AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old July 5, 2011, 19:45   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
It just takes time to traverse them, you can't run, lighting does not work. It's just easier to avoid it, or if you have to pass through it to reach the other part of the dungeon, I'll try my luck on teleport first. And no it is not a strategic decision when you do something riskier to avoid doing something boring...
Hm, I didn't find them that tedious to navigate, but oh well. What if there were large numbers of monsters in the destroyed section?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011, 20:05   #12
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Hm, I didn't find them that tedious to navigate, but oh well. What if there were large numbers of monsters in the destroyed section?
I would prefer that levels succumb to earthquake like effects rather than full destruction. You can even do a "muted" earthquake that doesn't effect the "room status" of squares so you can still light up the rooms.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011, 20:07   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Also an interesting idea, but I still maintain that the destructed levels were great for flavor and interesting to fight in.
Old July 5, 2011, 21:04   #14
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Perhaps the running/lighting fixes for cavern levels could also be applied to destroyed levels and fix some of the frustration.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011, 21:07   #15
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Another way to change up a level would be to have some levels with double-wide hallways, I.e. two spaces wide, instead of single-width. Or just let that sometimes happen with any level.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011, 21:09   #16
jens
Swordsman

jens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
Another way to change up a level would be to have some levels with double-wide hallways, I.e. two spaces wide, instead of single-width. Or just let that sometimes happen with any level.
Yes, I'd like this, I have wanted it for a long time... I want more space in the dungeon in general, but people usually say that it gets too dangerous then. Well that's what we want right?
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011, 21:17   #17
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
My strong advice is to simply increase the number of monsters per level. This leads to more interesting situations where the player has to deal with multiple monsters (perhaps with quite different capabilities) at once, and creates a more 'hectic' feel.

I did this in Quickband and it seems to work. It's also an extremely easy change to make

A.
Old July 5, 2011, 21:17   #18
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
I've actually wanted to add this, but have had some difficulty in figuring out how to put it in the code. We could make double wide hallways for sections of passages, that is somewhat more straightforward.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011, 22:02   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Presumably in the current hallway placement there's a bit of code that looks something like this:
Code:
For each point p in the desired corridor:
    map[p.x][p.y] = empty space
If you want double-wide corridors, you can just do this:
Code:
For each point p in the desired corridor:
    map[p.x][p.y] = empty space
    map[p.x][p.y - 1] = empty space
    map[p.x - 1][p.y - 1] = empty space
    map[p.x - 1][p.y] = empty space
Just remember to check that the additional spaces are not out of bounds.

...hm, or that there's any structure they could overwrite. I don't know exactly where a corridor ends currently, but it should be fairly easy to spot if this change causes problems e.g. by damaging vaults, poking holes in pits, etc.

I'm all for making the player face down multiple enemies at once, as soon as doing so is no longer gambling that both monsters won't use their "Slightly more than half-kill the player" moves on the same turn. This is a bit of a problem with the late game.
Old July 6, 2011, 00:33   #20
CunningGabe
Swordsman

CunningGabe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I like the stuff that's been done to vary the look of the dungeon levels so far in 3.3, and I think there needs to be more added along those lines. Some ideas:

* More variety in level layouts and the shape and size of rooms in general. Maybe more use of permanent rock outside of vaults?

* More types of monsters found in pits and nests, and variable sizes and shapes for them. Dragon and demon pits could have toned-down varieties on the lower levels, say smaller rooms containing only baby and young dragons or lesser demons. There could be mixed dragon nests as well as pits containing only one variety. Ants, bats, birds, reptiles, snakes, spiders would all work well as lower-level nests; kobolds, dark elves, naga and hydra could appear in small-scale pits.

* How about nests themed by monster abilities rather than species, e.g. a nest full of all cold/fire/poisonous monsters? How about entire levels themed that way?

* More smaller-scale vault type rooms, with traps and/or monsters guarding say a single mildly OOD treasure, a level appropriate chest, or a guaranteed number of in-depth treasures. (How about 3x3 rooms containing a stash of similar items, such as cash, scrolls, potions or mushrooms? How about evil ones with a mimic or two slipped in there among the items?)

It would be cool if layouts for pits/nests and just general room designs could be loaded from edit files like the vaults, so everybody could have a crack at designing new types and share them around.
I'm interested in a lot of these, and d_m has talked about similar things. The contents of monster nests / pits is already pulled out to an edit file (pit.txt), but not the layouts. I am planning in the near future to add some other pit layouts, particularly smaller ones, so that we can make pits more common, especially at lower levels.

I agree that ultimately, it would be nice for as much room design as possible to be pulled out to edit files. d_m has done a lot of work in refactoring the dungeon generation code, which should help make such a thing feasible. Coming up with a good edit file format will probably prove challenging, though.
CunningGabe is offline   Reply With Quote