Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old June 21, 2011, 21:06   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I suspect that the problem here is that -10 in that code doesn't actually mean "half speed"; there's probably some weird interpretation of that speed value that's causing -10 to mean "one third speed". That's a bug. The fact that monsters are so easily slowed is another.
I've changed it to -5, and that seems to be exactly half speed. It shouldn't be, but that's how it's playing in staging. So that's ok then.

I've also upped the saving throws a little - let me know if it's still not enough. Yes, uniques get a second save, so slightly more than twice the chance of saving.

I've also reduced the duration from 50 to 20. That's long enough to be useful without being uber. Again, let me know how it plays once it's in the next RC.
Old June 21, 2011, 22:34   #12
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I've changed it to -5, and that seems to be exactly half speed. It shouldn't be, but that's how it's playing in staging. So that's ok then.

I've also upped the saving throws a little - let me know if it's still not enough. Yes, uniques get a second save, so slightly more than twice the chance of saving.

I've also reduced the duration from 50 to 20. That's long enough to be useful without being uber. Again, let me know how it plays once it's in the next RC.
Could other wands (devices, spells) have the same problem?

How was the problem introduced? (is the best fix to simply revert the original behaviour)?

A.
Old June 21, 2011, 23:10   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Could other wands (devices, spells) have the same problem?
You mean doubled effects? I don't think so - I think the problem is specific to speed. Specific to slowing, in fact - since hasted monsters correctly move at double speed.
Quote:
How was the problem introduced? (is the best fix to simply revert the original behaviour)?
I don't know. The problem is that slow monster has been so useless for so long, it's hard to tell how long the problem has been around. It could be ancient (though having said that, the most likely candidate is the introduction of the MON_TMD_ system in ~January).
Old June 21, 2011, 23:24   #14
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is it directly energy? -5 energy is half the normal speed 10 energy. Then normal speed monster would practically stop with -10.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011, 00:02   #15
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Is it directly energy? -5 energy is half the normal speed 10 energy. Then normal speed monster would practically stop with -10.
Which is why I don't think it could be directly energy. My experience is pretty consistent: hit the monster with the wand once, they start moving at 1/3rd normal speed. The "one in five" I reported earlier was simply because I was in melee at the time and using a weapon that gave 1.6 blows/round.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011, 00:06   #16
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Which is why I don't think it could be directly energy. My experience is pretty consistent: hit the monster with the wand once, they start moving at 1/3rd normal speed. The "one in five" I reported earlier was simply because I was in melee at the time and using a weapon that gave 1.6 blows/round.
Ok, I have just pushed a new RC build which contains the fixes I described above. You should now see monsters moving at half speed after a successful zap.
Old June 22, 2011, 11:56   #17
Storch
Scout

Storch is on a distinguished road
Slowing, confusing ...

Since when is slowing, sleeping, confusing monsters effective in V? I remember that it never did much and so I just discard wands of Slow, Sleep, Confuse, do not use the spells etc. Seems to be a wrong habit. Did I miss something?
Storch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011, 15:52   #18
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storch View Post
Since when is slowing, sleeping, confusing monsters effective in V? I remember that it never did much and so I just discard wands of Slow, Sleep, Confuse, do not use the spells etc. Seems to be a wrong habit. Did I miss something?
Well now, you know how some people are really pleased that there's loads of development going on, and other people think it's awful etc. etc.? Well this is one of the side effects: effects which sleep/slow/confuse monsters have been slightly reworked to make them slightly more useful. In fact we went a bit too far and made them too useful (by accident), hence this thread. So we're, um, rebalancing them. The idea is to make them useful but not overpowered, so your decision whether to carry or throw away those wands is a real decision, rather than a no-brainer either way.
Old June 22, 2011, 16:11   #19
Storch
Scout

Storch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well now, you know how some people are really pleased that there's loads of development going on, and other people think it's awful etc. etc.? Well this is one of the side effects: effects which sleep/slow/confuse monsters have been slightly reworked to make them slightly more useful. In fact we went a bit too far and made them too useful (by accident), hence this thread. So we're, um, rebalancing them. The idea is to make them useful but not overpowered, so your decision whether to carry or throw away those wands is a real decision, rather than a no-brainer either way.
Thanks! It seems I will have to enjoy it while it lasts. It's great that these formerly absolutely useless spells and wands will do what they are supposed to :-)
Storch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2011, 02:24   #20
CunningGabe
Swordsman

CunningGabe is on a distinguished road
Turns out there were a couple of bugs. First of all, monsters were sometimes being slowed even when you saw the message that they were unaffected. Second, whenever the timer for the monster-slowing effect counted down 1, the monster was slowed again, each time. I just sent in a pull request, so these will be fixed in 3.3.
CunningGabe is offline   Reply With Quote