Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old July 16, 2011, 21:51   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The message indicating the scroll was a mimic should show up before any references to a mimic being hit do.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2011, 22:15   #12
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The message indicating the scroll was a mimic should show up before any references to a mimic being hit do.
I wouldn't have thought so. If you miss it, you don't know it's not an object, do you?
Old July 16, 2011, 23:05   #13
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I wouldn't have thought so. If you miss it, you don't know it's not an object, do you?
I guess the problem is not so much that the second message should go first as that after the first message, it's redundant and inappropriate. It's already acknowledged to be a scroll mimic, but then you're stepping backwards and just now noticing that it's not a scroll? Logically, it should probably read:

Code:
The Bolt (1d5) (+0, +0) hit the Scroll titled "ibus or an".  It was a good hit!
The Scroll titled "ibus or an" was really a monster!
The Scroll mimic dies.
But if that's too awkward, it might be simplest to remove the redundant message entirely and just display:

Code:
The Bolt (1d5) (+0, +0) hit the Scroll mimic.  It was a good hit!
The Scroll mimic dies.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2011, 00:31   #14
CunningGabe
Swordsman

CunningGabe is on a distinguished road
The tricky thing is that the message "The (such and such) is really a monster!" comes up whenever the player becomes aware of a mimic -- which isn't necessarily from hitting the monster. So I don't know if it's possible to avoid the message completely. But I should fit the message into the monster message system.

Really, the whole messaging thing needs to be looked at and rethought. The monster messages tend to be sequenced well by themselves, but the non-monster messages are usually printed right when they are computed. There should probably be one master buffer that gets cleared once a turn. Maybe each message could be assigned a numeric priority so that, for instance, "You die" always appears at the end.
CunningGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2011, 12:06   #15
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningGabe View Post
The tricky thing is that the message "The (such and such) is really a monster!" comes up whenever the player becomes aware of a mimic -- which isn't necessarily from hitting the monster. So I don't know if it's possible to avoid the message completely. But I should fit the message into the monster message system.

Really, the whole messaging thing needs to be looked at and rethought. The monster messages tend to be sequenced well by themselves, but the non-monster messages are usually printed right when they are computed. There should probably be one master buffer that gets cleared once a turn. Maybe each message could be assigned a numeric priority so that, for instance, "You die" always appears at the end.
+1. I've been struggling for ages with how to fix message sequencing, and this is it. It's a big job though!