may be somebody knows already?

When I turn identified books to the library they cost 1-4 points, but sometimes I actually get less points that their price. I turned a book ('Through the Looking-Glass') for 4 points recently and got just 1, it was frustrating. I even fell into superstition and now turn books only with full hp, sp, wp and no drained stats :3 still sometimes I get 1 instead of 2, sometimes I get 2 of 2 and I have no idea why. Actually when I wrote this I got another idea, I mostly identify books with a spell and it may be the reason... but I peek into their contents too, I clearly recall I peeked into 'Through the looking glass' before turning it to the library. So, from now on I will not identify them by spells/ I doubt it helps though.
mewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2014, 00:18   #9
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
It's been awhile. Doesn't returning book to the library get you skill points to spend on character development?
Old August 16, 2014, 01:22   #10
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmew View Post
IWhen I turn identified books to the library they cost 1-4 points, but sometimes I actually get less points that their price. I turned a book ('Through the Looking-Glass') for 4 points recently and got just 1, it was frustrating. I even fell into superstition and now turn books only with full hp, sp, wp and no drained stats :3 still sometimes I get 1 instead of 2, sometimes I get 2 of 2 and I have no idea why. Actually when I wrote this I got another idea, I mostly identify books with a spell and it may be the reason... but I peek into their contents too, I clearly recall I peeked into 'Through the looking glass' before turning it to the library. So, from now on I will not identify them by spells/ I doubt it helps though.
My recollection is that using 'I' on the book is enough to get you the full price on return.